Welcome to the forum

Potential New Member

edited May 2015 in General
Hi all

I'm new(ish) to the area and have been looking for a club, originally I had planned to join BRCC but having spent a bit more time looking I think CC Ashwell maybe nearer and more convenient. I am based in Tempsford Beds and 39 years old! back when I was 20 I was time trialling and the odd crit full time but then had a 20 year or so "rest".

A trip to the Alps last September and then the Teide in November (both cycling holidays) got me hooked again and I've been training hard ever since. Last week I completed a 4 day ride from Glasgow to London, it wasen't too difficult so I think the base miles are sorted!

Anyway, Some questions if that is ok:

How far from Tempsford is Ashwell / Club Runs etc (I dont think its far looking at Google Maps, but just wanted to check!)?

I am interested in Time Trials, Chain Gangs and crits (which I want to regularly participate in when work allows) - what does the club offer in terms of these?

I have a busy working / family life (don't we all right) but I note that your evening rides / cub runs / chain gangs start at 7.30pm which suits me great, what about TT events? what day / time do these fall on?

This week I am away in Scotland for four days (I took the bike) with work but was hoping that I could attend a TT this weekend, do you offer any this Saturday / Sunday? the following week perhaps I could meet up with you guys for a club run depending on what day?

I'm not super fit (yet) but hoping to change that and throw myself into Crits and TTs.

Thanks - hope to meet you all soon

Comments

• edited May 2015
    Hi Martin,

You'll be more than welcome at CCA. Tempsford is about 15 miles away on the B road that the club runs often go on down through Everton, Potton and Wrestlingworth. You'll often see blue shirts barreling along there at various speeds.

As far as TTs and races are concerned CCA has a club 10 on Wednesday nights which starts just outside Ashwell (sign on from 6.15, first rider off at 7) on Northfields road. You can't miss it, more details of this are on the CCA website. Have a look!

The chain gang is on Tuesday nights (if you look on the forum there was chats about a Thursday night one too) 7.30 at the tuns usually (local pub in Ashwell where all the club rides meet). All the other rides are mentioned on the website. There's usually a longer ride out at 8am on Saturdays, with a couple of club runs at 9.30, Sundays have a club run and (depending on who turns up) often a faster ride at 9am and a slightly steadier 9.30 ride if you want that extra half hour in bed.

There are quite a few people racing for Ashwell now, with a very strong field in the TTs this year (one of our guys is the 4th fastest rider in the UK so far this year) and more and more people becoming interested in road racing/crits. If you turn up to Milton Keynes Bowl on Thursday nights you'll see a few blue jerseys floating around, there's often people heading down to Hog Hill, Hillingdon and the Velo-park in Gravesend too. We've got a 1st cat, a handful of 2nds and a few 3rds plus quite a few keen 4th cats coming up through the club at the moment.

As a member of CCA you'll be joining an Eastern Road Race League affiliated club which means that entry into road races in the region is much easier! Most races prioritise ERRL clubs so if you're not a member of one then your entry will get shunted to the bottom of the list and it's likely you won't get a ride. There are plenty of open TTs to enter at weekends (see the CTT website) and most road races are on Sunday mornings if you'd like to have a crack at them (see the British cycling website).

I hope that helps! If you want to find out more, there's a club night on the first Tuesday of every month (tonight!) in The Three Tuns in Ashwell. Have a look on the forum for more details...

See you soon!

Will
  • edited May 2015
    Hi Martin,

Glad you're thinking of joining us, I saw your thread on the TTF forum (FYI for the others here: HERE)

Importantly for TT in this region, CC Ashwell is a member of the ECCA: WEBSITE, which means you can ride the E2 courses far more regularly than clubs who are not, and ride other association-only events.
  • Hi guys

Sounds really good, thanks - definately what I am looking for!, what is the easiest way to sign up / pay?

Can I perform a bank transfer and get signed up?

Thanks
  • Just transfer 15 quid over to Cycle Club Ashwell, Barclays, Hitchin, 20382167, 20-41-12. Write SUBS followed by your name. Then get out on the club runs and say hello! Look forward to meeting you.

Will
  • Great to have you on board Martin. Also can you read the membership page, and download the form, and return it when you get a chance. Thanks.
    membership
  • Thanks guys, I will get that transferred over ASAP.

Looking forward to a club run / chain gang soon.
  • edited May 2015
    Hi all

Just to double check, is there a chain gang on tomorrow night?

I will be working in London tomorrow but I was hoping to get back to Bedford Station at 5ish pm then drive over in time for the 7.30pm start depending on the answers to my questions below.

1. I've not ridden in a chain gang for a long time (read 20 years or so) but I have done group riding although a little rusty (I rode daily for 4 days a few weeks ago as mentioned from Glasgow to London in a 15 rider bunch)

2. I'm possibly not as fit yet as I want to be - hence riding in the chain gang to get fitter, I haven't done any TT's yet but I average in the 18s on my training rides, is that going to be good enough to hang on for 30mins or so?

Basically I am eager to start but obviously don't want to get in anybody's way at the same time!

I wanted to have a go at the 10 Mile TT this week too but now I am in London on Wednesday also so it will have to wait a week unfortunately. (I was in Glasgow all last week!)

Also money will be paid for membership tonight.

Thanks
  • edited May 2015
    Hi Martin

Chain gangs... dive in! The two I've done this season were around 22mph av. Well within reach if you average 18mph solo, once you've accounted for the effects of drafting [30%? benefit].

There's no need for lessons. Anticlockwise thru-and-off. Listen to the others who will shout out advice if need be.

Unfortunately, I can't make it this week - but hope to keep at them all summer. Only 5 out last week. When that became 4 for lap two, we TTT'd - so simply go as fast as you can on your turn. And if you fall off the back - you fall off the back. Come back for more next week.

I have a feeling you'll be just fine.

Remember lights.

Good luck!
  • edited May 2015
    Hi Martin / all

Thanks for the info regarding the chain gangs unfortunately work made sure I missed last weeks but I did manage to have a quick blast (on my own) around the club TT circuit just before sunset, its a pretty good course! looking forward to having an official go sometime soon.

Just FYI I have paid my membership and transferred as above, I'm looking to get out on tuesday again and possibly the MK Bowl crit on thursday if anyone is interested - can I just turn up at the MK Bowl and pay at the gate or do I have to pay / sign upfront (assuming British Cycling Silver Lic + Race Lic)? Whats the pace like? is it a rolling start or standing? also I wont obviously have club kit by then so what can I wear? castelli kit with no club / sponsor branding?, I was going to drive over on the Tues is there somewhere I can leave the car? simply so I can get there on time! :-)

How do I order club kit etc?

Cheers
  • Have a look in the "new kit" thread. There's instructions on how to order the kit there. The bowl is a standing start and the pace is what you'd expect from any short crit-ish race. Fast. I think you can just rock up and sign on there and if you're a 4th cat you can wear what you like! I do have some kit in stock do can probably sort you out with a jersey and some shorts, depending on your size. We're not a sponsored club... Otherwise it'll be a little while before the next club kit order goes off. I hope that's helpful.
  • Thanks very helpful, what sizes have you got available in club kit?
  • edited May 2015
    Small and large in shorts, XS, S, M, L in jerseys, S, M and L in skinsuits.