Welcome to the forum

Sunday March 6th 09:00 club run / Crest supporters run

edited March 2016 in Club runs
Okay it is going to be cold tomorrow morning, but this should not stop us. Unless there is ice.

I aim to post again tomorrow morning about 8.

All being well about 40 miles and no one gets dropped.

Comments

• There are 7 Ashwell in the Crest Reg A race over near Littlebury if you fancy coming out that way to watch or cheer us out the back...
  • Good luck!

And look after yourselves - v cold tarmac indeed
  • Good luck to the racers. Daniel we won't be there as we are in Wilts. Have a good one.
  • It's cold but the frost is waining so I think if we start with extreme care we will be okay.

Good suggestion Luke! We will head east and ride against your race through Littlebury Green and Strethill.

Good luck to all CCA racers.

Daniel
  • Thanks - great ride!
  • 5 people made up the CCA supporters club run today: Richard, Nathaniel, Strappy, James and myself. We learnt some lessons.

I had carefully devised a delightful route to get us to the race and back and loaded it onto my Garmin. By Barkway the little route on the tiny screen looked like a knot and I realised we were going to have to navigate from my memory or stop to look at the map (which I’d bought ‘just in case’). Anyway from this I learnt:

Garmins don’t like figure of ‘8’ routes,
    Two wrongs do make a right in Essex.

We got to the race to see our heros shaking their heads and off the back of the chase group. We rode anticlockwise round the circuit and this time saw the whole race go by. The lead group of about 8 riders did include one CCA rider and following one of our number shouting ‘Come on Tom’, we all joined in. The 2 minutes 45 seconds untill the chase group arrived comprised an enthusiastic discussion about whether it was Tom or not. The justification being given was ‘Well, he was tall and young’.

The chase group seemed to contain all the other CCA riders and, I am delighted to say, no shaking heads this time. Will was definately in that group (by which I am not implying you are short). The marshals seemed to think there were two or three laps to go, so maybe ‘Tom’ got chased down?

Anyway it looked hard racing today. Cold, hilly, early season and fast. Well done one and all and well done ‘Tom’ for getting on that break.

So the final lesson is:

We need a fanzine (large type please) with picures of the CCA racers and a small biog for each rider like ‘X has been racing for y years and is tall and young’.

Not sure how far we went as I forgot to start the clock on my Garmin (those buttons are so fiddly as well).

BTW; is there a club discount available at Specsavers?
  • 8 away in the break, they finished 6 minutes or so in front of the bunch and the rider away was a certain Charlie Passfield who needed to finish 2nd today to get his 2nd cat.

Glad to say that we have another 2nd cat in the club! Exceedingly strong ride from Charlie, it was a very tough race. One for the little light ones on that hilly finish.

Due to slightly less than vigilant positioning we did drop out the back a bit but managed to get back on and all of us rolled over in the bunch.

Tres chilly.
  • I missed the club run but made it up to the circuit to support.
    Great to see CCA in the break and congrats on the 2nd place.
    The guys looked to be going well in the much reduced bunch as well.
    There are pictures on my Strava ride from today.
  • Thanks for the cheering guys - REALLY helps. That was tough. Charlie is clearly a talented young man!
  • Thanks Daniel for a very enjoyable morning, nothing wrong with a bit of good old fashioned navigating. Good CCA teamwork and great ride Charlie.
  • Well done everyone that sounds like a great start to the season....go Charlie!
  • Well done to the racers!

Daniel, a classic case of GDS -- Garmin Dependence Syndrome, haha!
  • edited March 2016
    Some pics from Jeremy P. Well done chaps! Looking at strava: amazing power and effort there.
    null

null

null
  • There are flames coming out of the Audi that's chasing - lads must have been going at speed!

See what you mean about needing a guide to identifying riders. Guessing that Will's the one with the blue booties ... and those are Neil's knees?