Welcome to the forum

8am Saturdsy 4 July- non Marmotters ride

edited June 2015 in Club runs
Back on the 8am... it's gonna be warm (but not 37 like the Alps!)

Comments

• Will be out. Thinking we have 120+mile days on Paris Nice so how about a long one? Three cafes route?
  • I've got a 135 mile route out to Rutland Water and back. Quite fast. Two cafe stops in Oundle at 45 and 95 miles...
  • Sounds good. Robbie you up for that?
  • Team -interested in joining for part of this ride.....135 miles beyond me at present.....perhaps I'll come to the 45 mile caf
  • Sounds good Shaun!
  • Fast B roads to Oundle via St. Ives and Sawtry. A lap around Rutland Water, some of it on the lakeside bike path. Some lumps after Oakham. Fast again after 2nd stop at Oundle. 137 good miles!

Route:
    http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/810406

See you Saturday
  • I'll be there hanging on for grim life
  • Mrs D is away on a jolly this week so I am struggling with the idea of a turbo or rollers in the garden...

Back in play from Monday :)
  • Will attempt to hang on to Oundle, have some brunch, then limp back to Ashwell......following this route:

https://connect.garmin.com/course/10085717

.....unless I have second thoughts tonight!
  • Let's not smash it... work together and enjoy it. Team play eh.
  • edited July 2015
    John, In 8 weeks time we'll need to do roughly this distance (in harder terrain than tomorrow) and then recover enough to it again the next day... and the next day... and the next day... and then Ventoux... and then the next day.

It will be worth you testing where you currently stand. You might be pleasantly surprised or realise you need to continue training hard. You'll know either way, if you come along for the full ride...
  • PS It's going to be a great ride. I might even throw in ice creams at Rutland Water :)
  • edited July 2015
    I have a guest joining us for the ride (Alastair). A friend of mine and Andy R's from work. He's a good bloke and should be up for helping with some of the pulling on the front.

Agree with Robbie that we should ride together and enjoy. We all need to get our bottoms used to sitting on the saddle for 130miles!
  • Thanks for the encouragement team!

Will see how I go to Oundle. I haven't ridden a century for 2 years and the low carb lifestyle I've adopted over the last 4 weeks has been a concerted attempt to lose weight (11kilos down so far) but sacrificed some strength...now building up again while slowing down the weight loss....80 miles hilly last Saturday, short ride Sunday, 60 miles Tuesday, 30 miles hilly last night....90 will still be the longest I've ridden this year.....and it's 9 weeks to go, not 8....might make all the difference! New carbon hoops on my bike....not very comfortable!

See you in the morning.
  • I cannot make tomorrow and am gutted. Just a short early for me. Getting worried about the long distances we need to be able to do. Very worried.
  • You are not alone John or Vincent. See the blog on the Paris Nice training rides and talk it through there. You need to come up here and do some long ascents. I have some 9 and 13 mile climbs which whilst not too steep will acclimatise you for day after day efforts. Hills down there are too short.
  • Now that was a Shaun super special! Great ride chaps...
    135m up to Rutland and back is a good effort! In the legs now.
    And ready for next week!
  • Perfect day for riding the bike. 7 out for one of Shaun's epic routes. I had a tad over 140miles at about 17mph. Managed to keep everyone together until about 15miles to go.

Some strong riding today from everyone in the group.
  • FDFD
    edited July 2015
    Shaun super special epic indeed!

Thanks for organising and for the company everyone on a fantastic day to be out on the bike. Av temp was over 80F!
    Especially enjoyed the through and off session at over 25mph on the road towards St Ives.

Special thanks to Nathan for nursing me those last 8 miles to Gt Barford, where I was collected by the Flying Dutchwoman's broom wagon. Thanks big man I owe you for looking out for me and hope you got back OK.

After the 3rd and final emergency 'comfort break' within 5 miles, I thought discretion was the better part of valour...the mind and legs were willing but my stomach wasn't! Felt much better after downing almost 1.5 litres of fluid at Gt Barford post office. Dehydration, too much sun, mild exhaustion, too many sugary gels & drinks?

Lessons learned from today:
    -distance not a problem, but still need additional work on stamina - 9 weeks left!
    -go easy on the gels, especially after having virtually no carbs for a month
    -drink more fluids when it's hot, preferably water rather than coke
    -keep going at my own pace on the hills and don't red zone too much
    -trust in your team mates, they'll get you home!

125 miles for me - first 49 @ 19.5mph and second 76 @ 16.2mph - my longest ride this year by 48 miles!
    Celebrated with just a single pint of Oakham Citra - seeing as how that's the brewery close to Rutland Water!
  • John, you did well (as I knew you would). Long distance cycling (100+) is less about the distance and more about being comfortable on the bike (to avoid aches and pains) and finding a refuelling regime that works for you. With more practice, the easier it becomes.

Good riding from everyone else too! I thought it was a great ride! I enjoyed the roads north of Oundle, very good surfaces and no traffic. It was also good to get my first 'long ride' for a long while in the legs.

More of the same soon...(hopefully with a quieter BB)
  • Thanks Shaun

Thought yesterday was very encouraging and a good measure of where I am and need to get to before September.

Will try more solids as refuelling from now on and more water.

Remarkably few aches and pains during the ride or this morning!

Always good to explore new roads as well: lovely lanes around Oundle and Rutland.

Now need to lose a few more pounds to help with that hill-climbing....

See you all soon