Welcome to the forum

Sunday 11th October

edited October 2009 in Club runs
11th October Autumn medium/Fast group............we had a good ride 78 miles at 18.5 average.........13 out and a planned break for finish at 50-55 for those who had to be back earlier. We had one puncture and nearly lost Mark C...but we stopped and waited..and waited..and eventually he came in view swearing about rusty staples and removing same with teeth...no accounting for technique!!!!!!!!....Mark Wyer also came out after riding Eastern Region cyclo-cross on Sat. and coming 7th in his category..great result Mark.......Strong winds made us very grateful for the front riding done by Ashley and Alex......stunning to ride with guys who spin and blithely chat away while the rest are chewing the stem....awesome.......our route was a combination.......My Barrington/Barton/Comberton/Madingly, via Long Road uphill (talking of which Ashley calmly cycled steadily up Barrington in 53/11 seated!!!!!!!!!*********) Dry Drayton/Oakington/Long Stanton/Willingham/Over/Swavesey/Boxworth/Knapwell/Bourn/(BREAK POINT TO ARRINGTON and Wendy/Ashwell) we were down to 5 here, Ashley,Alex,Andre,Phil and myself, on to Long Stowe/Gamlingay/Potton/Everton/Tempsford/Blunham/Mogerhanger/Northill/Old Warden/Southill/Broom/(Andre turned for home here)...Langford, (Alex carried on to Hitchin) and as the three musketeers approached The Langford Water Tower climb D'Artangnen turned to Porthos and Aramis with a grin and we generouslly gave permission to sprint up the wind assisted climb at a 25-30 av. whilst we breathed again and finished the ride through Hinxworth to Ashwell at a steady 19 av.

thanks to all on board for a testing yet fun ride.

Comments

• Hi,

Thanks for a good ride Sunday. I felt strong one minute and weak the next. I Probably needed to eat more. After the split I never caught the Arrington group so had a pleasant steady ride back down past Wimpole and through Orwell.

I know where I'm going wrong now, I must fit a 53 and use it on Barrington Hill!

Mark.
  • a quick apology for deserting the 'Arrington Group' when the puncture occurred but I would have been facing a firing squad had I missed my curfew!!

it was a tasty old pace on the road to Arrington though with that wind behind! paid for it later though :(
  • skelders
    cheers for the big effort on the the front to tow us back on the main drag, we made good time back to ashwell after the puncture was done.finished on 75miles at about 18.5 not bad for an old en.i was still hanging of the back as per norm.
    see you all next week.
    strappy
  • Hi Mark...so it was you again.........I can see an award looming for you......no such thing as puncture proof,hahaha......better get those thicker winter tyres fitted...Strappy...good ride..so 10 over and 10 back home made the medium ride 55 miles as promised...you are certainly putting in the miles..I think all us oldun's are just hanging in there