Welcome to the forum

Lethworth GP - Wow & thank you

edited June 2015 in General
Wow - that about sums up today. I am super proud of the efforts of CCA members throughout what was a brilliant days racing in Letchworth. Thank you all for your support and encouragement throughout the event.

Overall, today was amazing as a newby to managing a cycling events. There was lots to learn, lots to celebrate, lots to discuss and best of all lots of great racing to enjoy. A few of my highlights were:
- Experiencing the speed of the U14's on the last corner - an amazing sprint that the pro's would be proud of.
- Seeing the kids enjoy a great day - amongst otger things Samuel and Joseph Hadsley really enjoyed riding a side by side trike in the bikeability area - it's not all about super speed and carbon rims!
- Watching some greatly experieneced riders batter themselves in exceptionally competitive races. There were some riders racing 3 back to back events across categories, this was amazing to see.
- Finally seeing so many people experience the thrill and exitement of bike racing in the town with the great festival atmosphere that Kinetic cycles arranged in the centre of the gardens.

I'd like to mention a few CCA people who made today possible.

Judges - Stef and Daniel were the rock on which todays event was based. We managed to get get accurate results out quicker than I have ever seen at crit events elsewhere. Your research, slick process and support of the likes of James D, Marcus (Kinetic) & Steve Lightfoot and Archie Bracewell was envied by all the clubs that were there. We had some greatly supportive commisaires and this was definitely a benefit Thank you Derek and Alison.

Marshals - We were worried before the start that there weren't enough marshals. I should imagine everyone is bored of the call for more marshals for the event. In the end Dave Hadlsey gathered enough peple to staff the key points and relieve people after they had been on a post for a few hours. Your professional handling of the road closures, crashes and barriers blowing over through the event was amazing. Thank you Dave & the team of volunteers.

Sign on - Now if we thought judging was slick, sign on was something else. You managed to get 320 entrants through the massivey overcomplicated proces BC presented us with. This was done with a calm approach and smile for all the riders. I'd especially like to thank Catherine, my daugher Charlotte and Andrew R's wife and daughters (sorry I'm terrible with names!)

Go Ride - Lindsey ran a great setup on the grassy area. The kids that came along had a chance to enjoy a great ride on the course and enjoy a taste of competitive cycling. Thank you.

CCA area - In Sallie's own words, now that we have flags, banners, cowbells, bang bang sticks, a massive podium and a gazebo means that are a "proper' club. We had great presence at the event today and lot of requests to use the new CCA branded kit at other events like the cross, grasstrack and road races. Great stuff for the future. Go CCA!

Die hard crew of barrier movers - There were 12 of us left at the end to clear up the 400 barriers on the course. Thank you to the dirty dozen, all of which are either current or future CCA members!

Today was a great example of the CCA team spirit and I am proud to be part of it.

Thank you all, and see you next year!

Jamie

Comments

• Jamie,

Just a quick thank you from a CCA member that rocked up, 'enjoyed' my race and shot off. Absolutely brilliant event, really slick and professional. From the small amount of racing I got to watch, it was brilliant to see so many riders in blue. Also it was great to have so many people cheering me, considering I only joined in Jan. CCA is certainly a progressive club, and this event confirmed to me I definitely made the right choice when picking a club. Next time I'll ban my wife from going to Belgium and get the whole clan down to help!!

Thanks again

Mitchy
  • Wow is about right. i cant quite believe how much was going on yesterday and how fantastically well it all went.
    huge thanks to everyone involved, yet again you did the club proud - really really proud.

so many people were involved, but special thanks to jamie and dave for all their work before, during and after the event.

and the racing was brilliant, amazing solo efforts, great group sprints - it had everything.
    thanks again
  • edited June 2015
    once the racing got going didnt have time to take any photos, but these are from early on before it all got going.
    a back view of the fantastic cca area - thanks sallie and claire and all involved in arranging/setting up
  • and the first race of the day.. the start of the scootathlon
    this was a day for everyone, not just experienced bike racers!
  • Brilliant, well done to all the team but especially Jamie. It must have been very stressful at times but it sounds like you pulled off a great event and I'm sure gained hugely valuable experience for the future.

ps. can't wait to see all the new CCA kit!
  • Absolutely gutted I couldn't get over yesterday. Sounds like it was a pretty amazing day! Well done all those involved.
  • Great event.
    Gear checked nearly 150 bikes yesterday and I don't think I heard a single negative comment all day. Definitely a few competitors (and parents) new to the process.
    Thanks to Steve L for helping out at peak times when the queue was starting to grow, and to Stuart F taking over while I watched Nathan and the other U12s.

Neil
  • Huge thanks from me too. All volunteers went above and beyond what was asked of them, willingly and professionally going about their tasks all day.

Everyone I spoke to commented on how slick everything was and that's all down to you guys. It really was a huge effort, not least having to put up with my constant stressing!

Dave
  • Absolutely great event!
    Huge thank you to Jamie and the organising team - I saw, via lindsey, how much went into putting an event like that on. You did yourselves and the club proud. Very professional.

In terms of the ride experience - I've never ridden a course like that before - really good fun tearing round the corners especially the dead turn which gave the brakes a good run for their money. Proper lung-popping stuff and I predictably blew up after about 15mins. It looked like Baron got a second place in my race which was a fantastic result. I know all the kids had a great time too and some great racing by everyone. Would recommend it to anyone in our club to get involved next time.
    Big thank you to all who made it happen.
    Iain
  • Well done everyone

Fantastic, professional event right on our doorsteps!

Letchworth resident friends of mine (non-cyclists) commented how good the day was. One of them, a serial marathon runner was very jealous that the roads were closed, when his club couldn't achieve this for the annual Standalone 10k - but that is a longer course.

Good upper body workout too, stacking 400 barriers onto the lorry in the gloaming!

John