Welcome to the forum

Easterncross round 6 - Welwyn

edited October 2015 in Cyclocross/Offroad
A slightly depleted regular CCA contingent today due to the National Trophy races tomorrow in Southampton but with a few new riders this year having a go.

The usual tough course at Stanborough park proving as challenging as ever with a couple of sharp climbs each lap and plenty of off camber turns. Fantastic to see Mazie, Louis and Alistair having their first races in the Under 10s and Under 12s, James Davis returning to cross with a solid ride and Mitchy having his first race with a very respectable finish.

Under 10s

Ethan Storti 4
Iestyn Hill 10
Alistair Oppen 11
Gethin Hill 18
Louis Oppen 21

Under 12

Mark Lightfoot 2
Hector Duckett 18
Mazie Ress 30
Evan Foulkes DNF
Joseph Hadsley DNF

Youth

Sam Daniels 26
Archie Foulkes 36
Alfie Duckett 51
Gareth Lewis DNF

Vet 50

Richard Law 15
Pete Daniels 28
Daniel Doncaster 36

Vet 40

David Hadsley 35
Tim Duckett 36
James Davis 40
Mark Wyer 44
Richard Lawrence 65
Michael Parker 68

Senior

Dave Mitchinson 20

Comments

• Really good course. Tough with constant up and downs. Had a great race today and a super tussle with James and Dave. Pleased to have finally got a top half finish.

Nice result Mitchy, how did you find it? looking strong.
  • Found it extremely tough - can now see why everyOne says it improves bike handling skills. I crashed on my warm up - did you notice the mud? - which knocked me a little, but maybe ensured I didn't push and crash in the race! List as long as my arm of things I can work/improve upon. But happy with result, and hopefully it means I get gridded a little higher up in future races? Sure cyclocross will improve my road riding - as long as I stay in one piece!!
  • Stanborough Park is a great blank canvas for cyclocross and Welwyn Wheelers always paint a great course on it. Chapeau to them.

Great to see new and returning riders; James Davis was looking very strong in the youngsters race. Not as strong as Tim Duckett who looked super strong; based on what I saw Dave did very well to get past you.

It is great to have someone in the final race, well done Mitchy. Yes, your gridding improves as you race more (based on your National rank.) It's good to crash and I don't crash enough; by crashing you know where the limits are. Finding the limits is what the warm up is all about. What tyre pressure were you using yesterday?
  • edited October 2015
    imageimage" alt="null" />

...it takes a monumental effort!
  • Daniel - you've made my day. I was promised after riding a cyclocross race I'd be able to join discussion on tyre pressure!! I rode at 40 psi. Not sure if I have the best tyres on as they only have really grippy grip (probably not the technical term) on the outside of the tyre and a bit smoother in the middle (although still much bumpier than a road tyre). Do I need a change before next weekend?
  • Well done all. Everyone we spoke to Southampton who raced this said it was tough.
  • Crikey, i think our old mate John Polak would have something to say about 40 psi. I think i rode about 30, maybe 28.
    Although anything under 30 on clinchers is getting risky with pinch flats.

I would say our course next week is quite a high risk of pinch flats but still you want to be under 40.
  • What a great event and real baptism of fire for anyone after the peeps at Welwyn set up an awesome course. When I did this a couple of years ago it was in the opposite direction so it was a bonus to be able to ride down the gravel bank this time and not have to shoulder the bike and run up it!

Great to have a bit of a race and go wheel to wheel with both your club mates and riders from all over the south east. Tim and Dave were super smooth while I was wrestling my way round and unable to continue our all too brief ding dong on lap 2 - unable to respond when it was required and this is the essence of CX. Next week my friends, next week, or that's the hope and great thing about this game

I think there were 6/7 CCA in the 40-49 race so plenty of interest for the club and hopefully more to come. DD HAS EVEN GOT HIMSELF ON YTUBE https://www.facebook.com/groups/202950576468775/permalink/832336063530220

Thanks to all the peoples who make these things happen.

Role on Princess Helena and the return of the Keen:)
  • Indeed, looking forward to the return of the Keen!

Check this out for start line composure at the front of the u12 grid..

• Cheers Tim - lower than 40 it will be next week!! ps, just watched the video of the course and I'm scared/excited in equal measures!!