Welcome to the forum

edited April 2018 in Chain gangs

Comments

• Yes, I would be interested in joining for some sessions.
  • Yes I'd like to too.
    Would one on the first week be possible?
    Ironically given my other discussion topic, I've never actually been on a chaingang yet :)
  • Yep, I can do first week. I guess the idea would be for people to gain confidence and fitness in order to safely move up the into the medium or faster groups over the course of the year ... right?
  • Thanks Andy - if you are happy to start it off then people should progress pretty quickly up to the medium group, dont think you need to commit to more than a week or two to get people going
  • edited March 2015
    Hi Andy
    I will come along
    let us know date, time etc
    "pain is weakness leaving the body "

CP

PS not done it before
  • FDFD
    edited March 2015
    Hi Andy

As I mentioned on the other thread, would love to join in again, starting from scratch as we did in 2013.

If you go at 7pm rather than 7.30pm, I'd have to see if I could make the 2nd circuit.

Don't know, but do the Ashwell commuters get the 6.23pm from Kings X, arriving Ashwell at 7.04pm - hence asking for 7.30pm start?

See you soon

John
  • Well, I get the 5:23 arriving Ashwell at 6:04 or so ... ;-)

Sounds good Stef! I can do a few weeks, then join the Med group myself!
  • Looks like I may have to knock of work early then if I want to join the fun!

Now, what excuse could I possibly give the boss every Tuesday......

Skiving Dutchman
  • Hi
    I would be up for this.
    Adam
  • There's a 553?

What about 7:15? That gives us a little head start on the 7:00 group, or a warm up for jumping into the 7:30 ... I guess. That work FD?
  • Hi Andy

That's very kind of you to start at 7.15pm - that time worked well in 2013 for the intro group as well, and was a suitable compromise between those who favoured 7pm and others at 7.30pm.

Will keep looking here for when we expect to begin - am away in Florida 9-20th April, so could make Tues 21st....if a little jet-lagged and won't have ridden for a couple of weeks!

Florida Dutchman
  • I too would be very interested.
  • Cool, look for a thread in the coming weeks ...

I think we have a general outline of:

-7:15 start (ish)
    -Probably two laps of the full CG circuit, not the old shorter circuit with the hill
    -Target steady speed of 20-21, that seemed to work. Once you have the knack and want to go faster, the medium group goes 22.
    -First couple sessions will be fairly structured, with first lap with simply riding a wheel at speed with very quick short changes
    -By the third or fourth it will be a full on CG from the off with feedback from myself or any other experienced racer/rider or club coach who decided to turn up

good???

A
  • i'd be keen but Tuesday's are not great- is that still the preferred day?
  • Sounds great
    Will probably do a gentle warm up before hand if anyone interested as well
    Say 6.45 ??

James
  • Ah Jess, you've opened a can of worms! I would prefer a different day of the week as well, but we'll get in trouble if we tried to do it on a different day as that would mess up the idea of people moving up the groups or changing groups on the night if one is too slow/fast ...

Which doesn't mean we couldn't hold one-off specials on a Thursday or Sunday???

A
  • I would be up for some specials....
  • Yep, I'd be up for this. Specials probably best for me.
  • Special Thursday fine by me
    Tuesday ok
    Sunday on the high seas
    Make it so,
    please

CP for real
  • I'm thinking that a REAL beginner session, open to people who have NEVER done a chaingang before could maybe happen on a Thursday early on? Then people could join in on the Tuesday gangs? When would you like the first one?

I'm going to be super busy until June but will try do a couple of these before then.
  • edited April 2015
    Sounds a good idea
    I qualify as a REAL newbie to chain gang
    ( but not precious about it, just need a technique run through )

Any Thursday from next week ok with me
    Happy to fit in with everyone else

Look forward to it !

Cheers
  • I have only tried chain gang once with Pete, into the wind towards the end of a Saturday club ride. So I count as a newbie.
    In general I'm available mat Thursday evenings, so let us know a date and will aim to be there.

Adam
  • Thursday works..let me know when this will kick off
  • I'm thinking we should do a beginner session on Thursday, 23 April if anyone's up for it? This gives an introduction to the basics:

7:15, Three Tuns, Ashwell, anyone's welcome.

A
  • Here's a few more bits of homework:

Here's a nice view from the top. Note that no one accelerates, everyone is smooth and even, not sudden moves etc:

Here's a good slowmo from a helicopter, the wind is coming from the right in this vid:

Here's a fast expert level paceline helmet cam, this is what we're aiming for.
  • Sounds great, I will be there

James
  • Good for me
  • Sounds really good, I will be there!
  • Hi Folks,

With chain gangs about to start i just wanted to bring up a couple of safety things;

Firstly, there are a couple of chain gang eating potholes on the Shingay road. looks like they are going to be filled soon but weren't last time i was up there. Keep a lookout and call the holes.

Secondly, the chain gang is still a club run and our club run guidelines still apply (apart from the bits about etiquette and half wheeling obviously).Remember to single out when needed and to give way when required. The bit coming into Bassingbourn by the traffic calming does require us to give way to oncoming traffic so be ready to stop.
    Also have a really good look at the T junction after South Farm, cars can be going very quick on the top road.

Regarding the sprint at the end, if it happens, can we not do it up Steeple High Street, there have been some awful bunch gallops up there in the past all across the road and we have had complaints. I would suggest the Steeple sign at the start of the village is a more appropriate place but please keep on the left of the road.

Other than that, keep it tidy, keep it disciplined and keep it safe. Have fun and remember lights to begin with.

Heres a reminder of the guidelines.
  • Can I get a roll call of interesting on running a basic 'intro' chaingang this Thursday???? Happy to do it!

A