Welcome to the forum

CCA Hardriders TT this Sunday 29th March 2015, sign-on 9am

edited March 2015 in Time Trial
The Hardriders TT is this coming sunday, the weather is looking like being very windy but hopefully dry

2 laps of the 10 circuit. Usual start and finish points. First rider off at 9.30.
To prevent annoying the Tuns and frightening the locals with pointy hats and rumbling discs, we will do the signing on at the concrete pad close to the finish line. Signing on will be from 9.00. This will be on a first come, first served basis and will be open to non CCA riders. CCA riders £3, guests £4.
All riders welcome, you just need a bike and the ability to ride for 20 miles.

Hardshell helmets and rear lights highly recommended

It should all be over by 11:15, anyone wanting to could meet in the Tuns for post-race chat & beverage.

Please note we have some 2-ups riding and they will set off at the head of the field.

Thanks to all those offers of help, I think we are well catered for and we should have a marshal at the Wrestlingworth crossroads.

Some dos and donts…..

don't all congregate at the start and spill into the road. Go and warm up or if you are at the start keep well off the road.
At the finish keep off the road and don't bother the time keeper
Do keep your head up at all times.
Dont exceed the speed limit in Guilden
do be courteous to other road users and stop and give way if you have to.
Do look out for potholes, the course isn't too bad and I think there may have been some repairs in Guilden recently but I haven't been through to check.
Do be careful on the corner in Ashwell before the start. It is sharp and tends to be gravely.

Comments

• I'm sure people don't need reminding but I'll say it anyway:

British Summer Time starts this weekend so 9am will feel more like 8am - Robbie et al will be in their element!

Peter T please confirm you got the message about revised start for 2-ups.
  • Looking back the course record is Nigel's 50:07 last year.
    I'm targeting a sub 50, but the weather doesn't look much good now.
  • Hi James,
    Message received! Clocks going forward is going to be tough on a teenager!

See you Sunday
  • Going to be tough on me too!

Weather is looking proper hardriders! I did have a ride around most of the course today and its not too bad but there are a few holes at the bottom end of Northfields, nothing too bad though.

As James has said above if its a strong tail wind through Guilden, please watch your speed, we have promised that none of our riders will be doing more than 30.
  • Matt's not coming now, he's full of cold.
    I'm still coming!
  • The rain forecast has done enough to change my mind, its a shame the rain is due to hit bang on the start time.
    I'm going to do an early doors training ride including an unofficial go on the course.

James & Daniel, I'll be there at 9 to pick up my skinsuit and hand over pedals.
  • After dusting off Elsie this afternoon, I thought I would just check the weather!...

Going proper 'Hard' with winter bike and a 9 mile warm up from Royston. Might even keep my saddle bag on for the timed laps!

I think tomorrow is looking more about taking part than taking a time!
  • Quite right Matt, no ice or fog this year, but proper hard nonetheless!

And yes its more about taking part than breaking records. The timekeepers and marshals will be there whatever the weather so think Belgian and ride!
  • My time was 52:30: Raindodging!

Weather forecast was spot on, I only had a bit of light rain from 8.30. It was getting very grim when I left at 9.15.
    Fairplay everyone who was racing in that.
    Very windy too, far more than last year and the drag from Eyeworth to Ashwell was painful.
  • edited March 2015
    Hardriders one and all! Thanks everyone for a great turnout on a filthy day. The second lap was horrendously windy. Thanks to James for organising and Finn, Richard and son of James for helping out. Great stuff. Good win by Simon and a right scrap for the next 5 positions. Good to see Skelders back on form and great ride from Holly and Sophie in their first ever TT!

Oh and i have a St Neots jersey left in the back of my car.

Results

S Richardson 53.51, 25.50 SNCC/CCA
    J McKenzie 54.28, 26.14
    A Skeen 54.33, 26.14
    A Taverna 54.36, 26.50 SNCC
    B Davies 55.41, 26.42
    T Skelding 55.54, 27.10
    R Laughton 59.06, 28.33
    M Mossop 1.00.07, 29.01 SNCC
    J Davies 1.00.17, 28.49
    G Smith 1.00.37, 29.14 Peterborough CC
    I Foulkes 1.01.18, 29.27
    G Duguid 1.02.54, 30.08
    J Thorpe 1.03.40, 30.04
    M Lawless 1.04.10, 30.25
    R Bumstead 1.04.36, 31.11
    D Doncaster 1.04.44, 30.50
    D Wilson 1.06.50, 32.23 SNCC
    P Tiffin 1.06.55, 32.05
    M Scales 1.07.12, 31.50
    A Whale 1.07.43, 36.12 Including mending puncture
    D Wells 1.09.26, 32.22
    C Duguid 1.14.05, 35.51
    S Watts 1.20.15, 36.39
    H and S Proctor 1.23.51, 38.37 2 up

