Welcome to the forum

Fuji Classic Track Bike

edited March 2015 in Grass Track
I'm looking at a second hand bike as above. Does anyone know if this will take a grass track tyre or is it only suitable for Hard tracks?

Thanks
Scott.

Comments

• Sorry Scott: no chance for grass track with it.
  • Well, it could depend on the model and the year. We have 2 fujis in the container. 1 has some grass track tubulars on and the other has 30mm cx clinchers. they are both tight but just about work, but i know other models dont work.
  • Tim,

I've whispered you.

Cheers
    Scott.
  • These are in 23/25/28mm width so will save your bacon: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kenda-karvis-iron-cap-folding-road-tyre/ Some of the youth riders in another club used them last year so they could ride their standard hard track bikes at a few grass track meetings too.

You'll need to use a higher pressure than normal for grass in the narrower versions, and the ride will be pretty uncomfortable compared to a big squashy CX tyre, but you'd definitely be able to use the Fuji on grass with them.

Mark F
  • edited March 2015
    One of those Tim is the one I donated...the red one. I used a half round file to reduce the excess head set tube end which doesn't compromise the structural integrity to create the necessary clearance. Easy to do so go ahead Scott.
  • Thanks for the help and advice.

Mark, do those tyres come in a 650c as this is a 43cm frame with 650c tyres for my U10. If not do you know where I can get 650c grass track type tyres otherwise it's a non starter.

Cheers
    Scott.
  • Ah ok... There are no 650c tyres suitable for grass track. When James had a 650c Dolan I had a pair of 26" wheels made for it. With 26" cross tyres the overall wheel & tyre diameter is a little more than a 650c road tyre. However watch the crank length, saddle size and bar size on a 650c Fuji - all the examples I've ever seen have lazily been supplied with full size adult components which is hopeless. Ask Jamie about his views though - I think he had one for his son.

Mark F