Welcome to the forum

Foam rollers

edited May 2015 in General
Does anyone know anything about foam rollers. There seems to be a lot of different versions and sizes. Any suggestions as to what would be useful for general recovery purposes?

Jackie

Comments

• Avoid one which is too soft. Roll on them quite slowly. It will hurt, especially when you start using it. They are effective though. I ordered one on Monday from Escape Fittness as I was poorly with a sportive hangover!
  • I've got an orange one from escape fitness that Daniel advised getting. It makes me pull a selection of interesting faces after strenuous exercise. Half of me says "what a useful bit of kit" half of me says "get that thing away from me".
  • Get one called The Grid

A bit more hurty but does the job well
  • Trisports sell a few different types and gave me good advice. There are some good videos on YouTube of Dan Martin demonstrating a routine for cyclists. I try to use them occasionally as part of my stretching routine. Especially good if you are trying to get rid of a niggle or injury.
  • HI Dan,

I was lucky enough to take a foam roller class while out on a training camp in March. You want one that is at least 6 inches and the Grid suggested above is a great refinement of the concept. The Dan Martin video aligned nicely with what I learned from the exercise physiologist on the camp.

Make sure to do them calves, especially down around the achilles. Big benefits from injury avoidance.

It's making a difference in terms of recovery and ability to train day on day.
  • edited May 2015
    Saw some in local Sports Direct which seem v similar and half the price of The Grid
  • edited May 2015
    Agree with the Grid, the wife and I have a Grid as well as a Nike one that is similar from Argos. There doesn't seem to be much difference, but both are firm enough and similar in price.