Welcome to the forum

CCA Grass Track Open, Sun 10 May, starts 2pm... Ride and/or watch!

edited April 2015 in Grass Track
An afternoon of Grass Track racing. Come and ride or come and watch!

Comments

• OOh! Only two weeks away that! Entry on the line?
  • I think Max would always prefer online entries but im sure entry on the day will be ok.

You back in the East VP?
  • I have a narrow window of opportunity in that I may be able to manipulate a trip to collect some horse stuff (don't ask) to happen on this day. Hence my need to do entry on the day, as I won't know if I can get there for sure until the day.

Fingers crossed. Can we order sunny weather just in case anyway?
  • This from the organisers of Ashwell at home if you are thinking of going to that too. Let me know….

I'm writing to remind you that Ashwell at Home is offering your CCA members 2 Ashwell at Home programmes for the price of one (i.e. £3 each instead of £6) if they are ordered and paid for beforehand (by Friday 8th May). If anyone would like to take up this offer please let me know. We could then exchange any money and programmes during the Friday or Saturday so you have them to distribute on the great day.
  • Nice one Tim!
    Call me an old romantic, but that makes me feel like CCA has finally been accepted into the heart of Ashwell
  • Looks like the weather is going to be kind and we have plenty of riders heading our way. Have a great days racing everyone, gutted that im going to miss it.
  • Now at 95% probability. Exciting!
  • Hope it goes well for all. Unfortunately the Fields will not be there as it clashes with the next round of MSG at Hadleigh
  • Good luck everyone on the racing tomorrow. Hope weather is kind to you.
  • Hope to see lots of CCA riders signing on tomorrow! weather looks promising...
  • Thanks to everyone involved organizing and running event. Good time had by all and lovely weather.
  • well that's good news...did Max manage to get there or was he still visiting Sandra?
    Did we have a good spread of riders in blue?
  • Max and Sandra both there :). Lots of Ashwell in all races. Fantastic day.
  • Sandra was doing the signing on. Incredadible and very good to see her making a strong recovery from a really nasty accident. Max was at his rightful place on the race track start line along with Steff, Lindsey, Mark and Mark and Sally. Fabulous organisation and support and a top day. Lots of racing and some exciting action on the track.
  • I can only echo. Great job by all who helped, was a beautiful afternoon of racing. Thank you.
  • edited May 2015
    What a great event. Thanks so much to everyone who helped make it all happen... Max, Sandra, Lyndsey, Mark Wyer - what a feat to be on the mic all that time, Stef, Mark F, Sallie, and the cake makers (50p each!), and everyone else I'm sorry I haven't name-checked or don't know. Thank you.

Everyone in the Club should have a go at these Opens. Especially in 19 degree warmth, picnics and folding chairs. Great to catch up with riders, friends and spectators. A very strong Club atmosphere: and lots of shouts of encouragement during the racing. What a strong Youth section there is! Well done CCA coaches.

The view on the Track from the Back of the Pack...

Two Lap Sprint
    Within half a lap, I remembered just how much technique is involved. And how much a quick start counts. And how important it is to be on the inside line. I had none of these attributes, swinging into the long grass on the second corner on the trusty 531 Falcon from the container. I resolved to get myself down to all pop-up grass track evenings and try and master our course. Of course: Iain, John and others did really well.

Devil
    Kicking myself here. I thought I was wilier than how it worked out. Boxed in and nowhere to go. I had a fair bit left in the tank before Richard Maynard blasted in me ear 'ole that I was oot. Again, one to keep practicing in. Still, unlast this time.

Six lap handicap
    Us five or so half-lap handicappers had a TTT plan. Iain took to the front and perhaps overcooked his turn. Much appreciated though Iain! Sorry we never got you off the front quicker. As it was, we still did pretty well as a group here. I didn't have a race radio - but I did have the Yoda-like wise words of Richard M blasting and buckling my steel frame every lap. 'Scratch coming through - jump on it!' went the call on the final half lap. Swung out. Head wind and face full of grass dust. Swung back. No chance, but maybe clawed a place or two. Delighted to come in 5th I think and get a name check. The day's mission complete.

