Welcome to the forum

Cycle hard case - Mallorca bike hire - Any tips

edited May 2015 in General
Has the club got any hard cases that can be borrowed or rented. I've got 5 days in Mallorca next month,but not sure if i'll rent a bike or maybe take my own.

The costs aren't that different unless your renting a top end bike for 75 euro/day. If anyone has a few pointers i'd appreciate it.

I found the following company,so if anyone has used them and can give me any feedback that would be great.

http://bikehead.se/

The other option was to buy a case
http://www.sdjsports.co.uk/hardcase.html

Comments

• Hi,

We rent hard case cycle boxes:

1 week = £50.00
    2 weeks = £90.00
    3 weeks = £130.00

Deposit which is refunded upon return of the box is £300.00

Trisports, 48 Station Rd, Letchworth, Herts, SG1 3HJ - Tel: 01462 683615 info@trisports.co.uk
  • Ouch, can I suggest buying one for that much, a far better investment if you are going to cycle abroad more than once.

It would be great if the club had a pool of boxes to rent at a reasonable price.
  • We have discussed buying some boxes but decided it wasn't the best use of club funds.

Simplest thing if you are going to the north is to visit Mick Garrods mate at Pro Cycle Hire. Titanium Van Nic for about £150 a week. Job done, no messing about.

Pro Cycle Hire.
  • We went to Majorca a couple of weeks ago. We hired excellent bikes from Pro cycle hire as mentioned by Tim for about 100 euros for 6 days. This was almost the same price as booking a bike box on the plane and was completely hassle free so for us it was a no brainer.

Enjoy - the cycling was fantastic, although could be getting very hot there by next month.
  • Alternatively, we hired a Pinarello and Merida at Cyclos Quintana in S'Arenal near Palma and cycled up to Pollenca. Travel light, hand luggage only, amazing tarmac all the way. Would definitely do that again!
  • Agree with the above comments about hiring a bike, I've hired a bike from Pro Cycle Hire for the last six years and never been disappointed, and I'm off back for more fun in the sun in September.

General consensus amongst the regulars I cycle with on Mallorca is that it's only really worth taking your own bike if you are staying more than a week. Cost of flyng your bike out, hire/purchase of a bike box, the hassle of packing and lugging your bike about, risk of loss (15 cyclists earlier in this year arrived in Mallorca on one EZ Jet flight minus bikes for several days!), risk of damage and in my case need to hire a much bigger vehicle to transport bike and family all make it a no brainer.

I enjoy the opportunity to ride something different each time too.
  • Thanks all for your feed back. I had looked for bike hire in Palma,but could only find the Boris type city bikes, so thanks to Jenny for the Cyclos Quintana tip as it''s just a stones throw from my hotel. A nice Lampre Merida carbon race replica has been reserved for me.

Now i just need to hit the hills of Hertfordshire to prep me for my trip....!