Welcome to the forum

Western Summer League CX

Lovely big turn-out on glorious sunshine-y evening in Cheltenham. Local summer league is quite a big force in it's own right, with a total of 9 races, fields of over 80, good local club organisation and (hold your breath) chip-timing!

The course was hard and fast, but with technical off-camber sections, and lot's of changes of surface gradient, getting things wrong wasn't too difficult. The format is nice and old-school - one race, with all the categories thrown in together (save for the U12s who get their own short race first).

I had a number of issues, first my mech-hanger broke within the first sighting lap. Luckily had a spare and managed to fashion a Heath Robonson bodge job on the busted rear mech so it limped through the race - though the shifting wasn't the best I've ever known it to be. Then my pedals decided that they would occasionally let the cleats get out for a bit of fresh air. That was a bit disconcerting mid-gallop. Thirdly, I couldn't quite dial in the right pressures to get my tyres to get the optimal amount of grip. I suspect that these Vittoria tubs are not quite the product they ought to be. I wanted to be on my trusty TUFO file treads, but their sidewalls have perished since the winter season (I've had my money's worth with three seasons and over 3k miles).

Lastly my brain somehow hadn't grasped the distinction between the bell and the finishing flag, so after an almighty sprint for the bell(!), I then pulled over and watched in amazement as everyone carried on racing past me. Doh!

6th V40 and 18th overall, not too bad considering all the issues and being ungridded as a bit of a newcomer to these parts. Felt good (if slightly strange given the weather) to be racing cross again.

Daniel Doncaster rode a strong race too, 6th V50 and within touching distance of the podium.

Two Ashwell riders in Western League! Whatever next?

Comments

• Well done you two, great write up and good to know the western branch of CCA are keeping up the CX!
  • I really enjoyed myself last night. A great course. The chip timing worked a treat so I had the 'Eastern League CX Experience' of being able to pour over the times (and lap times) in the evening.

The western chapter of CCA have smiles on their faces now that a cyclocross season has begun again!
  • That sounds great. Well done both of you. The Fields will be down that part of the world in half term. Don't suppose there is a race then? 27th May?

Stuart
  • YES ! The race on May 27th is a cracker - Warmly Forest Park. The course is on a hill and features mixed surfaces, steps, grass land and the sort of fun you expect in October. Very muddy if wet. Details here

It would be great to see you all there.
  • Yes! May 27th at Warmley Park

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/?series_id=436

You must all enter! That will be awesome 6 CCA in one race - the locals will start panicking!