Welcome to the forum

Possibly the most random post ever!

edited June 2015 in General
Here goes......anyone ever had massive pain in their big toes (both) when on long rides?

Tends to happen when it's hot, so bought new, bigger shoes with plenty of room thinking my feet were expanding but this appears not to be the case.

It's not a distance/fatigue thing either because long rides on cooler days are not a problem. Possibly something to do with sweating/salt??

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Funny that Adam has said gout as I was thinking same thing - I was on holiday a couple of years ago in Turkey and person we met was suffering a lot of pain in toes; local doctor said it was down to gout brought on by heat and eating lots of seafood!!
  • It's not going to be gout if it only occurs during long bike rides! Gout isn't that selective. It's more likely to be a biomechanics problem. The feet rotating in slightly, placing more stress on the base of the big toe where most of the pressure is being transmitted. Might be worth trying some insoles in your shoes - something like Scholl orthoheel which can rotate the heel about 5 degrees out. If that helps then it may be worth getting some custom made insoles. As for why it only happens when it's hot ...
  • are you using rigid carbon soled shoes or some with a bit of flex in them stiggers? I am wondering where your loading pressure point is. It should be centre of cleat along centre line from ball joint of big toe. If slightly beyond ball towards toe you will be exerting too much load on toes rather than foot in general. If you add any flex if not rigid carbon soles you will be exacerbating that flex.
    Just a thought. As for heat perhaps it's also dehydration making muscles tend to cramp locally from too much work, but that would tend to affect other muscles more I would think.
  • edited June 2015
    Blimey, thanks guys, I didn't think I'd get any sensible answers! Will have a look at the details and get back to you. The main problem is I do have BIG big toes, so the pressure/loading theory may have something to it.

My next long ride will be Ironman UK, so I'm hoping it's not hot!

Are you a real Doctor Lewis? Or just one in a good bike rider Valentino Rossi stylie?
  • edited June 2015
    she's the real deal Stiggers...ask Andy. size of toe is irrelevant unless your shoes are too tight. Load position is everything.
  • I used to get this problem too, it would be really painful after long hot rides, especially after I knocked my toe on the edge of the bath, ouch! I got a pair of bonts and that solved the issue almost completely with their big toe box.

Having read this thread I'm wondering if my cleats should move back a touch too...
  • edited June 2015
    WARNING: The follow images may cause offence to the easily offended.

I've looked at the cleat position, and if I understand you correctly Geoff, I think my cleats need moving back. I've attempted to show this & the foot position.

Tom, do you mean Bontrager shoes?

IMG_0586[1]
    IMG_0587[1]
    IMG_0590[1]
    IMG_0588[1]
    IMG_0589[1]
    IMG_0591[1]
  • hard to tell from visuals Kevin......Best way. Put shoe on and do up. Feel where the bulge of big toe metatarsal (base joint) pushes against side of shoe. Mark centre with biro. Check this lines centrally with cleat triangle. It looks like you need to move it back but this should confirm it.
    It also looks like your shoe is half size too small. You shouldn't cramp your foot width ways but I'm guessing your feet are long and narrow so shouldn't be a problem. If it is you need a wide fit shoe as well as more space for the toe.
  • Thanks Geoff, I'll try that. The shoes are big enough, I bought a pair half a size bigger as I thought my problem was thermal expansion. Poor photography on my part! You are right though, my feet are long & narrow.