Welcome to the forum

CCA Club Sessions at Gosling Velodrome, Welwyn

edited June 2016 in General
We have seen a growth in interest in hard track riding over the past few months. There are lots of events coming up including Friday day night track league, youth track schools, pursuit championships, indoor track leagues, plus our regular club sessions at Lee Valley. The club coaches have discussed this and agreed that the key to becoming a better rider is more track time. We also recognised that this is complex and expensive when booking Lee Valley, piggy backing on other clubs sessions or navigating through the various levels of accreditation. This is where we can help...

Today we have made a series of block bookings at the Welwyn Velodrome for some CCA only sessions over the next few months. These are open sessions for club members and the purpose of the sessions is primarily about extra track time with the session content being flexible depending on who wants to attend.
- For youth riders, we will likely be focusing on core track skills and racing techniques so they can gain confidence for future race participation.
- For adult riders there may be a need for more endurance activities or discipline specific race practice.

The details:
- Each session will cost £10 per rider and be for 2-3 hours
- Sessions will be coach led with a minimum of 2 coaches for each session - either Tim, Jackie, Mark Wyer or myself
- Riders will need to have access to their own track bike - we won’t be borrowing Welwyn Wheelers bikes at this stage - grass track bikes can’t be used on the hard track
- A maximum of 24 riders will be able to attend each session - 12 riders per coach
- Groups will be allocated based on track experience and ability
- If the events are over-subscribed priority will either be given to youth riders or sessions will be split into shorter back to back slots
- The sessions do not provide track accreditation - merely extra track time and experience, which in turn will help when you race or take your accreditations
- Sessions will only be held if the weather is dry - cancellations will be made with as much notice as possible using the CCA forum and Youth Facebook page
- Riders need to turn up at least 15 minutes before the start of a session

Dates
The calendar through spring and summer is very congested, we have tried to pick dates that clash with as little as possible. However we can’t avoid every clash, sorry!
Sunday April 3rd 9-12pm CANCELLED
Sunday April 17th 4-7pm
Saturday May 14th 4-7pm
Saturday June 4th 4-7pm
Sunday June 12th 4-7pm
Sunday July 10th 9-12pm

A doodle poll has been set up. Please use the link below to access and secure your place.
http://doodle.com/poll/zhz554n7e828an6a

Any questions, ideas or comments, please comment on this thread

Thank you

The youth coaching team

Comments

• This is a great initiative Jamie. Thanks to you ad the coaching team. I hope I can make some of these sessions.
  • Jamie, this sounds great and thanks for it organised. Unfortunately I don't have a track bike, but otherwise I'd be there :(
  • Hi Jamie just interested what is the rules about types of bikes? Why no grass track bikes
  • Stuart, I think he means you can't use grass track tyres. It's not an issue for most but some people have tubs for grass track so can't change their tyres over for hard track.
  • OK thanks Dave. Thought that was probably the reason. Should not be a problem for us then
  • Yes and remember if you are using your grass bike you will need to up the gearing. somewhere 84-88 will be ok for Welwyn.
    My bike is available for anyone to borrow if im coaching. It will be a bit big Jane but i think will just about work.
  • Signed up - looking forward to the sessions
  • I've just signed up. Really looking forward to this. I've been to the velodrome in London a few times and really enjoyed it. I am new to the CC Ashwell (joined in January) and have been injured since then, so haven't actually taken part in any club activities yet. Looking forward to getting involved and meeting you all.
  • Quick update. 3rd April session cancelled

Unfortunately there has been a low number of people signed up for the first session at Gosling, meaning its not cost effective to go ahead with the booking. I guess we were a little optimistic to book a session in the Easter holidays.
    We will now start the sessions on Sunday 17th April

Apologies for any inconvenience

Jamie
  • Thanks Jamie.

There this Monday for accreditation.
  • Well... that Monday two weeks ago was pure training with no accreditation. Last Monday was rained off. This Monday fingers crossed... so tmw ill be there.
  • Went down Welwyn track to the Monday training session last night. Fully recommended if you're quite familiar with track racing and need to be pushed into race experience. Well organised and top coaching by our chap Richard Maynard. Good to see the CCA youth in action too. Very strong riders. So, coach Maynard signed me up for the Friday track league - cheers ears!
  • Well done Robbie!
  • Check out the old boy racing at Herne Hill.... top tips right at the end. Link
  • Hmm, I'm not convinced that that's how you got to be so strong on a bike :)

New training regime for 2016?
  • There tmw for track time training
  • Details for tomorrows session at Welwyn Velodrome.

Please arrive by 3:45 as we will be starting warm up at 4:00 sharp and access to the track will be limited once the session starts. I've not managed to arrange loan bikes from Welwyn Wheelers so the session will be limited to those with their own bikes. The session will cost £10 to cover the costs of hiring the velodrome.

15 signed up, and we will be split into 2 groups for the sessions

Group 1 - Coach: Tim Duckett
    Holly Proctor
    Sophie Proctor
    David Hadsley
    Adam Lightfoot
    Jonathan Sunderland
    Ian Foulkes
    Robbie Laughton

Group 2 - Coach: Jamie Quiggin
    Sam Quiggin
    Joseph Hadsley
    Rhys Cairns
    Mark Lightfoot
    Archie Foulkes
    Nathan Hardy
    Alfie Duckett
    Maizie Ross
  • Big thanks to Jamie and Tim for organising and coaching. Really enjoyed the training session.
  • sorry to be a no show...track legs from friday night! will settle up nonetheless!
    iain
  • Nor around on the 4th June but looking forward to the next two.
  • 15 signed up for this Sundays session on the doodle poll. More spaces available for budding track riders.
    We have a planned a fun session including skills and speed/endurance activities.

Track is booked from 4pm and the session lasts 2 hours - only £10 to cover the costs of hiring the track.

See you Sunday
  • Jamie, will you post if it's off due to rain?
  • Yep - will keep an eye on the weather
  • It's raining already in Welwyn and forecast to continue for most of the day. Therefore for safety reasons we have decided to cancel this afternoons session at Gosling Velodrome.

Spaces are left on the final session on July 10th. Sign up if you want to come along.
  • Thanks Jamie.
  • The final session of our spring summer bookings is on this Sunday from 9-11am at the Welwyn Velodrome. There are still some spaces left if anyone wants to join in.