Welcome to the forum

Chain gangs 2016

edited April 2016 in Chain gangs
I'll get the ball rolling then...

Chain gangs! Great fun and a brilliant way to improve fitness and riding technique. Great for people wanting to race. And a great way to enjoy the summer. Give them a go!

Two laps of the same 9 miles loop. Three laps as the summer peaks. Link to the course, here.

Every Tuesday until the end of August. Leaving the Three Tuns, Ashwell 7.30pm, to the start in Steeple Morden, at the junction heading towards Litlington.

The group objective is to achieve a smooth and steady chain and go as fast as possible. Maybe you'll get dropped... it doesn't matter. Try again next week and maybe stay at the back until you can keep up. Or ride the other way and try and get back on as the group comes around again.

Stuart made this great video from last season's fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY7VmL-4RZs&feature=youtu.be

I'll be there next Tuesday 26th April. Sunset is 8.17pm. Enough sun for two laps - but lights required thereafter. Ride safe, shout out obstructions and instructions loudly and clearly. Stay tight but watch for getting too close and overlapping wheels. Keep the pace smooth, no sudden acceleration. Ride tidily at all times: all the things we should do all the time.

Note that there are now large speed bumps as you leave Litlington that will mean riders will have to take care to negotiate.

And the road surface shortly after the kink in the road after South Farm was repaired last week - but there are still bike wheel sized holes they've not repaired. Take care - as they sort of spring out of nowhere. And the group really must come to a stop at the Shingay T-junction shortly after.

null

Comments

• All sounds good Martin

Noah and I hoping to be there
  • Never been on before, will aim to give it a go / dramatically fall off the back on the 26th.
  • edited April 2016
    i really enjoy riding the CCA chain gang but wondered if I'm the only one who finds the circuit dangerous?
    Specifically the section from Bassingbourne to Shingay.
    The road is very narrow and there are several blind bends.
    More worrying is the oncoming traffic that almost brushes your shoulder when riding 2 abreast.
    Many vehicles travelling at >60mph.
    I suggest the club could do a much safer triangle based around Ashwell/Odsey/Steeple?
    Comments welcomed.
    JP
  • Well, I'm not sure about the speed bumps at Litlington. Cars heading into Litlington tend to straddle them to avoid going over them meaning they often end up across the white line. The road into Bassingbourn is also in bad shape.

The road from Bassingbourn to the Shingay turn is bad. Between the Black Barn (Abington Pigotts turn) and South Farm the road is getting narrower and
    there are some decent holes. I've also got to say I didn't notice that after South Farm that it had been repaired.

Just a general reflection on the state of our roads?
  • Rode back from the Shingay turn into Bassingbourn.
    Most of the holes after South Farm have been filled.
    The main problem, in my opinion, is the loss of the verge between the Black Barn and South Farm which makes the road narrow.
    But should be Ok with tight riding and everyone paying attentions! There are still some craters but they are mostly in the middle of the raid and shouldn't be an issue.
  • Yes, our course has its problems. lm also worried about the speed bump, as Peter says oncoming traffic will be straddling the right hand one meaning the right hand line of riders would have to go over the bump or single out and all go left. potholes also an issue, the stretch from littlington to bassingbourn still has the very long broken line which i dont like.

I suggest we stick to Martins plan above at least for a week or two and see what people think. We did use the AOS triangle the year before last when we had resurfacing going on. Its shorter and from memory didnt work too well, possibly because there are no flat bits and its very hard to settle into a rhythm, sort of becomes hill reps, however it might have been that Theo and Cam were smashing it a bit too! It might well be safer though and maybe we can try it.
  • I suggest we call out to single out as we go past the pub in Litlington, and the chain then takes the safer side of the bump.

Then rechain steadily after, as the rider at the back could have a long haul to the front.

I think the current route is good for chaining as it's largely flat and gentle. Let's negotiate the tighter parts of the course with double-extra attention and care and see how it goes.

AOS: I worry about the Ashwell section where cars are parked and traffic generally bolts down. There are two traffic calming points to worry about and we'd be in Odsey at commuter [train] time. I accept every course is flawed in some way though. It'd be nice to razz around an empty Bassingbourn airfield one day!
  • Yes, the traffic calming as you leave Ashwell i find dangerous in a car or on a bike. Ludicrously it says the same thing on both sides, i think its give way to traffic thats already in the 10 metre section, resulting in a sort of....if you get there first you have priority game of chicken....bonkers.

Yes, chaingangs will always require supreme extra attention and care wherever they are.
  • Nothing wrong with hills in a chaingang, you just have to ride them slower, don't go smashing up them so you can carry on pushing down the other side... Steady effort, not steady speed. Always results in going faster, especially when riding in a chaingang or a break.
  • Therein lies the challenge!
  • Ride smoothly, no freaking out and should be fine in the old circuit. The small triangle is not great through ashwell. The turn in bassingbourn on the bigger circuit is ok if you keep a tight line but needs care and good handling. Slowing down too much is hazardous but staying in the left side of the road is the most important thing.
    Let's get the chaingang started on 26th. I think it will be popular this year. The more the merrier.
    Depart 7.30 sharp if possible.
  • Hi, will there be a beginners chain on the 3rd?
  • Hi Stiggers. Not sure there'll be a specific beginners group. Just dive on in I say with the group. Stay sharp and ride smoothly.
  • Well, theres no organised beginners chaingang unless a group of beginners want to turn up and ride it at a slightly slower pace in which case i would advise setting off as a group a minute or two behind the main chaingang. Otherwise, Kevin just bowl up and give it a go. Just dont do a turn if its too pacey and if you get dropped either hook up with other droppees or ride round the other way and jump on again!
  • Ok Martin & Tim....thanks. My bike legs aren't great, but I'll dive in, hang on for dear life & keep dreaming of a pint at club night after!
  • Thats the spirit!