Welcome to the forum

Middle group ride - Sunday 22nd Nov

edited November 2009 in Club runs
Given the brutality of the weekend weather forecast, here is a suggested scenic, bumpy 63 mile route that avoids facing the South West too much, as well as presenting lots of options to break back for Ashwell at Anstey, Buntingford and Cromer if some spirits get low! With a clear run, we would be getting back before 1pm.
http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/ashwell/297125862292238801

By the way - I think the Ashwell Surgery is a great start point for future Sundays, if it can be done.

See you at the Garage

Comments

• Seeing Sam's note - will instead see you at the adjacent cemetery car park then...
  • Hi I was wondering if anyone will have CRB clearence in order for me to attend?
  • Hi Stevo - I've got CRB clearance if you fancy the middle group ride.
  • Ok that's great,where are you meeting up?
  • All rides are meeting tomorrow at the cemetery car park next to the Ashwell Garage, 9am;
    http://tiny.cc/cemeterycca
    Fingers crossed for goodish conditions.
  • edited November 2009
    The ride equivalent of that Charlie Brown wobbly line face. A tale of multiple [7-8?] punctures, one shredded tyre patched up with a Mule Bar wrapper. And stinging, horizontal rain n' wind. The 15 out whittled down in time and we all agreed to break back from Anstey. 48 miles and meaningless av speed. On the up side [and there is always one]: good bulldog spirit, laughter and teamwork - and most importantly, all back safe I'm fairly certain: Tim you get that puncture OK? Was there someone else with a flat near the end too?
  • Hi, just like to say a big thank you to Mark for coming back in his car to see if i was okay,i was just about to start fixing my second puncture,Mark put the bike in the back of the car and kindly gave me a lift back to the garage. Once again thanks very much.
  • i agree a big thanks to all who helped with my blow out including the wrapper! @ the spare tube i will bring it back next week.
    67 miles in all, could not bring myself to look at ave mph but inspite of the problems still a good solid ride.
    see you all soon
    strappy.
  • i carelessly let myself get a front puncture at the left turn to reed - where you all left me! don't blame you-i wouldn't of waited for me either!! - record time to change; less than 2 mins!! but as you weren't there you will have to take my word for it!! sun came out as i was freewheeling down the long hill from therfield which made up for the earlier rain - as always, a good ride.
  • Yea a good ride, thoroughly enjoyed it and a huge thank you to, I think, Ash or Alex from Hitchin who came back and stayed with me until I knew where I was (not bonked just lost). Hope everyone else got back ok. Not there next week but hopefully the week after.
  • Streuth, was like a Belgian early season classic. Think we ought to change Martins name to Martin Van Der Lawless with that choice of route!

Many thanks to Tim H for leaving me with a tube. After my second puncture at Barkway golf course i wasnt wanting to try to put a patch on in that weather. would have been like trying to wrap christmas presents in the bath!

Anyway got home ok, dropped into Royston via Barley.

DeepJoy.
  • aye. Anyone know any cobbled roads around Essex? Do they serve Leffe Blond in Rickling? Is a branch of Schkelders Bar opening in Anstey?

Will put that ride in a nice shoebox on the top of the wardrobe marked, do not open til Spring.

Glad to hear everyone got back ok.
  • wow!!!!!!!!!..looks like Max and I were the lucky ones.....neither of us were feeling like a ride it seemed...most likely the 3 hrs on the track took its toll......we turned for home and I cycled with Max to Stotfold where we had a coffee and a slice of home-made carrot cake..yummy.....cycled back to Ashwell wind assisted and arrived just before the first deluge.....was thinking of you all out there on that classic.....must be a record for punctures...some ride guys.......see you all next Sunday for another.
  • if its any consolation i saw more groups of riders today stopped by the side of the road fixing punctures than ever before, and i didnt see you lot either! The only group i saw in motion where some wily old tourists with sturdy tyres and mudguards. Probably running Michelin run flats.
  • sounds like a proper epic!! I got caught out in a deluge out near alconbury and fought my way back home into the wind and rain. Thankfully puncture free though, those hills above Ashwell are puncture city in the wet....