Welcome to the forum

Chain Gang_14th April

edited April 2015 in Chain gangs
Two groups out tonight (fast and medio)

Medio Group

Lap 1 @ 20.9 mph
Lap 2 @ 21.3 mph

6 on the first lap (me, Tim, Jane, James, Pete2, Graham) with me, James and Pete2 going on to do a second in the gloom. Picked up Vince for lap 2 to get the speed up.
First lap was good to get a bit of technique going.
Well done to Pete2 for hanging in on lap 2.

Work commitments mean I can't make the next two weeks. Hope to see the Medio group progress and hopefully grow in number.

Cheers
Peter

Comments

• willl hopefully make next week or if not definitely the week after. sounds good

will hold on to the first one as long as possible then drop back each week
  • Excellent turn out tonight. We need the numbers to remain high and to grow a little more. The media group needs a few more numbers. Happy to cover while PeterT is off but would like to creep into slightly faster group soon.
    Nathaniel, get out on your bike. You love it really.

Faster group - hope it went well on lap 2. I heard it got a bit tasty. If you can discipline yourselves to keep it together more people will come along with you and get up to speed so in the summer you will have an excellent chain gang going. It is difficult with stronger riders who are ready for a higher pace already. Remember it is not a race. First lap was really smooth.

Same format next week. Try to get to tuns for 7 and do warm up around the triangle or an early lap to meet at steeple for 7.40 sharp depart or leave tuns at 7.30 sharp to get to steeple for 7.40. I think we have all got the timings now.
    May the good weather continue. And the lights are a must.
  • Can we have the average lap speeds for the faster group so people can decide which group they want to ride with.
  • The faster group fell apart on the second lap. We lost Robbie with a mechanical coming out of Steeple and on the run into Bassingborne there was a change to a team time trial and the speed jumped to around 35, dumping me first them James out the back. I am not sure that this was the plan, but if it was it was not communicated very well.
  • Thanks PeterT

My first time on a chain gang and certainly I believe the key is technique and discipline, thanks for the advice and 'in ride' coaching

Not that fit at the moment so my great plan was to do a 1 lap and call it a day, sadly great company and the silly grin on my face meant a heart over head decision to do lap 2.

Thanks for the drag home, hope i didn't slow the pace as my pleas to be cast off into the ditch where ignored! My only salvation was it was the cover of darkness when i wheezed in

A great laugh with great company and i very much enjoyed the evening - thanks

Pete2
  • Classic fast chaing gang...steady and organised first lap, hang on for dear life second lap. Good stuff.
    Ave were around 23-24 for first lap and 26s second lap. Not sure the 35mph was hit very often! We shouted the change in formation (but obviously not loud enough - sorry Martin) once we were down to 4-5 riders when the chain doesn't tend to work so well over TTT. long may those conditions hold.
    Iain
  • Excellent lap 1 nice and super smooth with Strava recording 23.5mph average. Lap 2 was interesting!

Chaingang - TTT - TT for me as Iain. MC and Daniel pulled away at Basingbourn and I didn't have the legs to stay with them so rode alone to the end and met up with Martin.

Robbie has his seat fall off - ouch !!
  • All this sounds good. Couple of Fields will be along in a week or 2. Probably medio.
  • Sounds like a good session - both medio and fast. Will be out once we can get this done in decent daylight.
  • Medio group - I thought that was a very promising start to this year, smooth changeovers and a nice consistent pace, enjoyed it a lot!

Will be there again next week...
  • First time out and great fun
    Medio group worked well for having a few newbies like me
    Pace was good and controlled.
    Got tougher when only 3 of us in rotation into the wind on last leg of second lap, would have been good to have a few more.
    So hope to be out most weeks now. Did feel in the legs next day on Wed run ( 45 miles at 18 mph )
    Must say got a real buzz on second lap heading out with the wind.
    Give it a go, if I can do it so can you

Cheers
    James
  • Good to hear you got on the front a few times Cap'n. You see, it doesn't kill you!

I would have thought the others would have heard the constant refrain 'last man'

Working hard here in Florida on the Paleo cheeseburgers and isotonic beverages.

Should have improved my wind-sheltering profile by the time I return.

Will have a bash at resurrecting my participation on chain gang nights after missing last year.

Florida Dutchman
  • Found this on the net and felt it worth sharing for beginners like me as it appears to offer some good advice on that technique and also reverses the line rotation

How To Ride Through And Off - Chain Gang | Racesmart

Just a thought

Pete2