Welcome to the forum

Rapha Supercross at Kings Cross!!

edited September 2015 in Cyclocross/Offroad
This is a bit of a crazy one, but round 3 of Raphas super cross series is at Kings Cross, somewhere around Granary square just outside the station. Lots of stone steps, fountains, slippery canal tow paths that sort of thing i guess. Theres pop up Rapha stuff and Belgian beer, frites etc.

Theres racing for all the usual categories including the kids and a fun race…dress up in a gorilla outfit, race through foam pits and tequila shortcuts, that sort of thing.
I think theres a pro/elite race to watch too.

Ive entered the 45+ race and might do the fun race if i can find my gorilla outfit or maybe a stoker for the tandem! i think Alfie will probably ride too.

Anyway, sounds like a top day out to me and unlike most cross races you can go on the train!

Only slight annoyance is that you have to join LCCA and mess about with RiderHQ to enter.Supercross, 14th Nov.

Comments

• edited September 2015
    I've entered this madness too. Not sure I need the gorilla outfit!

I note there is no camping for round 3, unlike the earlier races.

Daniel
  • Nice one Daniel, shame about the camping! I also found this….

RE: Super Cross Kings Cross, the course is quite narrow in places which has meant we have had to restrict the maximum number of riders per race for safety.

So the categories are split to break down the men into multiple separate and shorter races, plus there will be a women-only race. And a night time fun race!

It's not going to be a traditional cx race by any means but I guarantee it will be fun and very different to anything London has seen before!

…..Im guessing the max number of riders in a race will be around 30 or 40? so this will fill up quick. Also note the Women only race CCA lady cxers!
  • Thats great James. Going to be a hoot!

I also notice there is a Martin Lawless in the 40-45 race. I wonder if thats THE Martin Lawless from that there CCAshwell?
  • Forget that Lawless fella, Glen Campbell's in your category, Tim..... Watch out for those rhinestones, cowboy!
  • Foam and frites! No, not a new late night club in Diksmuide: it's what there'll be plenty of at King's Cross, Sat 14th Nov.

Come on everyone - it'll be a super day out. Watching, eating, drinking - and/or racing. Though the 40-45 age group race now appears full, as does the Fun race.

More details;

The course will feature obstacles designed by first year Central Saint Martin’s architectural student in conjunction with cyclocross experts. As well as the obstacles the students will also help design the course which will not only go through the water fountains in Granary Square, racers will pass through the heart of Central Saint Martins.
    Entry is FREE for spectators and it is only a short walk from King’s Cross train station. There will also be a guest DJ, live commentary and a selection of food vendors and the second home for cross fans a beer tent serving up locally brewed beers.

http://www.riderhq.com/events/68863/rapha-supercross-round-3

• I had a feeling it would be "through the fountain". Rapha waterproof stand at the exit?
  • ....and I've got myself a place in the 45-49ers.....best I get practicing.....
  • Great! good to see you getting back into the cx Phil!
  • Last weekend saw Round 2 of the Rapha Supercross - a taste of what will happen at Round 3 at King's Cross.

And talking taste... It looks like only the riders will get shots of Tequila - so get involved and sign up! Check it out.
  • Sadly I can no longer do this race - I have family commitments I need to prioritise. Good luck to all who do manage it.
  • edited November 2015
    Heres a map of the route. Im not sure what goes on inside the bulding and have no idea how we get in, i thought it was all restaurants on the front.
    Lots of talk about tyre choice amongst those of us riding. File tread seems to be favourite but as i havent got any ill stick with my intermediates even though theres no
    mud or grass. I think there will be quite a few on road bikes too. And its going to be wet. What could possibly go wrong?
  • So gutted i'm not going to make it down to watch this.

Looks like it's through the archway at the front of the granary building and up and down the enclosed street/lobby...

• Oh right, so thats what it looks like in there. Looks very slippery! Is that the Rapha slip spreading team applying a nice layer of grease in preparation?
  • edited November 2015
    They've just released this image on instagram. It's going to be proper surreal this I think.

null

Spectating? Weather in mind: they say the beer tent is completely covered. And inside the college of course. The 1st floor and footbridge you see above sound like good vantage points: but note have a safety capacity of 200 people.
  • Do you think that door is on automatic opening and closing? im sure there must be a "bike race" setting that opens it a bit quicker that the normal pedestrian setting.

Anyone got a full face bmx helmet?
  • edited November 2015
    Looks interesting although it is a corporate event and unlikely there'll be more than a hint of danger.

Good luck to those that ride. I reckon the smart move is to watch and enjoy a couple of beers and a hot dog.
  • Quite a lot of danger... in fact too much. will report more but too tired now.
  • Well, all a bit of a disaster in the end. Things didnt look good when we got there at10.30 when the racing was supposed to start and the course was still being built.
    They were still putting together obstacles over 2 hours later and the racing didnt start until around 1pm.

I did a few practice laps with Alfie and it was incredibly slippery regardless of tyre and pressure choice especially the transitions from outside to inside. The obstacles seemed to either be pointless or dangerous but i was looking forward to giving it a go.

The under 10 and 12s races were really good with inevitably lots of spills and then came the youth race. They had decided to put the juniors in with the youth which meant Alfie at 12 was in with 18 year olds which was a bit daft but he did brilliantly beating quite a few older riders. The skills that hes learnt from Mark and Jackie clearly paid off as he looked comfortable with only 1 small tumble. I think nearly everyone fell off at some point and the entrance to the inside part claiming lots of riders.

