Welcome to the forum

Pirates of the Cafe Bean - On Stranger Rides Sat 21st March 8.30am

FDFD
edited February 2015 in General
Yo Ho everyone

Here it is, the inaugural longer monthly ride out to further afield and train ride back:

On Stranger Rides - Ashwell to Bury St Edmunds 75 Miles via Blue Egg cafe, Long Melford & Lavenham

https://connect.garmin.com/course/8815763#

8am start required to get us home in time for the 5pm England v France 6 Nations climax game!

Cafe stops at the Blue Egg (35 miles) and Maglia Rosso cafe/bike shop (70 miles)

5 hours cycling @ around 15mph, allowing 1/2 hour at each cafe and additional hour for any repairs etc.

Aim to be in Bury for the 2.57pm train back to Ashwell via Cambridge:

Journey summary
Depart Arrive Travel By Train Company Duration
14:57 Bury St Edmunds Cambridge Station 15:39 Train GREATER ANGLIA 42m
15:55 Cambridge Station Ashwell & Morden 16:21 Train GREAT NORTHERN 26m

All welcome - hope to see you there!

FD

Comments

• Sounds great
    Cycling and rugby in one day
    Bliss

CP
  • FDFD
    edited February 2015
    Yo Ho

Now aiming for 8am start, due to grumblings from the crew and a little less time for cafe stops!

Slightly different route, subject to confirmation.

https://connect.garmin.com/course/8815763#

Fingers crossed that a south-westerly will provide us with a tailwind on the day.

Watch this space for updates.

FD
  • FDFD
    edited February 2015
    Yo Ho Buccaneers

Route reconnaissance mission today. Parked at Blue Egg Cafe Great Bardfield and set off for the Maglia Rosso Cafe.

Lovely route via Great Yeldham, Long Melford and Lavenham. Miles and miles of virtually traffic-free lanes, plenty of standing water and mud though!

Nice descent down to the Maglia Rosso, for a warm, friendly welcome. Huge chocolate brownie washed down with strong double expresso and diet coke. Mandy, behind the counter knows our club well, being involved with coaching and cyclo cross scene. I let her know that there are going to be 2 rides coming on consecutive days in March and she noted it in their diary. She asked that we phone or text beforehand and let her know numbers, so they can be ready for us.

Starting to get dark as I left for more direct route back via Broxted, Cavendish and Great Yeldham again. Lovely vermillion sunset, followed by a bright crescent moon, accompanied by brilliant Venus and Mars in the Western Sky and sparkling stars overhead to show me the way back to Great Bardfield. Fantastic and really peaceful in the quiet lanes of Suffolk and West Essex. Makes you realise just how busy and frantic the roads are in our area. Glad I had bright lights with me as completely dark by the time I arrived back at the Blue Egg, which was closed and deserted for the day.

61 miles covered in just over 4 hours, so steady base miles, harder back into the breeze.

Today's route: https://connect.garmin.com/activity/702743013

A few minor alterations required to the route to avoid the worst of the mud just outside Gt Barfield, but good to go for 21st March - all welcome!

FD
  • Sounds fantastic
    Maybe do the car thing instead of the train ?
    Your shout
    In the dairy

CP
  • FDFD
    edited February 2015
    Yo Ho

The drive over to the Blue Egg (1 hour) and an ellipitical route with a cycling cafe at the two furthest points worked well yesterday.

Saves having to rely on the train service for those that want to be back in time for the England v France rugby @5pm - also allows for a slightly later start!

Post your preference on here - are you a motor maniac or train spotter?

FD
  • Motor for me
    But train ok

CP
  • FDFD
    edited February 2015
    Maglia Rosso, extended a warm, friendly welcome. Mandy, behind the counter knows our club well, being involved with coaching and cyclo cross scene. I let her know that there are going to be 2 rides coming on consecutive days in March and she noted it in their diary.

She asked that we phone or text beforehand and let her know numbers, so they can be ready for us.

BROADSWORD CALLING DANNY BOY

FD
  • Richard burton calling
    Do Eagles dare ?

Will they get through ?
    Only if you try

Clint Eastwood
  • "Fools," said I, "you do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you"
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence

Art Garfunkel
  • FDFD
    edited March 2015
    Yo Ho buccaneers

Broadsword calling Danny Boy!

Broadsword calling Danny Boy!!

Broadsword calling Danny Boy!!!

Nope. Still radio silence. Communication redundant.

F(red) D(obbs)
  • So what is the outcome for the arrangements ?
    Train or car ?
    Can we have an update please

CP
  • FDFD
    edited March 2015
    Yo Ho, Cap'n

PARK AND RIDE

It appears that the car is the favoured option to transfer to and from the start of the ride. I can provide a car with room for another bike. You'll have to like rock music!

