Welcome to the forum

ITU World Long Course Triathlon Perth

edited October 2009 in Road Racing
Long way to travel to get your ass kicked by a class field of triathletes the best in their age group from around the world. Another league big time. Always was going to be tough though. My age wave set off nearly an hour after the first, 2 miles up and down the Swan river. A great White shark was seen eating a dead whale a few days before to encourage us to swim faster and stay in a pack. The temp of the water was 22 degrees and it's only the start of spring. Nearly a non wetsuit swim which would have hurt. Positioned myself at the start at the back to avoid being swam over... Being the last wave there were no other groups behind. After swimming for 20 minutes I looked back to see no other swimmers. In my head I didn't want to be last out of the swim wearing the GB kit. The Aussies are fish so I was hoping there might be the odd African swimmer behind. Another 20 minutes and it felt like someone was sucking my toe. Nice but who or what was it? The Italian triathlete or a sea creature? Then I felt the same feeling on my hands every stroke. Jellyfish. Got stung in the face. This made me panic and I started to kick big time and shout aaaah under water to scare them. They might have ears! It worked. I gained 3 place. It was windy so the waves smashed over us and sapped energy. Tough swim. The bike was 50m made up of 4 flatish laps of various out and backs. Felt ok even though it was already 35 degrees and early. It was going to get hotter. Notched 29mph on The first out then we turned around after 4 miles. Big head wind for the rest of the lap. Started overtaking but was being overtaken by the elite at pace. Hard to tell who was who really. Everyone had disc wheels on flash carbon and a pointy had. Finished the bike with an average over 20mph. Was hoping for nearer 24 with it being flat. And then the run. It's always hard running off the bike but in 37degrees on Tarmac it was a killer. No energy. Usually do a half marathon in a race in1hr40+ but not today. Even the best runners were struggling. God knows what my time was but it was awful. Daren't look. Feet were burning, cramp was setting in, dehydrated bug time and any amount of electrolyte drink and ice didn't work for long. Beingvthe last wave off meant there were fewer athletes each lap. Seeing some head in hands being sick spurred me. I knew I was gonna be near the back. That was always the case with this race. The only comfort I had running down the finish with a plastic flag that the GB manager had given me was the fact that on a world stage I WASNT FCKN LAST!

Comments

• well done mate!! awsome!
    I'm sure us mere mortals would have thrown the towel in with the first jelly fish sting!!!! well actually, the great White story would have well and truly kept me out of the water!!

Legend !!
  • Bl**dy right Tim..........well done Robbie...simply awesome and with such a field against you was fantastic just to enter such an arena....