Welcome to the forum

Little Mountain TT

Little Mountain TT took place on Sunday and was amazing. Part of the CTT Classics Series, for the first time, this event has been a classic in its own right for some time. A figure of eight course, with the HQ in the middle of the ‘8’, it is flattish for the first part and then hilly for the second. Two of the climbs are timed and are savage. At 39 miles it does not confirm to normal distances. However it is very well attended by big names like Matt Clinton, Matt Botterill, Tejvan Pettinger, Emily Robertson and Liz Powell. I enjoyed that there was a paracycling contingent too.

CC Ashwell had four riders and so had a team: John Polak, James McKenzie, Jackie Field and myself.

My ride went just fine. I didn’t do a great time, but I didn't get anything wrong like emptying the tank too early or making really dumb braking decisions on the descents. John’s ride went similarly. Jackie rode a stormer, despite having a stressful time during her preparations. James however had a shocker. Having made a brilliant start he punctured; however not wanting the throw in the towel he limped on until he got to the HQ at about half way. Here he swapped bikes. He finished the race in, well, a time I would have been quite happy to do! However his relief to finish turned to horror as he discovered he’s lost he car key on the course. Amazingly he found it, but in fact only parts of it and so couldn’t get into his car. Fortunately there is a fine tea room nearby and John and I were ‘compelled’ to keep him company and order chocolate and praline slice until his son arrived with the spare key.

Full times here: Little Mountain TT

CCA:
John Polak 1:57:31
Jackie Field 2:03:00
Daniel Doncaster 2:10:07
James McKenzie 2:12:30
CCA were 6th team (out of 7).

The weather was chilly at the start but nice and warm by the end. Light breeze.

Stuart Dangerfield’s record, set in 2005, fell by nearly 3 minutes to Matt Botterill. Wow. 1:32:29

Brilliant day out, fantastic being part of such a great time. I am shattered still!

Daniel

Comments

• edited April 2015
    Daniel: Daniel
    James (spare bike): James
    John:John7
    Jackie: Jackie
  • edited April 2015
    Thanks for posting this Daniel. Well done to all. Jackie arrived home shattered. Think this was a tough one.

On a another note we just discovered the fly bys on Strava. Fascinating to see all the little icons racing round the TT cct. easy to see where riders made or lost ground to you.
  • Oh dear, bit unlucky there James. Just doesnt look right on that bike in the photo. What a shame.

Sounds a great event, well done to all of you and thanks for the write up and photos.