Welcome to the forum

Definitely not a thread about tubs

edited June 2015 in General
for those of you who became unreasonably excited about the tubs thread last year, here's something to mull over.

It's nothing to do with tubs though.

I'm about to head out to Ventoux for a "gig" (ahem). I'll be taking the bike. The question I have is about latex inner tubes. I'm sticking in a set of Zondas (alloy clinchers) and running Veloflex Masters. I have some latex inners I'd love to use, but have heard that they may be liable to puncture in hot conditions with hot rims from braking...

So what do people think? Butyl or Latex?

Comments

• Good quality Butyl. Ive never got on well with Latex and can't really see the point for clinchers
  • edited June 2015
    ''Unreasonably excited'' That's a bit harsh
  • I recently bought some latex for my new wheels on advice from Daniel. They give a super smooth ride but I have had 3 punctures or deflationary incidents in the last 4 rides and have switched back to butyl. I could find nothing piercing the tyre on each occasion. I use clinchers and have done some long fast descents recently requiring a lot of brake feathering. Long descents mean super hot rims and I have also wondered like you Will. Latex also goes down overnight and the tyre needs checking regularly for pressure.
  • edited June 2015
    The only benefit of latex in clinchers are that they tend to suffer less from pinch flats at low pressures. I use them in cross for that reason and I used them for Paris Roubaix for the same reason. They are a bit hit and miss in my experience, they leak air and sometimes will not hold air at all with no sign of a puncture. Unless you're going to be running low pressures, butyl would be better.

Edit - looks like we had the same thoughts at the same time Geoff. Unexplained latex tube failures.
  • Will
    I fitted Bontrager Race xxx lite latex inner tubes with Veloflex Masters when I went to Mallorca. The front one exploded on the first descent at 30 mph which was very exciting the rear lasted another few hundred yards before puncturing.
    If you want two spares you are welcome to them ( you will need them!)
    Back on Butyl no punctures and run equally as smooth on the veloflexes.
    On this basis I would highly recommend latex inner tubes (don't see why I should be the only one to encounter a near death experience!!)

Mark
  • Thanks Mark, always thinking of others I see.

I use the Vittoria latex inners that are quite sturdy compared to lightweight race ones... Never had an issue in races with them (touch wood), like the way they ride. I know that to get them to work well with the veloflex you have to be careful with getting them in and have had blow outs when I've not seated the tyre and tube properly before. Just wondered if anybody knew anything about them blowing due to overheating on descents, that's all.

Thanks for the posts!
  • Daniel warned me to be careful of them pinching when inserting them. I double checked and no pinches. I am certain high speed braking causes problems of excess heating and possible failure Will.
  • Latex should be worn but never ridden! sorry. Couldnt help it.
    Never taken to them myself. Pump and pop every time.
  • Thank you Vince... Latex tubes make me feel safe on the road.

The other question for those who've ridden up Ventoux is:

How stupid am I to be riding a 39-28 as my lowest gear?
  • Have whispered you.
  • Some interesting views on here.

Why use latex tubes in clinchers? Cos it's way faster. Like the difference between using a mid quality tyre compared to a tyre with excellent rolling resistance. Or about the same as going from a training wheel to a ££££ ENVE (in low wind conditions).

Many have problems if using then on narrow width rims. If your external rim width is less than 20mm then it can cause problems with latex tubes. Trouble is with narrow rims we normally use higher pressures which compounds the problem. Narrow rim + 115psi> may well result in lots of problems with latex tubes.

I can't speak for using narrow rims when the brakes will have been used a lot as when I have been in this situation I have been on wider rims and running much lower pressures.
  • Will, Iain who is currently riding in the Alps on a 42/ 26 reckons your an idiot for thinking ventoux on a 39 is a good idea. Iain has sore knees but the consensus here including Martin who rode all 3 routes up ventoux in a day on a 39 is that you will be fine on 39/28.
  • edited July 2015
    Good luck with that then everyone.....I've got a 10 speed block 12-30 with a triple front 53-42-30......I fully intend spinning my way up Ventoux but then I will have done 4 previous days of 130 mile+ before that day.
    Some of the lads are on 34-28 compac gearing but you younger fitter and lighter lads will probably laugh it off. Good luck whatever gear you ride in and have fun.
  • Justin...My rims weren't narrow but the heat was excessive....The descents off Buttertubs and the previous one totalled some 6 miles and they are both cat 2 climbs. The road surface was such that brakes were essential. I think long descents at speed exacerbate the latex tube problem
  • edited July 2015
    Maybe all latex tubes are not the same...? Haven't got on with Michelin or Bontrager ...

But I have used Vredestein latex tubes with Veloflex master tyres for quite a few years..this combination is the next best thing to Veloflex tubs..ridden Alps,Pyrenees,Dolomites etc in all temperatures and high speeds and have not had problems BUT ensuring the tube is not snagged in any way is imperative plus I only put in 95/100 psi..
    Also I weigh about 70 kgs..don't know if this makes a difference...superior ride and handling IMO..

had a butyl rear explode whilst descending Alp D'Huez once and can say was terrifying..I was riding on the rim in a nano second! ...personally latex every time,whether wearing it or riding on it!
    ..The downsides are the extra care required when fitting and needing to pump them up for every ride..

39x28 good but save as emergency gear!
  • "39x28 good but save as emergency gear!"

:-) hahaha macho.
  • FDFD
    edited July 2015
    Will

I rode up Ventoux from Bedoin (the classic route the TdF usually takes) 2 years ago and it was 39C at the bottom. My first big climb. Through the steep wooded section I soon engaged the granny gear of 34x29 and could have done with another lower! But then, I'm closer to 100kg.....
  • Just ridden Ventoux with Vittoria clinchers and scrupulously fitted latex inner tubes. The descent into Malaucene is a joy, especially as it has been recently resurfaced. Climb from Bedoin drags on. Sumitted at 20:30, which was a good time. Beers in the water fountain after Chalet Reynard
  • I recommend you make sure your clinchers are in very good condition or brand new. If they have a slash in them a latex tube will haemorrhage out more readily than a butyl. However the theory goes that you are less likely to get tyre damages once fitted. This matches my experience.