Welcome to the forum

Josh Maynard: National Youth Series (Round 3)

edited May 2008 in Road Racing
Josh Maynard: National Series
On Sunday the 25th of May my dad (Richard Maynard) drove me 120 miles to Deal, which is on the coast of Kent. Fowlmead Park is an old slagheap with perfectly smooth roads going all around it and as I’m under 14 I would be doing the short circuit. I was fairly confident that I could finish the race until the girls race when two people crashed apparently only due to water. Well if it took only a bit of water to unseat experienced cyclists I was starting to weigh up my chances of finishing my first lap. The line up as we all stood on the line didn’t do anything to calm my nerves. Two spaces to my right was the leading points champion in England next to him was a guy I had raced against before and in that race he had been so keen to win that he knocked someone off their bike in the sprint. On my left, the boy he had pushed off and another space to the left was the National series leader cycling for the British cycling talent team. We set off and immediately someone attacked and I just managed to stay with the break. I quickly found myself at the front and just as my turn was over the two points leaders attacked and I found myself stuck behind a non-goer, so I missed the split. My group of five after a couple of laps started to catch up with the next group but in my moments of relaxed slipstream I had spotted a inhibiting factor to our efforts. Two of the five riders weren’t working but just hanging on to us like a group of two wheeled parasites. So as we got out of view of the spectators I gave them a piece of my mind, which sounded a bit like this “You either work or get the hell out of my group.” So they took their choice and dropped of the back of our group. Then there were three. And that’s how I finished the race in about 10th.

Comments

• Well done Josh, you made it round despite all that could have happened. Thanks for posting your report

Trahern