Welcome to the forum

Tue 30 June Chain Gang

edited June 2015 in Chain gangs
Hi guys,

I've sold your Tuesday nights to a bunch of fellow Nomads, so we'll be turning up at the Three Tuns at 1845-1900hrs tomorrow night. Looking at around 4 riders of CAT 3/4 ability.

Looking forward to it.

Comments

• Gents, is it 1900 hrs or 1930 hrs start? Can we clarify here and I'll get back to my guys.

Thanks.
  • 7-30 pm from the Tuns

I'll be there at for a medio group @ 22 -23 mph

Sounds like you should be up for a faster group.
  • Noah and I planning to be there
  • I plan to be there this week for the medio.

Stuart - do you want me to bring the saddle?
  • I'll be there.
  • A_white,

Are Ashwell members welcome on the Nomads Chaingangs? I live in lower Stondon and the Nomads start at the end of my road..Would I need to pay a guest fee similar to the TT you do?
  • Hi, for people looking to join the club we let them ride 5 times to try us out before asking that they join the club.

so if Nomad riders are going to join the chain gang regularly we'd ask that you join up as second claim members, thanks.
  • edited June 2015
    I hope to be there. Steeple Morden church junction as usual. I'll expect the Ashwell group to arrive around 7.35-7.40pm.

25 degrees or so... About time! Probably just 15 degrees less than a weekend sun soaked Alpe d'Huez cliff face.
  • Me hoping too.
  • Chris B,

Anyone is welcome to join the Nomads Chain gangs and you don't have to be a member. The more the merrier - there's no charge on the day much like your Chaingang. We often get guys from Stevenage CC and single riders join us.
    Usually sets off at 1900hrs from The Bird in Hand (pub) roundabout. From Ashwell head towards Shillington/Luton/Barton. Go past RAF Henlow and it's the mini-roundabout just near the camp. It's a 5 mile route, roughly 20 minutes to complete. One lap sticking together then another one or two with possible breaks. A decent standard of riders.

All welcome.

See you all tonight. Stands to be around four of us.
  • Nomads most welcome. Will leave Stef to sort out any logistics but second claim is probably 3 peanuts and 5 mm bolt.
    We will have to take a to be sensible about splitting groups of numbers get too large but that is rarely a problem. Hope to get out if I can sort out logistics at home. Perfect day for a chaingang. Too hot for trains apparently so hope the commuters can make it back.
  • Hope you can make it Vince. As you say, a cracking night.
    Hoping for 2 groups, fast and medio.
  • Not as many out tonight as expected, but enough for 2 groups.
    Couple of Nomads out but not Adam, sorry you couldn't make it.

Medio group of me, Stuart, Noah, Stuart and Tim. Picked up Stef just after Steeple on Lap 1. Tim and Stuart peeled off for Royston at Bassingbourn on lap 2 as planned. Pick up a Mark W towards the end of lap 1 and a Nomad from the fast group on lap 2.
    I got lap 1 @ 22.3 mph and lap 2 @ 21.5 mph
    Tough night for me!

Cheers All
  • Sorry I missed out. Am working nights and couldn't get any time off. Hoping to make it next week but in same situation. Looking forward to attempting to hold on to a fast group. Loving the Chain Gangs though so thank you.
  • Peter,

What time did you set off? Got there just after half past thanks to a broken spoke just coming into the village. Glad the other lads made it.
  • Ended up in the faster group which seemed to form as Robbie pushed the pace out of Ashwell. Some strong riding and I needed to miss a few turns on the second lap. Had 23mph average for the 2 laps - must admit it felt faster than that.

Hopefully see you next week Adam.
  • Set off bang on 7-30. Everyone eager to get cracking. Hopefully next week!

Jeremy - I too thought we were faster than the stats showed. Good to have the Nomads on board to get enough for the fast group
  • edited June 2015
    Maybe four Nomads made to feel very welcome in the front group. An odd first lap varying in numbers, starting off with maybe 7 going up to 9 or so, finishing lap one with 5!

Lap 1 was also probably too full throttle, somewhere 24.5mph to the hill into Steeple. Falling to bits quite a bit at the top for an av. 23.3mph.

Lap 2 regrouped, settled down and we tapped it out 22.9mph. Me, Robbie, Jeremy and Geordie Steve + Nomads.

Lap 3... I freely admit I did just about ten rotations all lap and was happy enough playing last man. It thinned out and ended as a TTT, with Steve doing a monster turn. Dieseltastic. 23.3mph av. Then Steve says did we fancy keeping it going with a pull to Ashwell! Eek. Why not! It came down to just Steve on Col du Huffers. Pop!

A very welcome pint of cold lager with ice at the Tuns. And a good chat with the Nomads. I think it would be great for their racers to chat with ours: it could be good to have alliances. They seem to be doing well membershipwise and I'm hopeful we'll see them again: I think we did the Club well. I mentioned our club night at the Tuns; first-tuesday of every month. In fact: next week, after the Chain gang. All welcome: members or not. And the Nomads mentioned their Cat 3/4 race on the Cople circuit is now open. They're down at MK regularly and elsewhere: so CCA racers, say hello.

So... a lot out combined. Great training for a Tuesday - and glorious in the summer. Forecast next Tues good. Club night on t'verandah?

Nice to see 'one lap' Vince giddy on his new carbon dream machine. Presumably one lap so he could just go home and look at his bike in the back garden?

Cramping up now! Aaah!

• Good to see the chaingang growing. Cheers to the nomads for joining us. Feedback welcome from Hitchin. Do come again. We always struggle to get numbers out for two groups.
    Martin how did you manage to take photos on the chaingang. Crazy paver. I actually had no time to fancy my bike. Far too busy cleaning toilets for guests arriving tomorrow.
  • Thanks everyone. Noah and I enjoyed that