I have got the first lap times and will post them up later when I've worked them out……got to dash!
  • Big Thankyou to all the helpers and organizers, and what a good turnout.
    I am sure the wind got stronger as time went on, well thats what Martin L and I agreed on!!!!! and between us we knocked off 10mins from our times, well thats what Martin L told me to do!!!

Great Event that lived up to its reputation.
  • Thanks again to all the organisers and helpers on the day. A tough but enjoyable morning spin and looking forward to the club 10s.
  • Some well earned 'badass points' for everyone, including the helpers. Thanks all. Gonna forget that time and move on!
    Shame the Tuns was closed, we'll have to order up bacon sarnies and coffee next year.
  • many thanks to everyone for organising, although if you could make a better job with the weather next time it would be appreciated!

I'll try and track down who left the SNCC jersey before you use it as a duster ;-)

cheers

Simon

ps - 4th place name is Adie Taverna (I'm not saying you'd definitely wake up with a horse's head in the bed for getting it wrong but you know how firey these Italians can be)
  • Well done all. We were heading west on 505 at about that time and driving wasn't easy.
  • Thanks Tim and well done to all the HARD RIDERS today, defo earnt that label!
  • A huge thanks to the organisers and time keepers, it was not a pleasant day to be standing on the side of the road! Greatly appreciate it!
  • Good effort everyone!
  • That was an experience! Massive thank you to the timing crew and marshals. So nice to have spectators too. Though with hindsight, I think I should have pushed off home, rather than been pushed off down the road at the beginning.
    Susan
  • Thanks Tim and all
    That was tough, especially the 2nd lap.

Good effort from Holly and Sophie. The summer 10s will seem easy after that!
  • Robert Bumstead can you whisper me your contact details?
  • edited March 2015
    null

null

null

Fantastic turnout eh? I left the house thinking I'd podium on numbers alone. Then turn on to Northfields and it's pointy hats a go-go. Thanks to everyone arranging it all. Delighted with my time in the conditions and happy that my Lemond bike did well on its first ride since being found in a muddy ditch by the police last Christmas. Richard M: another outstanding service. It all felt smooth/powerful.

The wind was awful and stepped up on the second lap. That Eyeworth hill was a destroyer: just ask that Lambourghini from last week. You know the weather's bad when signing-on has to go into Pencil Mode because the pens are all too wet to work. Disappointingly, the rain stopped halfway through lap 1 and the sun came out briefly at Wrestlingworth, dashing my hopes for Flandrian conditions I wanted in prep for the Tour of Flanders 'cyclo' next week. Good 'cobblesh' simulation in Guilden - never lets you down. For sure!

For those trying to work out their av speed, remember the course is 20.5 miles - as you have that bit in between lap 1 and 2.
  • That last picture is entitled something like, 'What We Do For Fun'.
  • edited March 2015
    Definitely brutal out there today. 4-spoke not the best choice as gave me several dodgy moments, at one point struggling to stay on the LHS of a straight section of road.

Very well done to all the hard men & women who were prepared to brave those conditions.

Grateful thanks to Tim, Finn, Richard, and Alastair for enabling the event to go ahead - and I particularly appreciated the cheers in Guilden though remember being somewhat disappointed that they had headed for shelter when I passed by on my second lap.

Susan, don't worry as the Wednesday 10's will now seem a doddle!
  • Ive added first lap times to the result above and adjusted names, hopefully avoiding a horses head encounter :)
  • Thanks to the timekeepers and the marshals for enabling the event to go ahead, and a big thank you to everyone for welcoming the newbie. Special thanks to the chap in the following car who lent me a track pump after my puncture repair.

I'll see you on the road!
  • Thanks to all that make this race happen and the great turnout. CTT will be happy if we keep attracting such numbers through the year.

Great encouragement from Vince and pals standing around in fluo gear in Guilden Morden and Richard marshalling at Scouse Corner.

After the threat of heavy rain decreased as time went on the wind seemed to increase but maybe that was my legs just fading....

My first Hardriders and definitely a good test for mind and body!