Welcome to the forum

Chaingang 2015

edited March 2015 in Chain gangs
Is it that time of year yet :)

I know Chaingang normally starts after Easter and on Tuesday's (so from the 7th April), 6.30pm start.

Is there any interest in running some additional options for this year: (so not wanting to change the current set-up, just additions)

Doing a later start on Tuesday's at 7.30-8pm? Option for those that can't get there for 6.30pm, plus those who do hit the 6.30 can go on for a bit longer if they want to.
Doing a second chaingang on Thursdays?
Doing a few 'pre-season' chaingangs starting this week or next? 5pm start to run for a little over an hour, it doesn't get too dark until 6.30pm now. Any day.

Comments

• until last year the Tuesday chaingang was a 7:30pm start from Ashwell which always worked well, 10 mins later in Steeple.
    initially with lights 2 laps was easily possible at 7:30 start, by May 3 laps no problem.

lots of people did earlier laps too, 7pm at Ashwell was popular, but then all the groups would meet Steeple at 7:40

might make sense to return to that timing to get more people involved who cant start earlier.
    those who want to can always do pre-laps of course as long as there is a plan to meet up.

i dont mind either way, just noticed last year with the earlier start there seemed to be less people out.

what ever is decided make sure its the same time for all groups, fast and medium, so people can interchange on the night.
  • I spoke to Pete Tiffin last week and both of us intend to continue with the 7pm medio chain gang. Last year we had 10+ out most weeks and average speeds of 21-22mph. Emphasis on the group working together to keep a good speed. Always faster on the second lap with a race for the line at the end.

Pete generally posted on the forum to generate interest. I won't be starting until 14th April.
  • Good thinking Stef. London commuters stand a better chance meeting in Ashwell at 7.30pm. Cool.
  • I would like to get back to chain gang again this year. Getting more riders makes for a better chain gang allowing less fit riders to hang on and build up their strength. I get rather bored of our circuit and will probably post the odd evening group controlled but hopefully pacy through and off ride up to Potton, sandy, gamblingay way. This will be regrouping at the top of hills within reason and can be a bit later to allow more to join in. I don't want to spoil a Tuesday turn out so perhaps we only do this every three weeks starting at the agreed time. I did a few of these with Mark C last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Proper summer riding rather than rattling around the wendy route. Will research a few route options.
    If you'd rather I don't publicise this on the TUESDAY chaingang blog I will refrain.
  • Thanks for the info Stef, didn't know it used to be 7.30pm.
    I think we need some kind of vote on the time to start, as we've already got myself and Robbie wanting 7.30pm and Jeremy wanting 7pm.
    Or we just run different times for different groups, which in hindsight makes sense as we don't necessarily want them setting off en masse at the same time.
    Vincent, like the idea but as you say you don't want to spoil the Tuesday turn out, so why not make it a Thursday? Spreads the options available to riders over the week, rather than putting all eggs into Tuesday.
  • Would be interested in a 7:30 start
  • I'm flexible with start time and happy to do 7.30pm if that suits.

For me it is about getting a good quality workout and testing myself. I like Vince's idea of breaking away from the Wendy circuit.
  • Defnitely going to be on these this year. Definitely going to be fit enough. 7.30 works for me! If it means we can have more people, for sureee the right choice
  • I've received a couple whispers and text from peeps asking if I would lead another 'intro' or 'beginner' chain gang (or 'change gang' if you're Danish!) this year.

I'll post this to a separate thread, just dropping it in here to let you guys know I'll be testing the waters for interest in a beginner CG.
  • edited March 2015
    As Jeremy pointed out we had a regular medio chain gang going last year. We aimed to do around 22 mph and pretty well stuck to that. A core of that group started out with Andy in 2013 and we all appreciated his guidance.

One reason for lower numbers last year is that I don't think that a regular fast group got going.

With Andy offering his intro group (17 - 20 mph Andy?) there might be interest enough to get 3 groups going. As Andy says (on his other thread) people can advance through the groups.

I am aiming to get the medio group going again at around 22 mph with the possibility to push on to around 23 mph. Presently I'm planning on 7 pm at the Tuns as we did last year (I know that is not convenient for everyone, but it worked for us last year and I've got stuff to do afterwards).

Like Jeremy my first available day after Easter is 14th April.

Chris, I am around the next 2 weeks and can fit in an early start if anyone else is up for it.
  • I'm keen to do the chain gang again this year, and should be able to make 7pm (A14 permitting!). Ideally prefer no more than 21-22 mph.
  • Hi all

Definetely interested in the intro group again, dependent on start time.

I was part of the 'core' group referred to above, that Andy kindly started off in 2013 and thoroughly enjoyed the discipline and skills training. Great bunch of people to ride and learn with, too, and we were all about the same in terms of ability.

There was something extremely satisfying at riding smoothly around the lanes in good order at 21-22mph, just a few weeks after starting at 18mph and some well-led training.

Unfortunately, I didn't progress to the medio group last year, due to the earlier start of 7pm and not being able to get home in time from London, but fully accepted that we all lead busy and different lives.

7.30pm would make it far easier for the London commuters to join in, as Robbie mentioned above, although personally I wouldn't want to initiate at 22mph...more back to basics for me!

Not Flying Dutchman
  • edited March 2015
    We targetted 21 or better in ours, but only after a couple laps. We started out by just doing a quick through and off until a double paceline almost naturally developed. It was fun to see a chaingang almost magically emerge from a group of people who had never done it before.

