Welcome to the forum

Downloading to Strava from Garmin Device

edited June 2015 in General
Is anybody having trouble interfacing their Garmin with Strava at the moment? The option to use the plugin seems to have disappeared? Tried various computers and browsers with same scenario.

Comments

• I always use the from file option which has worked tonight
  • Strava did an upgrade a few months back and there was a new/upgrade to the Garmin plugin as well

I tried various options, but the only ways that work for me now are 'upload from file' and 'upload from device'. For me, it's more fiddly than it used to be and slower especially if I want to upload several files at once

I blame the IT dept ... and I'm sure they'll sort it out given time (and feedback)
  • The plugin option disappeared last week, not sure why, I liked it.
    I spent a frustrating couple of hours last Friday trying to link Strava and Garmin Connect with Garmin Express, without success.
    Eventually resorted to uploading from file.
    For shorter rides I tend to let my phone deal with Strava, it's much quicker, but longer rides exhaust the battery.
  • Thanks for the responses. Hopefully they will restore the plugin option as it was quick and easy. Will need to find some spare time to sort this.

Really frustrating.
  • I can confirm that using Garmin Express to upload ride data to Garmin Connect and having Garmin Connect sync to Strava is straightforward to setup and seamless to get ride data onto Strava.

Steps are

1. Setup Garmin Connect account
    2. Install Garmin Express on your PC/Laptop to enable sync of your Garmin device to Garmin Connect
    3. Allow Strava to access your Garmin Account by pressing the "+" symbol in the top right, selecting "Upload Activity" from the menu then select " Garmin - Get Started" - This is done from the Strava site
    4. enter Garmin Connect account details
    5. From now all you need to do to upload your rides is to sync with Garmin Connect either through wi-fi or USB depending on your Garmin model then the ride will automatically appear in Strava a few minutes later.

Cheers

Andrew
  • I've found that Garmin Connect no longer works with Chrome but that it remains happy to function with Firefox. What I'll do if that changes I have no idea!
  • edited June 2015
    Garmin Connect does work with Chrome however the Garmin Communicator Plugin no longer works with Chrome

The best way to get rides onto Garmin Connect is to download Garmin Express - available for Mac and Windows here which will keep your device up to date and sync rides.

Once your rides are in Garmin Connect there are ways to automatically sync with other tools, I use ridewithgps and Strava (as on my previous post) with no additional intervention needed once the Sync relationship has been set up

regards

Andrew
  • For 6 days now when I attempt to create my Garmin Express account

'There was a problem connecting to the Garmin servers
    We are unable to sign you in because our servers are unavailable at this time'

I'm sure it's great when it's working, but it won't let me in.

Anyone else managed to sign up in the past few days?
    It could be really busy as everyone on Strava is trying to do the same thing.
  • edited June 2015
    I've had no problems over the last few days setting up my new Edge 1000 and setting Holly up with a new account and my old Edge 800.

that said there is a Garmin Connect status page available here and right now most of their services are showing as down...

Probably worth coming back to it in an hour or two