Welcome to the forum

Six Day at Lee Valley VeloPark 18th-23rd October

edited July 2015 in General
For the first time since 1980, Six Day racing is returning to the place of it’s birth: London. From 18th – 23rd October the World’s best riders will compete in the Velodrome at Lee Valley VeloPark against a backdrop of electric entertainment.

Who's interested in getting a CCA posse together to enjoy this historic event?

Thursday or Friday night look best to me - track centre tickets are £127 including complimentary bar and "hearty" snacks.

Many less expensive tickets are available in standard seatjng - starting from £26 adults / £16 juniors

Link to the event page here sixday.com

Comments

• Got to really....Thursday or Friday should be good with me.
  • Am looking into a possible Friday night.

Meanwhile... am also thinking about Gent six-day on Fri 20 and Sat 21 Nov. Particularly after Bradley Wiggins said this.

Gent tickets are selling fast though. Not many left for Fri/Sat nights and best blocks full. If I go to Gent - it's either Eurostar or riding it like 2012.
  • I would be up for this.
    Lea Valley or Gent or both.
  • Hope you all enjoy tonight at the six day. From what i gather the racing has been very good the only negative i have heard is that you cant hear the commentry but then that was never a problem at Gent!

Gutted i cant make it.
  • Yep, It's been a good watch on TV, and getting more lively as the week's gone on. Should be cracking tonight.
  • edited October 2015
    I too have enjoyed the six day racing on Eurosport. They are also showing the Revolution event from Manchester tomorrow night and have been showing highlights of cyclo cross.

Good to see cycling on the box all year round - marvellous.

JP
  • edited October 2015
    Loved it so much...
    but the best was seeing Gina Lawless pull Cav!
  • Great night on Friday. I shall write a few words once I've sobered up. Suffice to say: we should all go in 2016. Club night out. I told Cav we'd do as much - so we are sort of obliged...

Just off on a night ride to sweat out the last of the Heineken first.
  • Definitely give this a go next year. And push the boat out to get the 'Madison' tickets for the middle... free food - great snacks, free drink and if you're lucky - a chance to mingle with the riders and cycling celebs...

It's not like Gent 6 Days. It's got a corporate vibe - unlike Gent's rawness - which is great in a different dirty hot dog in the dust kinda way. But it's very celebratory, and the riding stars are just as top drawer. You can get right up to the riders as they come off the track. Iljo.. Kenny... The Rotherham brothers - the bulls from Bolton - all up close and personal. Brilliant.

This video captures the essence of Friday - the last day - and all sold-out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBBRyuVBx24

You can briefly see the back of me n' the wife's head at the podium.

We entered the middle and saw Cav chatting to some bloke. We thought this was our chance and so went up to him and had a nice chat about the event. I also pushed him on Gent next year and he said he'd definitely be riding and 'I'd ride it every year if I could'. He seemed pretty genuine about this. So I'm pretty committed to Fri + Sat in Gent in Nov 2016. It'd be nice to have a few go over. Something to chat about over the next few club nights...

It's quite amazing how accessible the top stars in this sport are. A reminder that cycling is still a minority sport. And in many ways: let that continue.

We arrived a bit late as we were incapable of reading the invite and missed the derny racing. Ah well. Next time. Maybe with Richard M riding eh? But it doesn't matter. Besides, watching racing in the middle is next to impossible. Andrew & Judith, Stef n' Jane had created a base in one good corner though and it was great to be so close to the action. Closer was the podium, DJ and dancing riders. There was a real party atmosphere and it was nicely silly.

Watching on TV during the week, we'd started to support Californian showman supreme Nate Koch in the sprints. So, as the beer built confidence, it wasn't long until we were shouting for him to get off his rollers pre-race and come and chat with us. Again, a nice bloke. West Coast charming and delighted to be racing. He's doing all of the 6 Days I think. We said we'd see him in Berlin. He said he'd look out for us - with his big Cali smile and thighs like tree trunks. Then he walked off and straight on to his bike to race!

I introduced myself to TV's Matt Stephens the only way I could think of, with 'you used to race against my mate Tim Duckett...'. Cue blank face - but that's all I needed and and we talked about Kenny Van Vlaminck, Team Germaloid-Schleppers and the next generation of cycling commentating.

The racing was very entertaining and the Brit lads did well. The noise was deafening when things were getting close.

I'd made Team Lawless-Rugovac t-shirts beforehand and was keen to give one each to the two guys firmly in 18th place at the end but putting in such a brave performance. Only one way to do this was right at the end. Luckily, we got through security using the spirit of Luke D's TdF exploits bravado and found ourselves right among the rider booths. Introduced ourselves to Denis Rugovac in my stumbling Czech and had a chat which was a really humbling story - the opposite of Cav - a largely unknown rider desperate to make a name for himself, trying to get noticed. Very touching. Then Chris Lawless popped up and he was equally polite and candid about his future hopes. All the while packing up his stuff. I presented him with the t shirts and we wandered off, wished him well, stopping in the Morkov brothers booth to bag Jesper's bidon as souvenir. Then Denis finds us, and apologises for his 'bad manners' and takes his rider shirt off to give to us as thanks for our t-shirt gift! What a gesture and brilliant souvenir. Soaked in sweat, regardless, the wife put it on and we said thanks and walked out ten feet tall. People pointing and wondering how we'd snagged this prize. Bumped into Chris again in the car park and got a photo. He drove off with a beep-beep.

Back into central London for champagne bar lunacy and telling everyone about our stories whether they were interested or not.

Do London 6 days in 2016. Do Gent too. Do them both. See you there!
  • edited October 2015
    null

null

null

null

null

null

null
  • great write-up Martin...
  • Epilogue...

A parcel arrived today. I vaguely recall talking to someone from UNICEF late on Friday and extolling the virtues of cycling. She agreed and said all the cycling sportive sponsorships are proving a big hit with their fundraising. She said she would send me something I'd like... and 2 UNICEF cycling jerseys have turned up. Nice!

Too big for me. They are unisex Large. Look nice and have a positive message front and back. I will bring them to Tuesday's film night.Free to whoever wants them.

null