Welcome to the forum

Ashwell-Wells-next-the-Sea 123m, Fri 4 Sept 2015, 8am

124»

Comments

• Martin, I have to say, what a fantastic day, great group, nice friendly, steady day,lots of people with mileage bests too,....... Well done all ;-)
  • Great day out, thanks Martin, epic, and all who carried food/drink to the lunch stop/train, and anyone who looked after me when i was flagging.

spot the difference:

Promenade des Anglais, Nice:

Promenade des Norfolk Dumplings, Wells-next-the-sea
  • Brilliant day out, massive thanks to Martin for organising and to everyone who took their (and my!) turn on the front. Highlight as always was meeting new riders and the spin through Holkham Hall. Low point was the very dark last couple of miles from Steeple to Ashwell station with a dodgy front light. Hope everyone got home safely.

Thanks all for making it a great day, and thanks Stef for the pics above...I'll let you know next week which is best!
  • Thanks Martin what a great day. And thanks again to you Jenny and Mat for providing refreshments on the way. Hope you all got home safely.
    John
  • edited September 2015
    It's easy to have a good day on the bike but Martin, you made it awesome!

Coffee - perfect, Weather - good (if a tad windy), People - fantastic, Sausage and Chips - very much needed, Punctures - very much not needed, Beer - Amazing, Cocktails - Epic

155 miles all in for me, included riding from Royston rail station back to Ashwell, dowing a few Leffe and a finishers cocktail before riding back home to Royston!!
  • Yes a great ride , good company and unbelievable weather if you looked back to Wednesday's forecast.Thanks again Martinfor your organisation
  • Thanks everyone. Another good ride to Wells. A tough one: headwinds and crosswinds all the way made it our slowest yet, 15.5mph or so. But that didn't matter.

Maybe 22-23 riders? More? We seemed to acquire them as we bobbed along. Yes: the rain held off. Amazing.

Polite and controlled group skills. And Jenny says it best: the best thing on these kind of Club rides is the chance to meet others you don't ordinarily ride with.

The diversion to Welney proved to be a desolate road. And tagged on 7 miles. More than I thought. So badges both quite inaccurate - but well deserved.

One small tumble following a concertina in the group. But nothing serious.

I will make a note for next year to up the Crumps pork pie quota in the saddle bag, over the Belgian ales. Not least because they proved popular, and because I lost two bottles to bobbly Norfolk roads. Wouldn't have minded - but they were two of the Gulden Draaks - apparently 'best beer in the world 1998'.

Thanks to everyone working well as a group. Especially Mark W acting often as group rear gunner - watching out for those entering a dark place now and then. Nice to see Stef making it despite lack of miles of late; courage! My haddock in French's chippy was excellent.

Jenny's welsh cakes worked a treat. You'll never see Steve without a bag of jelly babies. Matt's Leffe holder: patentable.

The Fenman pub in King's Lynn was jumping. Maybe everyone in King's Lynn just got paid. The train ride back is always lively and it was nice to see our finisher's cocktail as the guest cocktail at the Tuns. Very refreshing. Then MC and Chelle turned up. Lovely.

Any road, here's a hastily edited video, given a bit of Tom Petty zip;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb21Arcqe7s

Thanks Norfolk. See you 2016!
  • Great video Martin, and thanks again for organising a great ride and to you, Matt and Jenny for the mid-ride snacks. I agree with your suggestion for more pies, less beer, though.

And yes Matt's beer-carrier was total genius, but with the added benefit to those of us following of being an audible pot-hole early warning device - now that would be patentable!

Am totally loving my slowly growing badge collection - can we have a CCA collectors book to put them, like those football sticker books we had when we were kids...?!
  • Love the video Martin. What a great thing to do. And loved the ride. Lillie and I got home and demolished a dominoes pizza then fell asleep immediately. Great day.
  • The beer carrier will be re-incarnated as a pork pie receptacle for 2016!
  • Great video and loved the music.