Welcome to the forum

Milton keynes CX

edited January 2016 in Cyclocross/Offroad
Quite a few of us headed over to the bowl yesterday to ride the central league event there. When we got there the course looked fantastic but we werent allowed on, something about a contractual dispute over the bowl owners and race organisers. Anyway, they seemed to get something sorted and the racing got underway.

It was quite icy to start with but soon turned to slop with most of the climbs becoming unrideable. There were some great twisting, slippery descents and good bits of tarmac between bog sections. Not being central league riders we were all gridded at the back but i enjoyed working my way through at least some of the field. My bike got so heavy with mud i couldnt lift it onto my shoulders! No idea where i finished as central arent quite as slick with the results as eastern. Our old friend John Polak was also there in preparation for the National Trophy today on the same course.

Sam went really well in the youth and Daniel and Pete looked to be having a good scrap when i left.

I hope they got the snow in MK, the racing today will be fantastic. Good luck to all the CCA riders riding there!

Comments

• I might have gone out with Martin and Vince this morning for a cx ride in the snow, but made the elimentary mistake of failing to clean my bike yesterday :(

• Well done all. Always tricky at Milton Keynes in the mud. Finding grip on the off camber sections earlier in the year when it was dry was hard enough.
  • It's very slippery at MK. Here's a little video, John's in it!
  • edited January 2016
    Cyclocross at MK Bowl is a festival of the off chamber. Just about the only sections which are level are the tarmac ones; everything else slopes alarmingly to one side or the other and almost always up or down. A real test of bike handling.

The video link in Dave’s post above illustrates the point well (poor John!). I have to say it wasn’t this bad yesterday, but I could tell my face was pulling ‘interesting expressions’.

I had a reasonable start having got a good grid place (as I’d done a Central race earlier). Such a position allowed me a splendid view of the ungridded Peter Daniels career past me at the speed of light. As well as being very technical the course demanded huge reserves of energy just to get round - I have never been so tired as yesterday afternoon. The fact that I woke up during this morning is amazing.

Many thanks to the hardest working pit man in the land: Sam Daniels - thanks buddy!

Looks like some good results are coming through for CCA today (see VeloUK.net)
  • I saw that video earlier, hadnt clocked that JP was starring!
  • I've dropped in to say a big thank you to Claire and Stevie who nursed my hands back to life after the race, hopefully they will see it here! You guys were amazing!

See you've already seen my #finesthour, I'm not too upset to have crashed there - most did at some point today (including Tim Gould!!) - but letting go of the bike was just poor form.

It's been great catching up with many from CCA at the Bowl over the weekend, see you soon at another event I am sure!
  • I have some stills for this which I will try to put up later (and some of you up right!!) Was good to catch up yesterday
  • edited January 2016
    Some great performances from the ladies: Jackie 4th Vet, Harley and Sophie came 5th and 9th respectively in U14s

Does the glory make it less of a chore to clean all that mud off your bikes ... or are you tempted to leave it there, as a memento?
  • always tempted to leave it but an extra 2kg for the next race puts me off