Welcome to the forum

Chaingang 12th May

edited May 2015 in Chain gangs
Who else is out? Weather looks a lot better than last week.....

Comments

• I will be out.

Middle group for me ~ 22 mph

Hope to see more out tonight!
  • I am planning to join the middle group. Is it 7pm or 7.30pm start?
  • Officially 7:30 at the Three Tuns, but usually a few meeting at 7 for a warm-up
  • I will be at the Tuns at 7-30 pm

Best for middle group to meet there and get organised (I think)
  • I'll be out with the middle group too.
  • Doubt i will make it tonight. Might join you on the second lap if im lucky :(
  • Noah and I are hoping to make it for the medio. Will be arriving by bike from Bassingbourn so hopefully meet you on the way over
  • Andy,
    thanks for posting. I know Mark C and Robbie are planning to be out tonight. Hopefully many more also. I may pop out for a gentle spin but still not clear of cold so will see.
  • Should be there for 7 for warm up
  • Medio group began with 7 and lost some but picked up Robbie, Stef and Vincent at various points

Pretty good effort by everyone

Lap one @ 21.9 mph
    Lap two @ 21.7 mph

Looking forward to seeing a few more out over the next few weeks

Cheers
    Peter
  • Thanks everyone. Our first outing this year and really enjoyed that

Stuart and Noah
  • Good turn out for the faster group tonight (Robbie, Stef, Will, Martin, Martin, MC, Daniel, Andy, Vincent). A welcome appearance from Will after his fancy latex tyres blew up ahead of his Nomad TT giving him the night off. Group stayed together for the first lap and with the addition of Martin's fresh legs we upped the average for lap 2. Nice and smooth. In region of 23mph ave.

And best wishes to Carmelo who we heard had "pedalled furiously" into the back of a police car. Hope you are on the mend quickly Carmelo!
    Iain
  • Was interesting! Good to do the chaingang at last, that was my first one.

2 things that will make it go faster and smoother:

1. When you pull off the front ease up till you get to the back. Ease up straight away to allow the next rider to come through and take the wind. If both of you are sat pushing on the front then not only are you wasting your energy but you're making the rider who's coming through work harder than they want to and draining their energy too.

2. Go slower up the hills! This is really noticeable on club runs but still happens on the chaingang. As we came out of steeple my power shot up by over a hundred watts just to keep up with some of the riders. Then everybody freewheeled down the other side! Keep the effort steady and push down the hills and you'll find the average speed of the group staying high as you're much less likely to drop people.

Just a couple of thoughts...
  • Spot on, Will. Those are exactly the things that make it hard for me to a) hang on and b) give my best to the group
    It's what we all do instinctively and at the time our brains say, I'm putting in more effort which must be good for the team
    It's not good for our bodies though - consistent effort and sharing the work is what will make the team get round faster
    That said, it's a great skill to learn and plenty of fun to be had in the process
  • Exactly right!
    These are the things the middle group has focussed on and did so again last night.
    Usually people (in the middle group) are a little too eager on lap 1 when we're fresh and charge up the hill out of Steeple. We just need to curb our enthusiasm a little!

Jane - it's unfortunate that you can't do Tuesdays, but when you can come along again, you will more than hang on!
  • That's what I noticed last night in the medium group - we managed to stay together up the hill on both laps, which I thought was really good. I guess it's about constant group effort, not constant speed.

I was quite surprised to see our average speed at almost 22, as it felt slower than that - maybe it's a case of do the above, and the speed takes care of itself...
  • You're just fitter now!
  • Can't do next week, but hoping to join you on 26th (half term)