Welcome to the forum

Norlond 50 race report

edited May 2015 in Time Trial
Myself and Jason raced the Norlond 50 today, on the F1B/50. It was my first ever 50, and Jason's first for 2+ years.
It's the first time for many years this variant of the course has been used, it heads south to Baldock services, a short bit of the A507 and then back up to Tempsford, x 2. Pretty lumpy, two big hills.
There was a SE wind so the outleg was tough in places, but it was a flyer back up to Tempsford, once I had got one lap in the bag and clawed back some decent average speed heading north, I realised you could empty the tank back into the headwind and cling on for the final stretch home (that's how you pace a 50 right, just cling on!). That said the wind speed was increasing so the second lap was tougher in places.
I started to feel it at 1hr 45 and annoyingly my 2 minute man, who I had passed, then got passed by him, then passed him again all on the first lap reappeared. I learnt afterwards he was doing negative split pacing so was onto a flyer on the home leg, but it made me question whether my legs had died and wasn't going fast enough (thankfully not true, I was over a minute up on him in the end)
I posted 1:58:22, relatively happy but I was a way off the fastest, Matt Smith won with a 1:43, there were a few other fast guys sub 1:50. I was 1-3 minutes down on guys I had beaten in races last year but they have the experience at this distance, and being my first 50 I was more pleased my nutrition worked fine and I didn't die away at the end.
Jason did 1:59:33, he thought he could have started harder, and he has been playing around with his position which he needs to adapt to.
Thoroughly recommend anyone trying a 50, it makes 25's feel easy!

Comments

• Nice riding. Seem like a great pace for nearly 2 hours of riding
  • Sounds good... I've got my first 50 this weekend. Any advice about nutrition and hydration? I was thinking of sticking a few gels up my shorts (ahem), a cereal bar in my back pocket and then having one bottle on the bike and one between the extensions. Does this sound okay or is it a big too much do you think?
  • Sounds a bit OTT Will, I do one bottle on bike and one gel up skinsuit leg for a 2 hour TT. One gel and a good drink about 20 minutes before the start. Your glycogen stores should be fine for about 90 minutes at threshold anyway, and your body is unable to absorb more than about 100g of carbs per hour in any case. Two gels and some maltodextrin in your bottle is nearly twice that. Maybe take two gels if you're concerned. I wouldn't fancy eating an energy bar at threshold.

Good luck!

Great ride Chris and Jase BTW.
  • Are you telling me that all this time I've spent creating the world's most aero Cornish pastie is wasted time?
  • Can you use it as a helmet?
  • Is that the race on the E2/50 this weekend Will?

Nutrition is individual but what you've suggested is way too much. I've learnt through training all I need for a 50 is 3 x Gels, all in a gel flask in a bento box, nice and aero. No bottle as I don't feel I need hydration, I hydrate a lot before the race. It does depend on the humidity though, if I were to race at 18+ degrees I would consider taking a bottle.
    As John says you can't absorb more than 100g of carbs per hour, in fact I've thought it was lower at 1g per kilo of bodyweight.
    Take any nutrition at the turns, then you're not wasting time when you should be at your fastest.

It all gets more scientific and aero-considerate when you don't have the luxury of a mussette in RR!
  • We need photos of this aero pastie...
  • Hmmm good sound advice that. Never thought about taking the food at a turn. I tend to get thirsty on TTs a bit... For a 2 hour effort I'd probably have 2-3 gels if I was going at a pace. Saying this, most road races are between 3-3 and a half hours and I seem to do fine with plenty of hydration and food before, 2 510ml bottles and 3-4 gels. But then the road races are much more stop/start. A musette? Don't think I've ever seen one of them in an ERRL race! I did once see somebody handing up a banana which I thought was a bit odd...

Aero pastie has had a setback with the UCI. With a higher ingredients to meal ratio of 3:1 it's been deemed illegal.
  • It is 1g per kg Chris of maltodextrin, then you can get a further 0.3g of fructose as well. I am a bit heavier than you are :)
  • Just seen the start sheet on the ECCA site, I sense an under-the-radar attempt at club record (no pressure!)
    Good luck Will, have a good race.
  • Don't know about that, Chris. Never ridden a 50 before and have to look after the Primavera on Sunday so no chance to race then. Thought I'd give it a go! Not entirely sure what sitting on a TT bike will feel like...
  • there is a distinct possibility you will crack the pastry depending on whether it is the sweet or savoury end of the pasty Will :-)
    Good luck but you'll probably have to play trumpet sitting down until you straighten up again.
  • Well there's something in those pasties......