Welcome to the forum

Ride the Olympic Velodrome - Saturday 30th January 10-12am

edited January 2016 in General
We have managed to secure another session at the Olympic Velodrome.

2 hour session again on Saturday 30th January from 10-12am depending on numbers interested we'll decide how to run this as a 15 or 30 person session (equating to 2 or 1 hour(s) riding time respectively

This session is open to all CCA members 12 and over, depending on who signs up to come along will determine the type of session we run

Cost should be between £18-£28 per head including coaching. Bike hire is an additional £10 and shoes £6 for the session.

If you would like to ride please sign up HERE,

Please note we will have to pay the full hire charge in advance, so if you sign up you are committing to pay your share as above.

Andrew

Comments

• I'm in. Cheers Andrew!
  • I'm there for at 1pm-3pm SQT that day...
    Might as well do the club session as well.
  • edited January 2016
    Andrew - I'm interested in giving this a go, but I note that everyone else has signed up as "experienced". I've done one taster session! Granted I didn't fall off - I even made it to the top of the banking - but I don't want to get in the way if you're all going to be doing expert manoeuvres. I'm sure Robbie and/or Jane would be able to offer me candid advice if I'd be up to it??
  • Please join us Andy

If you have done a taster session then you are experienced and anyway these sessions are for all - we (well the coach(es)) will work out a plan to suit all when we know who is coming along.

Hope to see you at the track

Andrew
  • Hoping David Norris and Dave (- don't know your surname, sorry) who rode strongly with the 9:30 group today will join us too
  • Andy - yes, definitely, come ride the track
  • Signed up - can't wait to get back on the track! It's not very often that a grown man gets to do something that makes them feel like an excited kid is it?!
  • Does anyone fancy defraying their petrol costs in return for a lift for me and my velocipede to said velodrome?
  • I have signed up with velodrome experience which consists of a half day session at herne hill.

What is the deal with the bikes they have for hire? I have a SS that can be fixied up pretty easily.
  • Hi Robbie - if you want to come along please put your name on the Doodle - this will be 1 coach session and we are almost full...

Cheers

Andrew
  • Richard, the hire bikes are nice Condor's and are only a tenner. I would just hire one, you cant go wrong. There are quite a few specifications around bikes on the velodrome, bb height, crank length, tyre choice etc and often road going ss bikes wont make great velodrome bikes.
  • Herne Hill bikes are fine and last time I think they had mainly Fuji. Far easier to pick one of these up on site but rcommendation is to take your own multi tool as the seat posts were bolted rather than QR
  • cool the condor bikes sound better than my fuji. I was surprised how bad they were at Herne Hill.
  • It looks like there was yet another slow-speed crash at the velodrome over the weekend, which put two people in hospital, both with broken ribs/collapsed lungs. Those slow-speed crashes are the worst sometimes because you flop rather than slide.

In the interests of us all staying upright, please remember:

-- Keep the pressure on the pedals in the banking. If you let it off at slow speed or kick back, you WILL slide off and take people with you.
    -- If you are using your own bike, sand your tyres with fine sandpaper or an emory cloth, then clean them with distilled vinegar before getting on the track. This especially applies if the tyres are new, but also matters if they're used and dusty.

Broken things, collapsed lungs and A&E are all things I would not like to revisit anytime soon, or see anyone in the club have to experience either. See you Saturday! ;)
  • Andy

If you haven't sorted a lift then if you can get to my house in Letchworth I'll give you a lift down to the track and back.

Let me know and I'll PM my details if you want to join me.

Rgds

Andrew
  • Anyone else free for a go on the Velodrome tomorrow (experienced only this time)

We have space for 4 more as a couple had to pull out last minute.

Thanks

Andrew
  • Thanks Andrew, Adam's lifting me. See ya there.
  • I'm off home to vinegar my tubs ...
  • Top banana
    Good workout today too. Would put that close to SQT exertion levels at times and I was tired.

Excuse me for being vocal at times but that's what they teach you to do I the accreditation stages so I guess it's all part of it on the boards - letting people know what you are doing, where you want to go, what isn't quite right, how to make it better and most important be safe.

Great to see Robbie, Adam and Lil there too. Hope you all had a good one.

Had a look at the road circuit after - must have been a 1:30 start race and it looked alright. Course is a bit of a roller coaster by the look of it. Mmmmm
  • Well, I LOVED that!! Thanks Andrew for organising.

Many thanks all for accommodating this particular novice - it was great to ride with such a careful and considerate group.

One request: Please can someone whisper me the details of how to make my payment?
  • edited January 2016
    Good workout again in the SQT... managed to snap me saddle off getting on me bike on the third exercise. Picked up a hire bike but took me 8 laps to catch the group up. Beasted. Finished with a 30 lap scratch race with points for sprints every 5th lap from 20 to go. At 5 to go I went off with a small group... then managed to get half a lap in front with 2 to go but couldn't hold off one rider who caught me on the final straight. Finding it all very inspiring and learning loads. More of the same... still feel like a novice. Need lots more SQT time before track league. Might be ready for Welwyn in April.
  • edited January 2016
    Great day on the track, thanks for organising Andrew! James, the dosh should appear in the club account today, ref: Skeen Track Day.

These club sessions are really helping me get my nerve back on the bike, so very useful, thanks everyone for making it a great morning, and Adam C for the lift and conversation! For those that were asking about my crash, I've blogged the entire experience here, which might give you some idea why I'm still a bit nervy on the bike ...

Sounds awesome Robbie, well done mate!
  • Sounds like a good session, well done all. Robbie, you will already be ready for Welwyn now from all the experience you have gathered at Stratford. Did my level 3 last night, all fine but getting a bit bored with stuff ive been doing for 25 years. looking forward to just getting "on" with it at the sqt's.
  • Cheers for organising this was really good fun, i may well look into the accreditation steps.
    Could someone point me in the directions of the account details and I'll transfer the money.
  • Richard
    Account name Cycle Club Ashwell
    • Sort code: 20 – 41 - 12
    • Account number: 20382167
    • Please reference the words: VELO + your surname
    cheers
  • Cheers. It was £24 in the end wasnt it.
  • Right - £24
  • Thanks Andrew, I've done mine, did you see it??? A
  • Paid - sorry for the delay.