Welcome to the forum

Central Region Championship support Race

edited June 2008 in Road Racing
This was held at a circuit that went through Cublington & Wing just the other side of Leighton Buzzard. I thought I was the only one to be doing this 3/4 event, but then Richard Law also turned up to sign on.
The chief commisaire explained that the whole route was not marshalled, and therefore we needed to know our way around. We headed out at break neck pace behind the lead car (neutralized) over a round about, 2 sets of lights and 4 miles later we were told that we had failed to take the correct turn 400yds from the HQ. So the whole pack had to turn around and head back to Wing where we eventually got onto the course. Half way around we all had to stop to let the E/1/2 race past as we had lost so much time to them. So 5 minutes later we were all off again around an interesting circuit with a few lumps & bumps. The finish line is at the top of a short sharp hill (like Croydon hill but the road is wider). A few breaks happened, but were all pulled back and Richard and myself sat comfortably in the main pack. Half way round the last lap a rider hit a parked car that had been there the whole time and brought down 3 or 4 other riders. Richard and I were wide enough to avoid the mess and kept with the leading riders. So all down to a bunch sprint up the hill. I let myself drop a little too far back on the preceding fast down hill section and found myself surrounded. I sprinted up the hill well and could see Richard in front, but picking my way through the riders was tricky and I finished still feeling like I could have done more (a bit annoying really) Richard finished in about 4th, I think I was about 13th or there abouts.