The womens race started ok but then someone got hurt coming down on one of the ramps which had started coming apart. There followed more course alterations and lots of concerned Rapha vest wearing meetings. It was now 4.30 and our race was supposed to be at 1.45 so it was no great surprise when they called the whole thing off saying it was too dangerous with the wet weather.

A real shame as it could have been really good and Alfie loved it, it was his favourite course of the year but the rest of us will never know. A free bar and free Rapha caps and we all came home, a bit of a wasted day.

I suspect Rapha will get some stick as you cant really blame the weather, they tried something new which is commendable but it was poorly thought out really.
  • Nightmare, Tim! And what a shame after such a good build-up. (I don't do CX but even I was getting excited about this one)

It's not like Rapha to mess up so badly and I should think their PR people are in crisis mode already. I can't imagine they'd just bury their heads in the sand and hope people will forget about it. Rapha is better than that, surely
  • Yeah, i guess there is lots of negative stuff online, but at least they tried something different. It didn't work but thats how you learn. I hope they don't give up on the urban cx thing as it could have been great.

They probably could have done with some Doncaster, Quiggin, Field, Wyer, Polak input and then it would have been awesome!
  • Thanks for those kind words Tim.

Its a bit of a shame for all but well done to Alfie.

Presumably a refund at the very least? and a free item of your choice of Rapha kit!!!!!
  • Sorry to hear this was disappointing. Probably with something like this you want to evolve the ideas a bit before going for a big launch. I feel for the organisers; must have been a nightmare.

Hempton (today's Eastern League CX race) was the complete opposite to the Kings Cross experience being HQ'd at a tiny village hall and the mud smelling faintly suspicious.
  • edited November 2015
    Thought you guys would like this

Indoor cyclocross sesh rapha style:

https://youtu.be/BOXY7K1eO-k

also mtb shopping centre enduro ;)

https://youtu.be/HC9vinnnnt8
  • FDFD
    edited November 2015
    This was, frankly, a bit of a shambles, if well-intentioned.

Rapha have held some very successful events in previous years at my old haunt Alexandra Palace, but decided to change for some reason.

My son and I turned up at 2pm, expecting to see the event in full swing, but instead we saw a lot of people streaming away towards Kings X. Lots of stewards standing in the rain, poor unfortunate souls.

We headed inside the college; impressive building, very inspirational, went upstairs to the bridge for a great view, but...nothing! The students were still building the berm that marked the innermost point of the course, but looked as if they were in no rush to finish. Lots of folk standing around looking perplexed.

Obviously a lot of effort had gone in, evidenced by the pink Rapha carpet that had been laid down to reduce slippage and the drums positioned above the berm for the (non-existent) expected crowd to inspire the riders. Shame.

We saw the youth/junior race and witnessed a couple of nasty wipeouts as riders came in from the deluge outside onto slippy concrete/tiles. For some reason the pink carpet didn't extend all the way to the main transition point.

Spoke to a few riders who said they were going home after hanging around for their races. After another hour of inactivity we left our warm vantage point and headed outside. Great atmosphere under the covered area by Waitrose, where the beer tent and stalls had been moved in case they got blown away!

Lots of people willing the event to succeed, had a super pint of beer brewed especially for the event by craft brewers, Canopy Beer: 'how many brews have you made for this event?' - 'just the one, but that's 1,000 pints and I think we'll have a lot left today!'

The triple cooked chips were also excellent, with the company involved even making some Belgian Mayo for the day.

Good to see Dave & Jenny there, last time I saw them was in Nice, after the ride in September.

Things were looking more promising, but then we saw the women's race stopped after another nasty crash on the ramp section. After another long delay we left just before 4pm to get to the velodrome.

So, we were there for 2 hours and saw one race. I'm a cycling nut, so still enjoyed myself, but don't know what new spectators made of it. It wasn't Le Grand Depart or a Tour finish on the Mall!

The Revolution event was far more entertaining, and in the dry, until it finished early due to a spectacular multiple pile up by the boys that gouged the boards, as well as bikes and riders. Repairs meant we finished early. Highlight was meeting 'G' Thomas in the riders pen and having him sign his new book for my birthday. I love the fact that the superstars in our sport remain so accessible to fans, despite the huge rise in popularity in cycling.

Shame about Kings X Cross, but hopefully Rapha will learn from this and have another go (perhaps revert to Ally Pally) next year?
  • This was almost brilliant. Obvs an epic fail in many ways. But they'll get it right next year and will be a great day of racing and festival-like atmosphere.
    We should all pile down and have a Club day out in 2016.

As it was, it was great to cheer on Alfie who rode superbly. Such control, confidence and composure on black ice-like conditions.
    All credit to the lad and to all the Club riding tuition he's had over the years: he needed all his skill on this course.
    What racing there was, was great to watch actually. All the food and drink stalls were great.
    And once they called it a day, they opened up the bar for free and pumped up the music.
    It turned into a right ol' shindig and I ended up dancing with the kids to old skool dance choons, chatting to other clubs and comparing bikes.

It would have been brilliant to have all this while watching the pro race, after having a dig at it meself. Not to be this time. Ah well. See you there 2016.