Welcome to the forum

Welwyn Track League 2015

edited April 2015 in Road Racing
For anyone interested, details of track league below. If anyone needs a registration form give me a shout and ill send you one. Im hoping to get down to one of the training sessions in April if i can.

.......I am pleased to report that this years Track League is now on schedule and the first meeting will be on Friday 24th April starting at 7:10pm.

The racing programme will follow a similar pattern to previous years – with Senior A and B groups plus three Youth groups

Attached is the Rider Registration form – please fill this in and send it to Peter Waghorn with a cheque or bring it along to the Track League training sessions on Friday 10th and 17th April or bring it the the first Track League meeting. (It would be appreciated if this can arrive before the first meeting to avoid a log jam at the first meeting).

Accreditation - Riders who have raced in the Welwyn Track League in the last two years will have automatic Welwyn accreditation.

We look forward to a successful and busy Track League in 2015

Comments

• And for youth: this is from Alison Lilley addressed to riders who have attended track cluster sessions and who want to race in Welwyn Track League this year:-

"Welwyn Track League - Do you want to race?

If you didn't take part in the 2014 league then you will have to be approved at a Welwyn Wheelers in-house session. However, the cluster have a special agreement whereby the coaches can deem riders to be safe & suitably track proficient to race at the WTL.

Riders wishing to participate should contact me alisonlilley@britishcycling.org.uk in advance so that I can submit a list of rider names that have been approved. PLEASE NOTE - participation in a cluster session does not guarantee your immediate approval for Welwyn track league. Some riders have waited all season before being approved whilst they became more track proficient."
  • What are the distances of races? I take it you need a track bike to race? Cheers!!
  • Usually you do 3 or 4 10 lap races, devil, points, scratch, handicaps etc. These usually last 5 to 6 minutes. Plus there is the 10 mile scratch at the end which is about 20 minutes if you can last to the end!

You can hire track bikes there but you do need experience of riding fixed and you will need to go through an accreditation process if they dont know you. Im not entirely sure what that process is you will need to contact Welwyn for that. Alison/Richard do you know whats required this year?
  • edited April 2015
    We are currently finalising the details of the Track League - however details available so far are:

If you have RACED Welwyn Track League in the last 2 years you will be automatically accredited.
    If you have RACED at another Track venue in the last year you will be given probationary accredited status & able to ride Welwyn Track League

Riders who have Track experience but NOT raced track before can attend the Monday Track Race training sessions.
    These Open sessions, for experienced track riders are being held twice a month. Riders will have to register their intention to be assessed when signing on. (They will be given a bib).
    Assessment will be based on the individual riders competence. (Turning up for assessment on one Monday night does not necessarily mean a rider will then be deemed fit to race TL!)
    The first two Monday Open Race sessions will be on Monday 13th and 27th April & thereafter on the 2nd & 4th Mondays of the month. (All other Mondays throughout the summer will be for the use of Welwyn racing members.

In preparation for the start of the Welwyn Track League, the coaching team are running “Track League Races” on Friday 10th & 17th April from 7pm – 9pm.
    This session is “open” to all riders who have ridden the Welwyn Track League in the last two years or so plus any other riders who have proven Track League racing experience elsewhere; Senior/Junior and Youth.

Should you need any further details/ clarification email: chair@welwynwheelers.org.uk

Hope to see some of you at Welwyn on a Friday Night

Alison
  • Hi Alison,

Just checking the Open Race Session is still on tomorrow night? If so what time is it?

Am I right to assume that (other than those being assessed) this will just be a general training session, largely aimed at getting everyone going again on the track after the winter?

I'm sure this info is on the website somewhere but I have failed to find it for myself, I'm afraid.

Thanks, Bryn
  • Hi Brynd,

The session runs between 7pm and 9pm. The training session will be as you've described it.

I'll be down there, so if you have any questions come and find me.

You're right about the website, a new version is currently being constructed.

Richard
  • Thanks, Richard. See you there.
  • This just out from the coaching team at WW

"Open" Track Racing Training Tonight! 7pm - 9pm

Just a quick reminder,

Tonight is the first "Open" Track Training session of the Year for Experienced Track Riders Senior, Junior & Youth. This twice a month Open Session will be held on the 2nd & 4th Monday in the month.

If you wish to be assessed to ride the Welwyn Friday Track League, please make this clear when you sign on.

The Welwyn Coaching Team
  • Im aiming at attending tonights training all being well. Anyone else going?
  • For those coming along tonight for the final 'Training' session before the league starts next week -

Please Note: that the new sign on procedures are being tested so please remember to bring your license to show at sign on
  • I'll probably pop along with Archie - any idea what the cost is?
    Iain
  • A tenner i think, same as track league.