Welcome to the forum

Pirates of the Cafe Bean - Cotswolds

FDFD
edited February 2015 in General
Yo Ho!

Not strictly a TRAINing ride, but thinking of other rides further afield with different scenary and a few climbs:

So......

.........Pirates of the Cafe Bean - On Stranger Rides 2 - Westward Ho!

Riding in the Cotswolds on Sunday 31st May. 15 hours of daylight.

Early morning drive out to Stow on the Wold (highest point of the Cotswolds), takes 1 3/4 hours from Ashwell.

For rides, thinking of a figure of 8 circuit based on Stow, 35-mile ride in morning, followed by lunch break in idylic Stow, then another 35-40 miles in afternoon. Plenty of lovely views and steep climbs - both to get the heart racing!

Morning route Bledington, Kingham, Adlestrop, Evenlode valley, Moreton in Marsh, Chipping Campden, Naunton, Slaughters, Stow.

Afternoon route Icomb, Rissington, Barrington, Windrush Valley, Burford, Sherborne, Northleach, Bourton on the Water, Slaughters, Stow.

All welcome, but will need to provide own transport or car share.

FD

Comments

• Yo Ho

Date adjusted following discussion tonight - now Sunday 31st May leaving Ashwell at 8am.

FD
  • Yo Ho

Don't forget to post here if you're interested in this ride.

Sunshine and lovely scenery guaranteed!

Flailing Weatherman
  • Sounds good! I'm interested, but v dependent on how quickly I mend
  • FDFD
    edited April 2015
    Just bringing this topic back to the top.... Just a few weeks to go!

After Essex/Cambridge and Blue Egg-Maglia Rosso-Blue Egg, it's time to head west to the Cotswolds for Round 3

Sunshine, new scenary, hills and wise cracks guaranteed.

FD
  • Can I book a Double Dutch lift please
    Two in a car works well, two bikes in the back for anyone considering.
    Can you post times and distance.

Great fun last time
    Adventure, fun and beans on toast with an egg

James
  • Double Dutch lift booked!

For times and distances:

Riding in the Cotswolds on Sunday 31st May. 15 hours of daylight.

Early morning drive out to Stow on the Wold (highest point of the Cotswolds), takes 1 3/4 hours from Ashwell.

For rides, thinking of a figure of 8 circuit based on Stow, 35-mile ride in morning, followed by lunch break in idylic Stow, then another 35-40 miles in afternoon. Plenty of lovely views and steep climbs - both to get the heart racing!

Morning route Bledington, Kingham, Adlestrop, Evenlode valley, Moreton in Marsh, Chipping Campden, Naunton, Slaughters, Stow.

Afternoon route Icomb, Rissington, Barrington, Windrush Valley, Burford, Sherborne, Northleach, Bourton on the Water, Slaughters, Stow.

All welcome, but will need to provide own transport or car share.

John
  • Bringing to the top
    Post if you are interested
    Two to a car works well

James
  • What's happening on this FD ?
    I am not sure due to back, may do a normal ride slowly
    But have been asked if this is on
    Cheers
  • Yo Ho Cap'n

A lack of enthusiasm for the Cotswolds, rickety backs, rugby hangovers and the like mean I'm cancelling this Sunday's adventure. May resurrect in future, if there's demand for more of these away days.

Cottered not Cotswolds Dutchman
  • That's a shame
    I will be up for it as soon as back ok
    Will post a normal Sunday ride
    But light rain at the moment

CP
  • Yo Ho

First posted on 17th February and only you and I showed any enthusiasm for this one...can only assume that other pirates are content with the local roads and rides.....

Will do a long ride on Saturday myself....need some decent miles and keen to try new routes.

FD
  • Sorry it's cancelled. It has been in my diary for weeks. I hope we can rearrange for another date.
  • Yes, John, it's a shame really......I did bring this back to the top a few times and the response was...er,....shall we say limited?!

I think it needs more than a couple of people for such rides...compare with higher turnouts for the Cambridge and Two Cafes Rides.

I'm definitely going to the Cotswolds for some different scenery and new routes over the next few weeks to train for Paris Nice and will post accordingly.

Not on the club run either this Sunday or next, but hopefully see you soon.

FD
  • Yo Ho

After many delays. finally nailed this today.

Sunshine all the way out west, lovely new lanes to explore, virtually traffic-free.

75 miles @ a leisurely 15mph with 5,500 feet of climbing and some long 6-7% grades to practice on!

'Ave it!

FD
  • Well done !
    Sonic and I did the W
    See you Sunday ?
    CP
  • Yo Ho Cap'n

Hoping to make Sunday, will be good to see the crew again.

Most likely to be a recovery ride - out large Saturday night!

What shall we do with the drunken sailor early Sunday morning?

FD