Welcome to the forum

Saturday 25th July 9.30am 'way past sunrise' club ride

edited July 2015 in Club runs
For those of us who like the sun to be slightly further away from the horizon than MartinL, how about we have another crack
at the Haynes/Ampthill/Stewartby ride we tried out for the first time a month or so ago:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/727420041

Ashwell-Haynes-Maulden-Ampthill-Stewartby-Southhill-Ashwell

Will try to improve on last weeks 2 out of 10 navigation :)

See you in the morning - could be mudguards weather.........

Comments

• I'll be there. Slightly concerned that two of the place names in that list include the word 'hill'. All good training for Ride London...or should I have started tapering by now?!
  • edited July 2015
    Sixteen of us out this morning for a breezy but sunny club ride. As is now standard we set off at a brisk pace, heading into the wind and west towards Ampthill. Nice bit of rotation to share the work on the front and an enjoyable schwoosh down the fast road from Milbrook to Stewartby.

Mid ride stop was greeted by maybe a first for an club ride, with an ice cream van joining in the layby we had stopped in. Wasn't quite warm enough for anybody to partake of his wares though (sorry Toni) although we might have been tempted if he had put his music on :)

Post Stewartby we picked up a nice tailwind and added a slight deviation to the route to come back through old warden/langford & managed to go up Langford hill quicker than we went down it. Finished off with a final sprint through Hinxworth where Nat just piped me on the line (by about 20 yards !!)

Thanks all for a great morning, really enjoyed that. Good to see some new faces out on the ride too. Stats were 50 miles @ a shade over 17.
  • Second on the sprint, is that a first? Anyway, a moral victory to you I think!
    Sorry, I couldn't join,spending too much time in Abergavenny!
    Maybe next week?
  • Yes an excellent ride today David, I really enjoyed that, thanks again for your expert navigation.

Also I expect many of us actually rode more miles today than they did in the Tour, although admittedly on slightly flatter roads!
  • Great ride, thanks. Pace was great and long hills made it challenging. Felt like I was struggling a little before the stop, but after a refuel I felt as though I was flying!

Hope you enjoyed the sprint to Ashwell. I have been welcomed so nicely into the club and met some awesome people! See you all soon :)
  • Brilliant ride today, highlights were David's courageous attempt at the sprint, and flying home with the wind behind. Excellent point Tim...I finished the day on 81miles, 15 more than Froome et al? Simon- I hope you're not too bruised.
  • Courageous but ultimately doomed :)