Welcome to the forum

Crest RR and Ike Saul Memorial RR

edited March 2015 in Road Racing
due to popular demand...

A quick debrief on the first two road races of the season.

The crest was a pretty horrid windy day, raced on the Thaxted circuit which is not the normal circuit, there being roadworks on the regular one. A flat and sometimes pretty exposed circuit was made difficult by the wind for this race. Half way through the race, what looked like the winning break headed off up the road. Some strong riders in a group of 12 or so. Tom bridged across and worked hard in the break for an hour or so but it didn't stop the boys from Strada dragging the bunch back up to them. Another break of four riders shot off with two laps to go and held a gap till the end. Tom tried to bridge over but didn't quite make it, still managed to float off the front and come in 8th after riding for a lap and a half on his own (stunning effort in such horrid windy conditions). Neil punctured after 50 miles or so but was looking really strong. I just bummed around with the bunch and whinged a bit, crossing the line with a slow puncture on my front wheel and my back wheel hanging out the back after my quick release was quickly released by a wheel clash in the sprint. Glad to have survived. Great start to the season by Mr. Trimble. I think he went home and steamed some broccoli to celebrate.

The Ike Saul RR started off in proper springtime. Nice sunny morning, bit gusty and quite chilly but nonetheless, the lower half of my legs were exposed and cycling cap was removed. The race was neutralised around the slippery bendy lanes for the first lap, the flag dropping over the finish line. A wise idea after last year's crash strewn first lap. As racing got under way Tom ride aggressively and eventually got away in a break taking Cam (who now rides for Spirit, a proper team) with him. With 9 riders eventually up the road the break worked well together and with two laps to go had a minute and a half on the bunch. This is when we started to go quite slowly (which was fine by me). Nothing really happened till the last lap where two riders broke free from the break and pushed hard to the line, the winner having spent most of his time in the break rather cleverly pretending to have a mechanical (very pro) before heading up the road. He had a good weekend, having won at hog hill on the Saturday too. With the break blown apart they came in one by one with Tom and Cam taking 8th and 9th respectively. A good ride by both of them. As the bunch came down the drag on the main road by Orwell I saw my chance to get away (love a good straight downhill with a tail wind and gravity on my side) and pushed on, catching an Arbis rider who'd been hanging off the front for a bit and passing him.. I went for it for the last couple of miles and managed to hold off the chasing gallop by a few seconds and grabbed 10th place. Jon C had to retire after a couple of laps due to a pain in his side but was holding a good position till then. It was GREAT to see so many blue jerseys out to watch the race, it really makes a difference when you get a shout on! Fortunately I had a mate who's wheel I could sit on into the headwind on the way home, otherwise it would have been a long, slow journey back to Letchworth (possibly involving at least half of the CCA brandy in the clubman's decanter in the tuns). For a special treat I think Tom had some carrots with his steamed broccoli.

Comments