Welcome to the forum

Very basic advice - I know nothing!

edited February 2015 in Members only
Could someone advise me as to general psi levels to put in my wheels for varying surfaces, I realise this is probably VERY basic, but it's all a little new to me!

Road in dry conditions -
Road in wet conditions -
Rollers -

Guessing there are loads on permeations, but this should get me started!

I've been riding a lot (for me) on rollers at 70 psi, tried 80 and found I went quicker easier! Should I therefore try 90!

I'm hoping to come along to the three tuns tomorrow night and meet some club members, and also do first club ride on Wednesday (if it's not too frosty).

Thanks in advance, and apologies for being a dimebar!

Comments

• edited February 2015
    I ride around 110 on dry road, 90-100 in the wet/cold.

I'm guessing there will lots of preferences on this.....

P.S. Welcome! You can jump in at the deep end and try your hand at the puncture repair challenge tomorrow at the Tuns! Although 100 psi with a hand pump could be tricky!
  • Thanks matt,

I will watch the challenge!! My puncture repair skills date back to using a washing bowl of water, chalk, sandpaper??? and glue and patch! Could go for world record slowest!
  • I'm with Matt on this. About 90-100psi for the winter and a bit more for the summer (115)
  • Thanks David. Look forwards to picking peoples brains tonight, looks like I've been a bit under inflated!
  • edited February 2015
    Free February Dime Bar to the first 10 people at tonight's Club night!

null

From about 8pm. Clubman of the Year says he'll try and make it too: just bumped into him in London village.
  • Pressures also depend on tyre volumes, so what's right for a 23 is dangerous for a 28. What tyres Mitchy?

I'm similar to the others above (23mm tyres) but will go higher for road tubs in dry conditions, but perhaps as low as 80 in slippy slidey conditions. Generally about 10-20 psi less in the front.
  • Keep em 100 psi on the rollers too, it affects handling and resistance if they are soft.

I rarely go over 100 with clinchers even in summer. Different matter with tubs.
  • According to the mechanic at Pro Cycle Hire in Mallorca, who chastised me when pumping my tyres to 110 - 115 psi; its been shown that you wont go any faster with pressures above 100psi, but you will wear your tyres out much faster.

I've always heeded his advice and don't go above 100psi either.
  • Excellent advice, tyres are 23mm. I'm going to try and arrive in time to claim a Daim bar.
  • The inner tube change challenge target is only 70psi!