Welcome to the forum

Ashwell Garage, club meeting area.

edited November 2009 in General
I have just spoken to Lee the owner of Ashwell Garage. He is fencing off and gateing the garage forecourt area. This is not an anti bike club move but because movement of cars and people on the forecourt area are setting off his alarms which are very necessary due to all the breakins he suffers.
We now need somewhere ealse to meet, any suggestions? I can offer my concrete pads but they get used during the year so we would have to be flexible, for instance they should be filled with Sugar Beet by next weekend. Also I know some of you dont like riding along Northfield road, something to do with mud on the road, not sure what that is about!!??!!
Village rec? Ashwell surgery (who knows any of the doctors)? Ashwell school?

Comments

• 3 Tuns car park? i bet that new land lord would welcome us as he's already made it clear that he'll accomodate us after rides etc...
  • I think the Three Tuns is a good idea, it's central and has a car park etc.

However the reason we had to move from Geoff's was that we were and are a victim of our own success. We do now make quite a bit of noise and there are a lot of us. Whilst the Three Tuns might be happy the neighbours might think otherwise!

I think the surgery is probably the best bet as it's a distance from anybody else. Does anybody know any of them to ask?
    Obviously this is up for discussion are there any other possible locations?
  • Agree that i think we are too noisy for the Three Tuns. Dont know any of the doctors but that would be a good spot. Only other spot i can think of is the rec. but will be a bit muddy and a bit tight around the entrance
  • I can ask Martin and see how they feel about it.
  • How about the parking area to the cemetery, next to the garage,small I know but can park a few cars and is tarmaced.
  • Cemetery would be a good place. It could be used as a meeting point any time, where as the surgery could only be used for Sundays and then only if it was ok with them.
  • o.k......probably need to clear it with the P.C. would be embarrasing if a funeral turned up so to speak!!!!!!!!
  • We only use the garage on Sundays, as far as I'm aware, therefore the surgery should be OK.

I'd have thought that the cemetery car park was too small but I'm prepared to be knocked!
  • My wife is a GP in Hitchin and knows the Ashwell doctors - I can ask her to get in touch with them about it if you want. Let me know if that would be useful: chris.belcher@mills-reeve.com
    Chris
  • edited November 2009
    thanks Chris..........I am well aquainted with 3, so that's not the problem.......The club needs to make up its collective mind on the location first before bothering the doctors or nthe Parish Council, that's all......SAM...what is the deadline?....how long do we have??

for my part the Doctor's surgery has the most going for it,.......don't think we should rule out the three tuns either
  • The deadline has passed, chain is up already.

Not in favour of pub car parks, not fair on the pubs to have non clients cars parked there. Also noise in the morning as already mentioned.

Cemetery would work if cars were parked elsewhere and could then be used anytime, Sat rides, Nasty boy Sat rides etc, where as the surgery could only ever be a Sunday meeting area.
  • not been that way recently so O.K. Cemetry it is.suggest we just meet there for now and see if anyone objects. Cyclists can park elsewhere sensibly and cycle the short distance anyway, so no problem really, and you are right Sam about anytime meeting......
  • Geoff,

In your last but one comment you state 'The club needs to make up its collective mind on the location first before bothering the doctors or nthe Parish Council', then you appear to have made a unilateral decision.

I realise the urgency for a short term solution but mid to long term location should be decided by the members/committee. I still feel that the cemetry is inadequate for large Sunday morning gatherings and other rides meet elsewhere or are sufficiently small to use the cemetry. This does need a broad based discussion.
  • not made up mind Richard...but going with the flow as events have made a decision for us it seems...........Sam's comments are valid but large meetings at Cemetry could cause concern to those who have people resting under the surface.......I will approach the doctors and see what their reaction is to our use of their car park.........FOR THIS SUNDAY....it would be best to meet at the Cemetry as it is adjacent to the garage and those not on this forum would miss the ride if we met elsewhere...that's all....just seems practical and sensible...no need for your use of unilateral and such emotive terms
  • Spoken to a few people
    All agree will met at CEMETRY this sunday
    Gives a chance to ask about alternatives
    and those not reading the forum will see the group

Please DO NOT park in the cemetry
    We do not want to block this all Sunday morning
    find a suitable location in the village etc
    ( another 400 yards on the 40 miles should not hurt too much )

Thanks for your support

James
    Chairman