Welcome to the forum

Winter crits

edited January 2016 in Road Racing
Following on from last week's 2nd place for Adam Swan in the 4th cat only race and a string of top results for Mitchy and Barron in the E123s, I do believe we have some more good news. Elaborate please, chaps...

Comments

• Thanks Will.

Returned to Velo Park today for the 4th Cat race. Another wet day and executed exact same race plan as last week... That resulted in my first win and moved me up to 3rd Cat. Very pleased with result as have just finished a very solid 12 weeks training and has confirmed that my 5am dates with the turbo are working.

More importantly, after a fair bit of encouragement from me, Lil completed her first race. She was superb. It was an E1234 race with one elite in the field. Lil worked like a workhorse to try to reel back the elite rider from her solo breakaway. In the end, her efforts were not quite enough and she crossed the finish line third behind another lady who had sat on her wheel for 60mins. A great intro to racing and she's very keen to get her revenge....

Velo Park is a great facility and only a 70 minute drive away if anyone else fancies it?
  • Also some pretty impressive results from the CX Nationals as well...
  • Well done Adam and Lil. What was the plan Adam?
  • Thanks Stuart. Both weeks the plan was to sit in the bunch throughout but on the last lap get to the front and ensure I was well placed for the sprint finish. Worked well both times.
  • Well done Adam and Lil. Its quite an achievement just to be riding crits in January, let alone getting results!
  • edited January 2016
    Congratulations also due to Janet who was placed 3rd at Lea Valley just before Christmas.

Janet - if you were trying to keep it quiet, I'm sorry, but the rest of us want to celebrate! And if I'm already out of date and you've got more good news to share, please do
  • That's brilliant! More good news. A fair bit of blue on the podium this winter...
  • Thanks guys! It was great fun! If a little nerve racking at first.. Adam did great, proving that the training is working wonders! Can't wait to do some more... Massive congrats to Janet, who did so well and inspired me to give it a go also! I'm hoping that Jenny will come along too so we can get a loads of blue jerseys racing around the smooth Tarmac!
  • By the way, dont forget that the 2016 club road race cup points began on the 1st Jan, so remember to record all top 10 finishes. Looks like Adam and Lil are off to a cracking start!

Janet, likewise and make sure to tell us of your successes. Jenny? sounds right up your street.
  • edited January 2016
    Hi. Thanks Jane.

Myself & Gareth took part in our first crit on 12th Dec after a lot of badgering/encouragement from Barron! We were pretty nervous before the start but Mitchy helped us by giving us a few pointers.

It was tough and a windy day especially into the finishing straight, which made it tough going. The Elite shot off in the first lap and I was advised not to chase her, so settled into racing the other girls. It was a bit uneventful for the rest of the race, but probably did too much work on the front into the wind and I was pipped for second but was really pleased with a 3rd place. Gareth also got a point for finishing 9th with no training since he finished his charity ride in November.

I followed this up a week later with a 4th place, but was a completely different race where everyone went off the gun and 3 girls worked together.

Well done Lillie for Saturday, great result!! Hopefully I'll see you down there soon :-)
  • E123 at Velo Park for me today. A good step up with some ace teenagers blowing me apart. Got round in the bunch and was setting up for the sprint well when I got pushed into the grass coming out of the last corner. Absolutely gutted but a good racing lesson and managed to stay upright to finish about 15th. Lessons learnt.

Lil was once again unbelievable. Second place which she is annoyed with!! (So competitive). Her race came down to a sprint finish which she was leading, but with her head down she rode into the back of the men's race and was held up. That allowed the 1st Cat woman to sneak past her on the outside for the win. Again lessons learnt and we will both be back next week for more.

Was quite possibly the hardest hour I've ever had on a bike so far but so much fun. Would be great to have some more blue shirts there if anyone fancies it..??
  • Great riding and awesome result again Lil.

I'm up for the Winter Crits that start in April....
  • Top riding! Makes us all proud to wear the Ashwell shirt.
  • Well done you two. Just brilliant to read about your racing.
  • Excellent! Reckon Lil must be leading the CCA points comp.
  • Great to hear both of you racing :) I don't think I can not have a pop at this any more.. You are doing good in January so looking forward to your spring / summer race news!
  • It's actually really good fun, I'm glad I've done two races hopefully I'll begin to be less nervous!! My HR was really high when I wasn't working that hard just through nerves!! Haha loved it tho, I think if your thinking about having a go... Stop thinking and bite the bullet! It's great fun and there's nothing to lose... Well maybe a little skin but hopefully not!
  • Well done Adam & Lillie!

Myself & Janet hope to be down there soon after I recover from my health issues but won't be until March/April.
  • Just thought that I'd add that a new CCA recruit, Tom King, managed a mightily impressive 3rd place in the 4th cat race that Adam S won. A fantastic result for a 16yr old lad... He's just got his 3rd cat and is racing down at Hog Hill for the next few Saturdays. Say hello if you see a tall slim chap in a CCA skinsuit!
  • Well done Tom!
    Hopefully you and your Dad will also do some time trials later

Peter
    (Ex BYFC)