Welcome to the forum

edited April 2018 in General

Comments

• Is the swimming team there ;)
  • edited April 2018
  • edited April 2018
  • If anyone's interested, this piece describes the classification of carbohydrates that's more widely accepted amongst the scientific community. These are the standard definitions of complex versus simple carbohydrates (- not to be confused with the distinction between foodstuffs that are high versus low glycaemic index ... or types of food that are highly refined versus raw)
  • edited April 2018
  • Yes all very interesting,
    But are the Scandinavians there ?

Please give details :-)
    CP
  • edited April 2018
  • Andy,

I enjoy reading your diary but what are you eating on these rides? Surely it makes sense to use energy bars and gels to maintain energy levels? Especially important when you are doing consecutive days in the saddle.

I'm vary sparing when using these proprietary products and can be very cynical of the marketing. However, they really helped me get through the Festive 500s and achieve the 500miles.

Jeremy.
  • edited April 2018
  • edited April 2018
  • So lots of riding and training, but no wins then
    dedication, but wrong turns at the end

Try some skulduggery, make a Pirate proud
    Come on Sargent !

CP
  • edited April 2018
  • Can you elaborate on the stretching regime(s) a little?

I'm seeing Bob Grainger, ex Team Sky at present for my ailments. Trigger point massages in my buttocks and calfs are killing me!

Before or just afterward a ride?
    Rollers - specific areas?
  • edited April 2018
  • edited April 2018
  • Wish I was there! We had a good ride today tho. No more ice!
  • Like Robbie...wish I was there Andy. Howling gale doesn't describe it here and I know the type of coast wind you are talking of. Snow here again today. Rode out yesterday and came back as a snowman...:-)

Been thinking about your stretching and roller regime they are doing there and thinking of Tim and his specific needs.
    I have been struggling with these problems for some time and I think there needs to be a different approach as one gets significantly older. From experience I need a really tough massage and can take more of a battering. It seems that years of riding without understanding the need for such remedial aaction has left me and many other older cyclists with chronic shortened hamstrings and the rest. However, what we do have is astounding resilience and it seems that the muscles and ligaments can take and also need harder pummeling than would a younger set of muscles.

given the profile of older athletes staying fit it seems that there is a lot of work needed to address our specific needs. We need longer,slower and harder sessions at regular intervals to sort and maintain better shape.

Sounds like you are really getting some serious training in Andy.
  • edited February 2015
    If anyone is interested, I have a set of rolling and strengthening exercise given for me to do each day, given to me by Bob G - see link above.
    email me.

I have been left with a torn calf muscle and will be likely be off the bike all year, (?) as this is but the tip of the proverbial iceberg - the calf gave out - though given my underlying issues, it could have been almost anything from the ankle to the lower back.

I knew none of any of this until the calf tore in late November 2014.

It is possible I will be off the bike for good.

Prevention being preferable to cure.
  • edited April 2018
  • edited February 2015
    Pics would be good
    If you are back by Friday we have a carb loading session planned
    Stories of endeavour will help us old boys get stuck in

8pm 3 tuns
    Paleo approved

James
  • edited February 2015
    Easy way to getting images on the forum.

1. Get the image on the internet somehow... facebook, flickr, an image upload site like imgur [then get the 'Direct link' code]

2. When adding a forum comment, click the 'img' button, sixth along the line of buttons.

3. Paste your image's web address into the first box.

4. Click 'cancel' on the next box requesting comments.

5. That's it. Make sure the 'Format comments as' is ticked to HTML. It should default to that though.
  • edited April 2018
  • Sounds great, Andy. Cheers for the summary
  • Interesting stuff
    Sounds like you got a lot from it
    Glad both red and white wine works
    See you soon

CP