Welcome to the forum

Tour of the Cornfields 2015 Club Classic - Sat 22 August

edited July 2015 in General
Hi all,

Due to popular demand, I will run a club version of the Tour of the Cornfields on Saturday 22 August. This will be in addition to the return of the open edition.

I will probably do a route going the opposite way. 55 ish miles. Suitable for Cyclo-Cross and Mountain bikes.

We might even be able to persuade Martin to do some badges for us.

Mark.

Comments

• Mark
    May be not for this forum but there are plans being drafted for three large solar farms that I think will change the tour of the cornfields into the tour of the solar fields around gulden Morden, wrestlingworth and the farm north of tadlow.
    I think it would help to review these with the club as I fear they may impact on the setting and views from the roads and bridleways locally and the cumulative effect of these will affect the quality of the countryside we cycle through and live in. These won't effect us this year but could be in place next year unless we express our concerns and demonstrate how we use the area. Just a thought but if timing allows do you think it would help to put up a board at the official event with a petition to be signed by riders if they choose? If so I could organise something but won't be there on the official ride as I will be away. But there is an action group locally who would happily person a desk?
    I can show you the fields in question at the Thursday track sessions.
  • Each to their own

I find it inspiring to cycle past solar farms and wind farms; like all other forms of land use they won't be there for ever but as a species we are making baby steps towards finding cleaner and more sustainable ways of generating power and I welcome it.

In any case agricultural monoculture (cornfields) have only been around for a relatively short time in the scheme of things
  • contentious ground Vincent. Like politics and religion planning issues shouldn't be on the forum.
    Stick it on facebook and twitter. As to spoiling your view whilst cycling it's a matter of personal choice as Andrew points out.
  • I'll sign your petition, Vince

Agree that if the proposed solar farms go ahead it'll have a negative impact on my experience of the area that I cycle in - so surely this is relevant to CCA?
  • Im with Geoff here. There are plenty of people within CCA who would be pro these solar developments and plenty against. Its a fascinating debate for sure and good topic for whiling away the club run miles but probably not for the forum.

Back to the thread...thanks Mark its a great idea especially as i wont be doing the September one so i will endeavour to do this one, will put it on the calendar but being summer hols not quite sure of my plans for the 22nd
  • No can do I'm doing a Tricycle Association (Eastern) ride
  • Hi all,

Thanks to Martin's kind efforts, badges will be available for this ride.

Anyone coming?

Mark.
  • Sadly this date is not good for me Mark.
  • hi mark - frustratingly i am away that weekend
  • Same same - I think a bunch of us are at Geoff's that weelend.
  • Here's the badge design for every finisher of this brilliant CCA Classic. Have a great ride!

null
  • It's obviously designed to rotate. Disc wheel perhaps?
  • Mark, I am also away the week of the Cornfields but will try to get back if I can juggle it. Juggling holidays and a project in Wales contrived against me this August.
  • edited August 2015
    That's a fantastic badge Martin. I might just keep them all for myself!

Sorry it has to be that day due to work commitments.

4 so far,
    Mark and Stevie
    Pete G
    Tim D.
  • Mark, I'll be there, with plenty of inner tubes... :)
  • Mark... Your crop circles are done. Will get them to you somehow soon as away on hols from Saturday.

null

Have a brilliantly bumpy ride!
  • Yeaay - just realised I'm not going on holiday till 23rd so I can make this one

Looking forward to it..

Andrew
  • Time to fit your Landcruisers.

No shops on the route so I will create a forward depot of water and cake at Hatley Village Hall on the way in the morning.

Mark and Stevie
    Pete G
    Tim D
    Richard L
    Andrew R
    Daniel D

Martin has kindly sent me the badges and they are well worth the effort!
  • edited August 2015
    Hi Mark

Would MTB or Cross bike be best for your proposed route?
  • Andrew,

Definitely CX bike, there's nothing technical and 50% road.

Mark.
  • Where and when do we meet up Mark?
  • That's a good point Daniel, forgot the vital information.

Lets go for 9am at the Tuns.
  • Excellent ride and no puntures! Thanks Mark for setting the route & Stevie for half way food/drink, I really enjoyed today.
  • Thanks Mark and Stevie, lovely ride. Enjoyed the "Teacake"
  • What a great ride. Very hot; but I shouldn't complain about good weather. Many thanks to Mark for an excellent route and to Mark and Stevie for organising the midway food and water.