Welcome to the forum

Sunday 9am ride

edited November 2015 in General
Nobody else out this morning so did a little loop down to hexton/sundon/sharpenhoe and back up lilley's bottom. A regular route used by the club.

I'm not around a huge amount at the moment as I'm working up north, and was a bit sad that I had nobody to chat to, especially when I passed a 20 strong bunch of Nomads out around Hexton. CCA turning Fairweather? It's okay, the voices in my head kept me entertained.

I was having a little think about the sort of riding the club runs do and would like to suggest doing a differently paced ride on a Sunday morning at 9. Us racers have had enough of smashing it up hills all summer so we slow down a bit in the winter, and it's nice to do base mileage with other club members as opposed to on our own, so I'd like to do a base ride at 9am. This will be something like 4-5 hours of steady effort (zone 2) so we'll go slowly up the hills and into the wind, but carry on pushing down the hills and with a tailwind. For example, the last time I rode this route with the club I found myself pushing well over my threshold power with my eyeballs hanging out just to keep up with the guys on the hills which is not ideal for winter mileage. Today I rode it all in zone 2 and it felt a lot less like a hammering and more like a training ride. The difference in average speed, for those interested in speed, I went 0.3mph faster today on my own at a steady pace than in a group of 15 or so at a hard followed by easy pace. For those interested in power, there was a difference of 10W between my NP and average power on this ride, and the last time I rode it with the club a difference of 80W.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with riding like that, it's just it hurts my little legs and I'm not up for doing that till February, really. So whenever I'm around, I'll be out on a Sunday at 9am for a long steady, as will some of the racers too.

Everybody's welcome, but you will have to abide by a few rules that don't apply to other club runs if you want to ride with us (mainly because I'm a bit of a miserable so and so in the winter).

It's winter, full mudguards on both wheels preferably with a flap please. If you don't have full mudguards with a flap you may be asked to ride at the back for the duration. Nobody likes a face full of road grit and it's dangerous when riding in a close, tidy bunch to have muck flying up into your faces/over your nice shiny oakleys and meticulously polished helmet. Full mudguards are fine for you, but without a flap you're still covering whoever's on your wheel. It's dead easy to attach a bit of old folder, a ruler, a cut up plastic bottle using cable ties to any mudguard, even clip on race-blades.

No half wheeling, if you do this repeatedly you will be probably not so politely asked to go and train on your own.

Finally, don't think that this is a "nasty" ride. As it's steady, there's no racing involved. If you're looking at power, it'll probably be averaging around the 180-220 watts for the ride, that seems to be where most of us are riding at the moment. Average speed will change depending on the route and weather, but probably 17-18mph so not silly fast and if you're not feeling too strong then you can always sit in for the majority of the ride. There will probably be coffee and cake. Mmmmm.

If you're interested in road racing/crit racing/time trials this would be a good chance to learn how to pace properly and also find out a bit about training/racing from some of the guys who are starting to get quite experienced now, with a handful of 2nd cats, and a load of 3rd cats and the occasional flying visit from our esteemed 1st cat looking for base miles. You might even see a few of the TT record holders out as well...

Comments

• Thanks Will, sounds good and eminently sensible. Once the CX season finishes i will try and join for some.
  • Bought my mudguards - just not fitted them. I'm going to enjoy making a flap - I'm thinking Cravendale milk carton. May even be able to ride Sunday, so going to get on it.
  • edited November 2015
    Good sound advice Will... ditto for all Festive Fifties when they kick off on 19 Dec. Riding fixed wheel keeps the ride steady and less hassle cleaning.
  • edited November 2015
    Riding fixed would mean you'd be doing track stands on the hills at the pace we'll be going up them...

