Welcome to the forum

Stretching and Foam Rollers

edited February 2015 in General
Reading AndyS's Lanzarote Training Camp Diary has got me thinking more about improving my stretching regimen and finding out about how to use foam rollers.

Wondered if we could identify a local expert who could come to a club night and give us a demo? Do we have anybody in the club who can help? Maybe we could all chip in a few quid and pay for somebody to help?

Any others interested in this?

Comments

• edited February 2015
    Email me for the exercises as mentioned in the Lanzarote training Camp post.
    Ditto, the link to Bob's, I know other CCA members use him as their resident physio'

Roller I was recommended was, "Trigger Point Performance Grid Foam Roller ".

"In 2009 he completed his Masters Degree in Advanced Physiotherapy Sports and Performance at Kings College London.

In 2010 and 2011 he was the Lead Physiotherapist for Sky Professional Cycling Team.

He travelled around Europe and as far as Oman and Qatar with the team treating the riders' injuries and also performing comprehensive musculoskeletal profiling and issuing prehabilitation programmes to help prevent injuries. In this role he also worked for British Cycling in Manchester. He treated many Olympic medal athletes during this work.

As well as undertaking the physiotherapy role in the team he was also part of the bike fitting team, involved with ensuring that the riders were in the most optimal position for professional racing."

Aside from that, I have also being seeing a sports physio in Buntingford.
    They have no issues working in parallel on me.
    I have a fair number of stretching, rolling and strengthening exercises I perform each day, morning and evening.

I have a new set of bespoke shoe inserts for my shoes and boots.
  • edited February 2015
    Just a thought:

Firstly, I have a spare roller which you can borrow.
    I am around these next two nights, then I am away for 5 weeks.

If you, or anyone else wants to pop over here to Sandon, I can go through each exercise to ensure you're doing them correctly. 30 minutes say?

Just let me know.
    timfisher46@gmail.com

Screen Shot 2015-02-24 at 12.48.37">
  • Rolling every day plus a couple of dynamic stretches (and ibuprofen) has mended my knee.
    Two weeks wondering if I'd have to take a month off like last time... Sorted.

Roll those legs!
  • Neglect the gluteus muscles at your peril!

IT band.
    Calfs.

It turns out it is my feet that were at fault. Creating rotational forces in the calf muscle. Tear.

• Tim. Don't despair. The body heals if not perfectly, then enough to get back up and cycling. You overdid it just like most of us at some time or other. We all get carried away in our passions and overcook some bit or other.
    You just learn new ways to cope and move on.
    I've been preaching massage,osteopaths and stretching for many years. It takes an accident most times for people to see the importance of these regimes. It did with me back in '93 when I had knee surgery for damaged cartilage. That's 22 years ago and I am still working on trying to get it right.
    We are all a work in progress because the goal posts keep moving.
    Given what we try to do and the fact that time is our worst enemy it becomes a game of cheating the clock and still doing what we love doing, whatever that may be.
  • I have been dumping cycling stuff on eBay already.

I sustained a tear in my L quad years ago, it has never healed. I never mtn biked again in earnest.

The calf is an issue that is not going to better any month soon since it's an issue with my feet which has resulted in short muscles throughout my legs and buttocks which of course means that I have truncated ligaments and tendons to all those muscles.

Even doing two or three hours a day the difference that I see, my ability to even touch my toes is minimal but I have been doing a series of exercises to try and lengthen my quad muscles , a stretch I do every morning 15 to 20 minutes and since May I have seen a little difference but not much.

The reality of the situation is that the muscles are so shortened and have been so conditioned to my inept posture that is little or no chance this year of getting back on a bike. I have photographed just about every piece of cycling equipment in order to list on eBay once the sunshine comes out.

I may revisit cycling in a year or two's time. It's not until you get a sports physio go over the muscle groups that you realise just how cycling has affected the muscular structure and were it a simple strain, then yes, a few weeks and I would be back on the bike but the damage is so extensive that I have, in effect ceased cycling.
  • seem pity Tim, but see your predicament. Hope you get back to fitness sooner than that. Good luck.
  • I had to give up competitive running a few years ago because of a chronic foot injury. There are plenty of other activities and sports that you can throw yourself into. Just takes a bit of time to come to terms with stuff that life deals to us.