Welcome to the forum

LETCHWORTH GRAND PRIX Sunday 14th June - Help needed.

edited May 2015 in General
Following our two hugely successful recent events, time has come to start preparing for the next one on the calendar, the inaugural Letchworth Grand Prix on Sunday 14th June.

For those of you who have not heard, this will be a full day of cycling festivities in Letchworth's Broadway Gardens, with 8 hours of road closures to enable some fantastic racing. The event forms part of the Tour of Hertfordshire and CCA will be working alongside Herts County Council and Kinetic Cycles to run round 2 of the series. As a club our role is to organise 9 races throughout the day along with various Go-Ride races. Jamie Quiggin has been working very hard to get these up and running and we now have over 100 entries through the British Cycling online entry system with many more expected on the day.

As you can imagine with 8 hours of road closures right in the heart of the town, and so many riders to get signed on, have gears checked and get on the start line, we are going to need a lot of volunteers. Thanks you to all those that have offered their help already either on a previous post about the event or in person, but now we have an Event Management Plan from Herts County Council, I can give you a bit more information on what is required.

We have been asked to provide marshalls to cover three shifts over the day, 12:00 - 14:30, 14:30 - 18:00 and 18:00 - 20:00. Please sign up for the doodle poll for a shift or for all three if you can help out all day. We are going to need some people for the whole day to help with signing on, gear checking and judging, so if you have any experience in any of these please let me know and sign up for all three shifts. If you are planning to race there should be a shift which fits in with your racing schedule and any help will be appreciated.

http://doodle.com/exx6fggbk5vmp3q7

Comments

• Thanks Will, you don't know how many edits it took to still not get that link working properly.
  • Hi Dave - as discusssed at the Primavera, I'm available to help out at the Grand Prix and have put myself down as a marshall.

No experience of gear checking or judging, but can shout out riders numbers if required, as practised at the Knight's Templar 'cross a couple of years ago!

John
  • Please could this thread be added to the stickies at the top.

Thanks

Dave
  • Sorry - would normally have loved to help out but this is the same day as the Velothon Wales closed road sportive which a number of us are doing. Sounds like a great event and I hope it all goes well.
  • Thanks to those who volunteered on an earlier thread, have added your names to the Doodle
    We need all the help we can get so please sign up here, thanks.
    volunteer
  • Sorry I'm doing the Velathon Wales event as well.
    Would have been happy to help.
  • I've added my name as I'm free from work commitments now. Never done anything like this before so will be a first.
  • edited May 2015
    Schedule of races is here
  • edited June 2015
    I see they've put road closure signs up around Kennedy gardens. So what's going on on the 13th? Some sort of pre cycling closed roads festival? There's no mention of the 14th...
  • edited June 2015
    Letchworth Festival parade - have you not voted for Letchworth's favourite poem yet..

Shame on you;-)
  • Is there a poem about not getting enough points to hold on to your 2nd cat for another year? I might vote for that one.