I seem to remember getting spat out the back of every festive 50 I rode as soon as we hit a hill! Along with Cam...
  • Just to reiterate that it's about a steady pace, not a steady speed. So it's the effort that stays the same. Riding fixed wouldn't really work as you'd be track standing on the way up and spinning out hugely on the way down the hills. Example: I hit 54mph going down sundon today. That would not be possible on a fixed with a sensible gear and would require the group to wait around a fair bit on every hill, defeats the object of doing a steady ride with a steady continuous effort. Looks like you'll have to be reaching for those gears...
  • (as much as it might seem ridiculous considering how I used to be a prat up hills, back when I could actually ride up them) I've always liked riding at a constant effort when it's cold (winter) because I think it is much better for your legs, if nothing else. Even pushing 10% harder when the group wants to 'push on' on a 1-3% incline I find to be really quite damaging to your muscles because they are at nowhere near a sensible temperature for you to be putting any kind of force through the pedals - I'm convinced it is actually damaging. This sounds like a really good ride
  • not sure I agree with your definition of pace and effort Will. It all depends on your level of fitness. A constant effort means some stress on uphill and an equal stress going downhill. So really fit riders could take it easy uphill at an average 2-5 miles per hour faster than a less fit group. Equally, their downhill would be 45-50+ mph going by this measure.
    I hit nearly 40mph on a 75" fixed going downhill on a wet ride and wouldn't want to do that again
    Effort does not mean pace. I could run an average pace ride at 15 or 17 or 19 mph even up here but I can assure you the effort you would expend would be radically different.
    I can see where you are coming from and I am sure that there are sufficient riders of your calibre to make a good bunch. However there needs to be a less hard pace ride for those who want to ride fixed or simple go slower.
  • edited November 2015
    A constant effort, by definition, means no more or less stress uphill than on the flat... You are riding by perceived effort (or power if you have it), not speed.

So if you're riding at what feels like 15-25% of your total available power on the flat to maintain 17.5mph with the group, when you hit a hill, on this ride, you will find you are still using no more or less power; instead you have lowered your gears and massively scrubbed speed to maintain the constant, steady, sensible power/effort output. Makes a lot of sense will, just need to get mudguards sorted.
  • Ideal Will. I will make this ride whenever possible.

Geoff - the pace at 180-220w will not be unsuitable for most. The idea is a constant effort at a similar level, within a suitable cadence. Of course the level of effort will be more for some than others based on fitness levels, but the nature of the ride will still be constant. Speed and distance shouldn't be looked at, Time and Power will hopefully be used. Those without power meters can benefit from training with those that do. As Will says, it won't be for everyone, but offers a very well structured ride in great company.
  • I will be there this Sunday Will. Be nice to do exactly what I'm doing anyway in a group. 0900 in Ashwell?
  • Hi Geoff, there's also the club ride at 9am on a Sunday...
  • might see you but it depends upon whether or not I have done what I need to this weekend. Lots to sort with Radwell. I suppose constant effort is what I normally ride as I no longer have any wish to race even if I was fit enough. Don't have a power meter Luke and don't intend to at this stage. It likes like a very good technique for training and clearly shows with the way many in CCA are riding and racing. From reading this forum it doesn't look like the 9am steady club ride is thriving but maybe that will change.
  • I wouldn't say many, Geoff. The majority of CCA riders just ride the club runs. To be honest, the only people I've ridden with who can ride at a steady effort are experienced racers and there's only a handful of them in CCA. This ride is mainly for anybody who wants to learn how to pace themselves in the winter whilst thinking of the summer season and find out a bit about training/racing if they're interested. If people aren't riding as they should on this ride they will be told how to ride, that's it. One of the reasons that the club rides aren't often as tidy as they could be is that people don't necessarily know how to ride in a group well. This ride will hopefully give anybody who's interested a bit more of an idea (ie anybody riding badly will be told, it may not be everybody's cup of tea...).
  • The Sunday Club Run is a staple of my cycling; however now that my very sole is fed by cyclocross I totally neglect the Sunday Club Run in favour searching for muddy glory. So, like Tim, when the CX season wanes I will be out on Sundays. Liking the sound of this ride.
  • Hmm I might have to join in - I got beaten up in the wind on my last club run :-(. I've just bought a power meter to do some steady riding this winter, so no excuses...

By a "flap" I guess you're talking a small section of plastic at the bottom of the rear guard? A photo would be a big help!
  • (Whispers) Sounds like ideal triathlon training...
  • edited November 2015
    Interesting thread. I applaud anybody in the club willing to initiate and organise. I'd argue that the existing weekend club runs are quite homogeneous and mostly cater for weekend warriors wanting a group ride with a with a bit of healthy competition on the hills. Riders who want to be as fit as they can all year around. Lots of stop start as riders regroup after the hills. I can see how these rides wouldn't appeal to those wanting structure and discipline.

Will's proposed ride will be a good addition to the weekends and would like to join occasionally. As a died in the wool weekend warrior I promise to behave.

Hopefully you'll post on the forum to keep everyone in the loop.
  • I do like the sound of this ride Will and thanks for the extra info. Like Jeremy says this ride looks to add yet another layer of interesting ride options adding to the mix in a really positive way. Yet another example of CCA's organic development from within. Good luck with this.