Welcome to the forum

Eroica Britannia 2015

edited June 2015 in Members only
Wow, another special weekend at the Eroica despite the cool showery weather. We were there with the Foulkes's and Lawless's and also met up with the Clarkes and Dave Langlands from the Clarion. Also saw the chap from the Wednesdays ride, whose name escapes me, with some newly purchased wheels.

Martin, Gina, Sarah, Alfie, Lindsey and Archie all rode the 30 miler, Iain went for the full 100 and i did the 55. About a third of the route is off road on railway tracks and bridleways but all 3 routes are stunning and challenging. I rode fixed (66") which made for some tough hills but the trickiest part was coming down steep, gravely off road descents on a super short wheelbase fixed with loads of toe overlap and unable to get out of the toestraps…"interesting" ! A great ride though and topped off at the Chatsworth house feed stop having English sparkling wine, potted meat sandwiches and chatting about bikes with Malcolm Elliot.

This event really isn't like any other sportive. Theres no timing just cards and stamps, there was a 20 piece choir in an old railway tunnel, a full brass band at the feed stop in Hartington and such a lovely vibe, with everyone being nice! The whole ethos of the ride can be summed up by the official "winner" not being the first back (which incidentally was Dave Langlands…animal) but the last rider back who got the biggest cheer from the festival crowd.

Much loveliness, although sadly there was so much going on i failed to get many decent photos. I will try and extract some from various phones

My Gate and Langlands Pennine with shimano arabesque group.
null

Hartington food stop
null

Comments

• This sounds brilliant Tim

would love to try it someday. Just need to wait for current bikes to get old enough or buy more which I think is out of the question!!
  • A friend in Australia just sent me a link to his friend's blog who travelled over from Sydney for the Eroica.

Nice write-up about the ride from an outside UK perspective.

I expect we'll go again in 2016. Everyone in the club would love it.

http://www.cycleexif.com/2015-eroica-britannia-sunday
  • great article Martin...I also read the previous one and it included a picture of Tim's bike....obviously an afficianado of special bikes !!