As a reminder, an elliptical 61 mile route through quiet North Essex and Suffolk lanes with a cycling cafe at either end of the ride. Lovely route via Great Yeldham, Long Melford and Lavenham. Miles and miles of virtually traffic-free lanes

Route: https://connect.garmin.com/activity/702743013

Suggested itinerary:

Leave Ashwell at 8.30am, arrive Blue Egg cafe, Great Bardfield at 9.30am
    Depart Blue Egg at 9.45am
    Arrive Maglia Rosso cafe around 11.45am.
    Lunch. Menu helpfully provided on another thread. No need to pre-order for our group.
    Depart Magia Rosso at 12.30pm
    Arrive at Blue Egg at 2.30pm, coffee and a bite to eat.
    Drive back from Blue Egg at 3pm, arrive back at Ashwell around 4pm.
    Watch rugby, drink beer, fall asleep.

Really looking forward to it!

FD.
  • Sounds great
    Sort cars this Sunday ?
    Happy to come with you or other
    So are all cars leaving from Ashwell at 08.30 ?

This Sunday ride a good place to sort final details
    CP
  • FDFD
    edited March 2015
    Yo Ho buccaneers

Won't be out on Sunday - Mother's Day!

Instead, hill interval training up and down the stairs supplying the Flying Dutchwoman with cups of tea and breakfast in bed.

Followed by heat acclimatisation training in front of the stove, cooking a roast dinner.

Finally, individual time 'trial', having my patience 'tested', against the clock. Timekeeper: Flying Dutchwoman.

Sort cars beforehand.

The Flailing Batman
  • FDFD
    edited March 2015
    Yo Ho

Discuss at Turkish Delight tomorrow night.

Full of Eastern promise.

Fry's Dutchman
  • Is the Flying Dutchman your mother then ??
    Genetics a bit risky on at one !

I blame the parents on this one
    CP
  • No, I'm the Flailing Dutchman, so can't be my own mother - think you meant Dutchwoman!

Drafted into the Family Team Time Trial squad by my young kids, who I dare not let loose in the kitchen

All hands to the pumps in our family when the Flying Dutchwoman has a well deserved rest from us lot!

Are you confused?

Flailing Double Dutchman
  • yes meant Dutchwoman
    slip of the wo
    "at" should be that
    always confused
    must stay off the gin until midday

CP

PS what do the Turkish drink ? will start soon.
  • Planning to do a Mother Dutchwoman ride on Sunday in your honour
    Lots of ups and downs
    But we get there in the end

CP
  • Yo Ho

PARK AND RIDE - confirmed.

As a reminder, an elliptical 61 mile route through quiet North Essex and Suffolk lanes with a cycling cafe at either end of the ride. Lovely route via Great Yeldham, Long Melford and Lavenham. Miles and miles of virtually traffic-free lanes

Leave Ashwell in cars at 8.30am, arrive Blue Egg cafe, Great Bardfield at 9.30am
    Depart Blue Egg at 9.45am
    Arrive Maglia Rosso cafe around 11.45am.
    Lunch. Menu helpfully provided on another thread. No need to pre-order for our group.
    Depart Magia Rosso at 12.30pm
    Arrive at Blue Egg at 2.30pm, coffee and a bite to eat.
    Drive back from Blue Egg at 3pm, arrive back at Ashwell around 4pm.
    Watch rugby, drink beer, fall asleep.

FD
  • Cars being booked in pairs
    Let us know if you are coming
    We know the definates so far

CP
  • Yo Ho

Weather looking dry for Saturday...but a bit cold and windy!

16mph N wind...but means we get a strong tailwind to blow us back from the Maglia Rosso to the Blue Egg! Happy days!

Flying along Dutchman
  • edited March 2015
    Hi John,

Very tempted by this ride but last rode any distance on the 16th November, what's the anticipated pace?

Pete 2slow2go?
  • Hi Pete

Hope you're on the road to fitness!

I rode the 61 mile route a few weeks back in just over 4 hours, so around 15mph or a tad higher in a group - same pace as the Sunday 9.30am rides. You'll be just fine.

No real hills to worry about - around 2800 feet of climbing

It would be good to see you again

John
  • Yo Ho

Pessimistic BBC weather forecast turning gloomier - now predicting 7C high, 18mph northerly winds and showers....

......Buy some small thermos flasks and put them in your bottle cages...can be topped up at both cafes on the route!!

Ride format is nice and steady group riding, each taking a turn on the front for 10-15mins, see how we go. No-one left behind.

Cap'n has kindly offered to go on the front into the headwind for 30 miles from Blue Egg to Maglia Rosso, but think we should all have a go.

I'm sure we'll all bring spare inner tubes, tool kits etc, as per the normal club runs, but the Maglia Rosso is also a bike shop and will have all the essentials.

Set off at 8.30am sharp from Ashwell. Meet outside 3 Tuns, last minute food supplies available in village.

FD
  • Ahoy

Could think about moving to Sunday
    Saturday was for the trains originally
    Only a thought
    will be going either way

CP
  • Yo ho

Sunday forecast is better - still 7C, but light winds and dry.

Will monitor situation, but how are people fixed if we moved to Sunday?

Moving Feast Dutchman
  • Either ok with me
    But also happy to move if means get better weather
    Particularly dry the main thing.

CP
  • Yo ho

Improving weather forecast for Saturday - now expected dry but strong N winds. Sunday better.

Keep watching. Will make final decision tomorrow so people can make plans.

FD