5km Scratch race
    I was unaware of this event and practicing my track stands for the following Marymoor slow lap event when we were called up. Probably for the best. 15 laps of doom, full tilt. Eventually, it strung out and a few of us formed a neat TTT team to hold on in sight of the front. I took too long on my turn - apologies Dave H and co. I couldn't hold the line near the end, but absolutely delighted to only get lapped on the finish by the fast-fast guys. btw - Dave - take some air out. You were sliding more than most out there. Great handling to keep it upright all the time!

Slow lap
    I wish this was on boris bikes. As it was I struggle to stand on fixed and I was - I think we all were - a bit thrown by the quantum physics rules. But did grab an apple and sultana chewy bar from the tempters dangling goodies by the side. Crossed the line last, legs out. Job done.

There you have it. With a provisional BC licence, you get 5 races for £20. £4 a go. Less than a pint each. And the chance to put a number on your back, have a laugh, get cheered on, push your limits. And race on our brilliant grass track. Or just bring a picnic and watch the action.

Loads of members would enjoy it and many would do well at it too. We are lucky to have it.

null
  • As above thanks to everyone who gave up their time to put this fantastic event on. It was my first go at grass track and the 5k scratch at the end was a definite highlight, riding with other members in a neat TTT formation was a great experience. Martin did a massive pull for 3 or 4 laps and I would have been off the back if not for it as it gave me a chance to find my legs after the quick start trying to hold on to the fast guys.

Martin, I tried lower and higher pressure but seemed to be sliding just as much. Maybe it's my (lack of) technique but I was starting to enjoy it by the end. I'll try and make it to the pop-up tomorrow and see what can be done about it.
  • agree all above comments, great day, well done to everyone who competed.
    thanks to all involved too, i dont think claire lewis got name checked above - judged every event and loads of other stuff too i'm sure
    sure others may have been missed too - thanks to everyone.
  • Sounds like a great day, well done to all and great that Sandra and Max made it.
  • Echo what has been said above - thanks to everyobe who helped out and made it such a lovely day.
    There was a strong field of riders and great to see so many of the youth riders give the 5k a crack!
    Many of the lads from the other clubs commented on what a unique track we have (as they all frantically tried to change their sprocket having been fooled by the gentle uphill slope and ferocious headwind) - i think it was meant as a complement.

Iain
  • Gentle uphill indeed Iain.

Out of curiosity I took a Garmin along yesterday, and was rather surprised that an afternoon of grass track gives 23 miles of riding with total climbing of 1500 feet!
  • It was indeed a fantastic afternoon, thank you to everyone for coming together to put this event on.

I'd like to give a mention to some of the youngest and newest members of CCA and also the local Go Ride school Studlands - 23 riders aged from 5-12 turned up for the Go Ride Racing event which was also held on the main track. They had an omnium which consisted of 1 lap spint heats and finals, Kierin, block handicap, 3/4 lap sprint with le mans start, they even had a go at the Marymoor Slow Lap - quite a mix of races for them to try - they coped brilliantly and did everything asked of them with great gusto.

I was very proud of each and every one of them for not only giving 110% but doing it with great big smiley faces!

Thank you all - a wonderful afternoon indeed!
  • I popped along and sampled the muffins and coffee :) (was very good) It was great to see so many kids there and enjoying themselves. It was from my view very well attended.
  • looks like everyone had a great day and delighted to learn that Sandra is making a strong recovery...hope this augers well for a full one.
    Thanks to Max especially for being such a rock and to everyone who is continuing to make this venue such a success.
    Great write up Martin and glad to see you getting stuck in...hope others in the club take up your call to grass track.
    Plans for a Durham grass track velodrome are gestating.......won't progress too far till I've got my big boys toys (JCB etc.) next year :-)
  • Results...