• Noah and I should be there
  • If I'm around I'll come
  • Me too
  • edited July 2015
    Depends on work but will try and get to the Tuns for 7.30pm

Stuart - Chain Gang3?
  • I'm planning to be there.
  • Can';t make it. gutted. Sp I'm going out for a ride now
  • What's the start time, please? (Can't remember if 7:30 is for lap1 or lap 2)
  • Jane - 1930 at the Tuns. I am bringing my wife, Lillie too for her first time.
  • Nice one everyone - Thanks. I got about 22 which given the wrong turn on lap 1 and the sprint and sit up after the village sign on lap 2 was not bad.
  • Good fun as always. Lillie enjoyed herself. She was quite nervous beforehand as lacks group riding experience but is very strong on the bike.

As a side note... To the longer serving Chain Gang regulars, what is the final sprint etiquette? Allowed or not?
  • I reckon the Club's guidelines on sprinting for Club Runs make good sense for chain gangs too.
  • edited July 2015
    Communication could have been better last night - disappointing to lose the front half of the team as we entered Litlington!

IMO chaingang is about getting the whole team round as efficiently as possible. That means we need to ride better as a group - be more aware, communicate better and learn to produce a consistent power output. Headwind and/or inclines mean speed will drop, but that's ok. Technique is everything

So for me in these sessions, learning to work together is more important than logging a high average speed or sprinting into the village
  • It was unfortunate to have a brief separation in Litlington but Lil and the two immediately behind her were unfamiliar with the route as I'm sure we all were on our first Chaingang.

I completely agree that a Chaingang is about a constant power output rather than a constant speed, however the power output is going to be high. Personally, I didn't feel last night was as "Surgey" as previous outings but yes, initially the first lap was a little messy. In my mind, it would be nigh on impossible to get it right from the off if people are unfamiliar with each other and at least one person yesterday had never ridden in Chaingang before as was explained at the start.

For me, the final sprint is a bit of fun, if people are in agreement that it's acceptable. I wasn't sure, but others went and I followed suit.

I had a blast as usual. The thrill of riding as an efficient group can't be beaten for me. And it was a cracking sunset on the way back to the pub.
  • I think I remember reading an agreement to make the sprint to village sign and not the telephone box for safety reasons.

Obviously this should only be on the last lap otherwise it breaks the group which defeats the purpose of the gang.

We definitely should moderate the speed on the first lap hill to make sure we stay together whether it is a fast or medio group.
  • Yes, thanks Stuart, if you want a sprint then please do it for the Steeple sign at the crossroads and not the phone box.

We have had some awful, all across the road bunch gallops up the high street which isnt very clever.