Welcome to the forum

Fleche Welwyn Road Race Report

edited April 2015 in General
Mitchy and I took part in the Fleche Welwyn RR today in very windy conditions on the Cople/Cardington/Old Warden circuit, totaling just shy of 100km.. We both knew it was going to be a tough day with the weather forecasting 40mph gusts which would hit us as a crosswind on the long open stretches of road. There were a number of teams with 4 riders, however, with the reserves included, CC Luton had 8 or 9 riders.

The pace was high from the off and a break of 4 or 5 went up the road after the first climb of hillfoot and passage through Old Warden. I didn't expect anything of quality would stick so early so i didn't even attempt to join them. After a 2 or 3 laps CC Luton tried to put another rider up the road as we crested hillfoot, he got a gap of 200-300m and after Mitchy let me out from the inside i moved up to fouth wheel and put in a big attack. I got the gap needed and bridged over to the other rider. We worked well for a while before being joined by 3 others, which disrupted us and a large chase group caught us as we came back round to Cople. After a short rest, a few riders countered with another attack, i reluctantly attacked as well and found myself in a group of 5 or 6. Shortly after i was joined by Mitchy and a few other riders and we started to work well. A few more bridged on the same lap and this formed the chase group and last group on the road. We swept up some of the earlier breakaway, but others slipped away i think.

The last lap was disrupted well by the CC Luton riders in the chase group and eneded up being fairly slow. As we approached hillfoot for the last time, my legs were dying n the crosswind and on the climb and sprint to the finish i had nothing left. Mitchy had worked well in the break and up the final climb, rolling in about 15th with me one place behind him. The Strada Sport winner was about 3min ahead of us, a great ride.

A brutal race and the hardest Regional B i have been in. Apparently 22 finished from approximately 70 starters... Despite no points there were loads of positives including the new TMG Pro kit. It looked and performed fantastically, really impressed, if only there were style points....

I'd like to thank all of the CC Ashwell support along the route, from both club runs, the 1st/2nd cat riders on a training ride and others that supported along the way (Phil K). It really makes a difference and was very much appreciated by Mitchy and I. I saw a few camera phones out too, so if anyone has any photos, please could you post them on here.

Thanks again, on to the next one, Essex Roads on 26 Apr.

Comments

• great write up luke, sounds like a hard race well done both!
  • Good write up and we'll done both.

I was out supporting with a number of CCA riders and it looked as hard as you described. Both of you looked strong in the bunch and the new kit was very easy to spot. Sure some good results are not too far away.
  • Learnt a lot today, loved riding in a break away with Luke, but blimey it was HARD!! Could just about push my pedals up the final hill!! Can't believe only 22 finished! Well done Luke, very aggressive riding today, was your efforts that splintered the main group. Hope you are feeling better soon Jon.
  • Results up - second race in a row I've been missed from results - going to look like a bottler on my BC profile!!

The 2015 edition of the Fleche Welwyn took place under blue skies but with a vicious south westerly wind which together with potholed roads took a toll on the field. An early break of 2 went away and soon became 5 which established a decent lead which was never seriously challenged. Behind them the chasing bunch splintered in the strong winds and on the bell lap everything blew apart. The race was won by Thomas Power of Strada Sport who opened a gap of 12 seconds to Paul Fielding of St Ives. Completing the podium was Dave Watson of Coventry Road Club (a previous winner of this race) who came in 2 minutes later followed by Rich Edwards of CC Luton another 30 seconds back. Morris Bacon of Strada Sport led home what was left of the chasing bunch 3 minutes after the leader.

1 Thomas Power Strada-Sport
    2 Paul Fielding St Ives CC 12 sec
    3 David Watson Coventry Road Club 2 mins
    4 Richard Edwards CC Luton 2 mins30
    5 Morris Bacon Strada-Sport 3 mins
    6 Darren Farr CC Luton
    7 George Olive Finchley Racing Team
    8 Matthew Butt Cycling Club Hackney
    9 Chris Cassell Rapha Cycling Club
    10 Robert Fletcher Arbis - Colbert Cycles RT
    11 Joshua Andrews Autostrasse Porsche RT
    12 Christopher Hart CC Luton
    13 Luke Danckert Cycle Club Ashwell (CCA)
    14 Miles Butler London Phoenix CC
    15 Michael Coomber CC Luton
    16 Jack Steel-Jessop CC Luton 5 mins
    17 Joshua Voulters Rapha Cycling Club
    18 Mark Powell Stowmarket & District CC
    19 Jali Packer Strada-Sport
    20 Rob Saunders Rapha Cycling Club 7 mins
    21 James Boardley Peterborough CC
    22 Alan Galloway CC Luton
    23 Stuart Clarke Chelmer CC