I think the 7pm start worked for the beginners last year??? It gets awfully late otherwise, by the time you've eaten etc...

I've added a separate thread for people to express their interest in a beginner group ...
  • If you do start at 7pm then its still possible for people to join later as long as they know where the chain gang is (roughly)
    so just be clear nearer the time, presumably 7 ashwell, 7:10 ish Steeple, then 7:45 ish second lap, 8:10 etc
    and just be aware as you finish each lap there might be new riders waiting to join

the benefit of all groups starting at the same time is people can choose as they go off what speed they go at - actually its not usually your choice but your bodies!
    what used to happen is everyone left Ashwell at 7:30, Steeple at 7:40 and that first hill out of Steeple up to the war memorial was the natural selection...
    some aiming to ride with the fast group would fall straight out the back and end up in the medium ride etc.

Also as the ride progresses round the circuit those who do struggle in the fast group know the medium is not far behind, and in 2013 Andy S's group was not far behind that (although on a slightly different route)

for what its worth i think the reason there wasnt a regular fast group last year was because the start time moved forward and people getting in late from work just didnt bother. my point was it worked really well for years at 7:30, shame to change it but as long as everyone knows when and where to join guess its ok.
  • Yep, its up to all those interested to sort out start times. I think Stef is right that the earlier start last year is what did for the fast ride and also think its best to all start more or less together.

For my part i would love to do the chain gangs and would be more than happy to take a beginner group from time to time but as Mrs D doesn't get home until 8/8.30 i sadly won't be out much :(

Might catch you for a last lapper sometimes.
  • Pearce cannot do Thursday's as I will be helping out on the grass track in ashwell. I will park the idea and keep it as a thing I do from time to time. If the chain gang gets dull or problematic we can raise a more open road ride option again.
    Whilst the 7pm is attractive for those that can the 7.30 pm clearly works for the majority of London commuters. Can we compromise by synchronising the earlier starters to regroup for a 7.40 pm start at steeple morden as happened before? There is a good chance this will be an excellent chain gang year. This means the 7.30 pm depart from ashwell needs to be adhered to strictly. If you miss it then head out and do the course in revere. Let's get three groups and everyone involved.
  • London commuters blue train sticking to the old time 7.30 Ashwell... as Stef suggests.
    Can't wait.
  • Vincent....the chain gang isn't a place where you sit up and enjoy the countryside. It's supposed to be totally focused on precision riding at a pace in synchrony with the others. If you are bored it's because you aren't paying close attention to wheels,pace,changing smoothly handlebar close. The point of a standard course is the familiarity so that you can concentrate on your riding. Get your pleasure in the club rides, outings, events and other such riding. :-)
  • Count me in. Will hope to see some drastic improvement from me this year. Any time suits. Looking forward to it....sooner the better and would appreciate any words of advice.
  • The Fields are hoping to be there
  • edited March 2015
    I 'think' the beginner group 'may' settle on a 7:15 time, but we'll see. Route-wise, I think we'll use the full-fat course this year as going through Abbington Piglets tended to break up the line a bit. This would give the other group riders further options.

• Hi Folks,

With chain gangs about to start i just wanted to bring up a couple of safety things;

Firstly, there are a couple of chain gang eating potholes on the Shingay road. looks like they are going to be filled soon but weren't last time i was up there. Keep a lookout and call the holes.

Secondly, the chain gang is still a club run and our club run guidelines still apply (apart from the bits about etiquette and half wheeling obviously).Remember to single out when needed and to give way when required. The bit coming into Bassingbourn by the traffic calming does require us to give way to oncoming traffic so be ready to stop.
    Also have a really good look at the T junction after South Farm, cars can be going very quick on the top road.

Regarding the sprint at the end, if it happens, can we not do it up Steeple High Street, there have been some awful bunch gallops up there in the past all across the road and we have had complaints. I would suggest the Steeple sign at the start of the village is a more appropriate place but please keep on the left of the road.

Other than that, keep it tidy, keep it disciplined and keep it safe. Have fun and remember lights to begin with.

Heres a reminder of the guidelines.
  • Let's get a good turn out this Tuesday. peterT as you have been most consistent at organising the Medi o group please confirm start time? If before 7.30 can you time your second lap to regroup as before at steeple by the garage for those leaving Ashwell pub at 7.30 sharp to join at 7.40 in steeple.
    All talk done lets get some decent through and off riding. Hope to make it for 14th.
    If a faster group needs to be formed lets do that also rather than destroy the medio. So the more that come out and ride the easier it will be to get three groups going.
  • Good thinking Vince. I'll hopefully be there at three tons 7.30 etc
  • Vince

Sent you a whisper

Cheers
    Peter
  • Tues 14th April, 7.30 pm from 3 tuns
    Forecast 16C , dusk 19.55 , little wind
    Hopefully be there

Cheers
    James
  • Excellent. Let's get lots of takers this year for three disciplined groups. Thanks for the reminder about dusk. Lights to be in working order for the first few outings for sure.
  • I'm usually out for about 6:30 ish, if anyone fancies getting an extra lap (or 2) in...? Will ride clockwise until I encounter the group going the other way....
  • I'll be there for a medio group around 21 - 22 mph.

Given it will be dark when we finish I'm going to drive up and get there for 7 pm, have a little warm up to the station and back and be at the Tuns ready for a 7-30 pm depart for Chain Gang.

looks like there should be a good faster group out too.
  • Hi Peter

Be there at 7pm 3 tuns for the warm up
    Medio group sounds right
    Just need to sort some lights

James