Welcome to the forum

MK Bowl reports 17th/24th April

edited April 2008 in Road Racing
MK bowl racing started last Thursday (17th April) an 4 Ashwell riders attended. Scott in the E/1/2 race, Trahern, Pete, Carmello in the 3/4 race.
Carmello and Trahern put in a number of attacks and chased down other breaks. With 5 laps to go Trahern went on a break with 2 other riders, but got caught up with a loitering E12 bunch. With 2 laps to go we were caught. Trahern kept near the front and managed make go with the final sprint to what I thought was 3rd place. However, apparantly 3 riders went off the front on the first lap, and joined the main pack Madison style. So my 3rd turned into a 6th. I think Carmello was out of the points.
Scott in the E/!/2 worked hard in the bunch and thinks he got in the top 10 ( not sure though). It was all a bit chaotic at the end and no official results have been posted yet.

Thursday 24th April saw a bigger crowd at the bowl, with an even stronger Ashwell presence. Scott, Trahern, Carmello, Keith, Tim (Hector), Will. All but Scott in the 3/4 race.
A damp track didn't slow things down much, and a 5 minute rain shower meant things were a little hairy at times. Carmello, Trahern, Will, & Tim all put efforts into breaks and or chasing down breaks, but didn't organise themselves into a proper Ashwell group ( must improve this I think). Tim went on a two man break that looked promising, but was caught by the chasing pack and Will put in a number bursts up the hill to stretch the pack. Trahern went 2nd man at the front of the pack with 2 laps to go, but ran out of gas for the last lap. The race turned into a bunch sprint with Carmello being the first Ashwell rider (maybe 10th place overall?), with Trahern next rider through. Keith and Tim followed in the tight bunch. Will unfortunately got forced off the track onto the grass on the penultimate and lost momentum, but still finished strongly.
A really good showing from Ashwell club, with only St Ives & MK fielding a similar number of riders. If we can work better as a group we should be able to string the race out a bit more and put more pressure on the riders who just wait for the sprint at the end.

Scott had a hard race putting attack after attack in. He looked decidedly ill at the end of the race from his effort, but the colour had returned to him a bit by the time we all left the Bowl. His hard work paid off and Andy Irons (Ashwell club supporter & break timer for the last two weeks) thinks Scott came in 6th/7th.

Comments

• Latest race at the bowl May 8th, Richard, Tim, will, Andy and Keith in the cat 3/4 race, after the usual steady start and the jostling for positions, things warmed up, Andy and Tim featuring near the front early on, Richard, Keith and Will, staying in the middle of the bunch.
    On the last time up the hill before the race ventured out the gate for the first time Keith had a slight helping hand from another rider and went from a nice front end position accross the grass before returning back onto the circuit in last place some 30 yards off the back. Tim and Richard had moved up to the sharp end Andy had to drop out with a bit of wheel trouble and Will was hanging around the back end of the bunch. Tim and Richard continued to maintain contact with the front of the bunch( both riders doing some work on the front )with Keith moving back up just behind them.

Then the crash, as the lead riders went round the sharp right hand bend four or five riders went down, one spectacular just in front of me straight over the bank and over the handlebars, Tim was going really well but was involved in the accident and was to play no further part in the race, he was looking very strong up to that point. Luckily no one was seriously injured.
    As soon as the accident happened the race split and there was groups all over the place, Richard i believe got away with the front few and maintained a good race to finish in 7th place and bag a few more points, Keith hung in a group behind until the last lap when a bad cramp in his right leg slowed him down some( he's getting to old). What a painful way to finish, will came in a little way back but good experience for the junior, when he get's a bit stronger we are all in trouble.

Scott raced in the fast boys race and came in with the front bunch in a sprint finish, finishing in either 6th or 7th, another strong performance from the young pup. I could do with his legs lungs and youth.

Yours on the bike
    The Arlesey Flyer